Glacier NP status?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by tfischer, Feb 5, 2021.

1. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone know what's going on a Glacier NP? They are saying that whether St. Mary's campground will open in 2021 is still "under review". Many of the private campgrounds on the east side (the direction we would come from) aren't taking reservations, while the KOA right on the east entrance is booked for the vast majority of the summer (every site, every night) and the remaining sites are $130+ a night??

I'm confused lol. We camped at Great Smokey NP last summer right in the heart of Covid season, so I'm assuming it's more than that?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

All the COE and BOR campgrounds around here are closed until further notice. I think they would rather open last minute and have folks pay then, than open now and potentially have to do mass refunds.

4. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

kitphantom likes this.
  5. tfischer

We have a call in to Glacier... had to leave a message. In the meantime we got a fully cancellable reservation at Glacier Campground, a private campground just outside the west entrance. So we at least have options now.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

If you find yourself on the west side, stop into Polebridge.
    Polebridge Mercantile & Bakery - Supplies & Food Glacier National Park

Early am for baked goods and coffee, then take the dirt road into GNP to Bowman and Kintla lakes. Get's you away from most other visitors, or add another day to your itinerary.

Glacier is fantastic, enjoy your trip.

tfischer likes this.
  7. tfischer

How is the road from Polebridge to Bowman? I'm seeing that Bowman to Kintla is really rough and 4x4 recommended, and seeing mixed info on Polebridge to Bowman. I'll be in a minivan so not high clearance at all much less 4x4.

8. Overland

I'm sorry for the late response..

I saw plenty of Minivans, even a few passenger cars along the route..

Bet you could find vid's on utube that show the drive to get a good idea.

tfischer likes this.
  9. tfischer

Thanks for the reply! I did find a video, and it was way better than I expected. I'll probably ask a ranger for advice once we get there, but I would sure like to try going to Bowman as the video made it look stunning.

Overland likes this.
  10. Overland

It IS stunning! I'd share a few photo's but photo"hijack"bucket holds them with a watermark for ransom.. and the originals are on a laptop that the screen went dark.

I came home wanting a piece of land along North Fork Rd when i hit the lottery.. but that tends to happen everywhere. ;)

tfischer likes this.