Glorious MI - Tawas Pt. SP

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by MIlover, Aug 21, 2013.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

My family just wrapped up one week at Tawas Pt. SP in NE MI. We first visited this campground on our pup's maiden voyage late last summer, and were determined to come back. It's not a campground for the boondockers, but for families with small children, it's wonderful. The sites are fairly generous in size and mostly all grassy with a good amount of trees. The campground is on a point, so you have Lake Huron on one side, Tawas Bay on the other, and a lighthouse at the end that's a short walk away. There is a stocked fishing pond and a beautiful sugar sand beach, which you don't always find on Lake Huron. East Tawas has a few little shops/restaurants, and a very laid-back feel. And, while I LOVE the west side of our beautiful state, I will say that this part of MI is much less built up, and has more of an old-time vacation town feel.

When we arrived, there was an immediate SPUT: DH left our camper keys at home. While the pup was unlocked (thankfully?), the padlock on our hitch was NOT. Add to this, a wound up three-year old who was hungry. Thankfully, the office sent a couple of rangers by with bolt-cutters. Crisis averted.

Highlights: We got in a couple of beach days, did a little kite-flying with DD, ate at an excellent pizzeria in town, saw a few shooting stars from the Perseids, took in a sunset over the bay, and on a colder day, we did a scenic tour of the AuSable River and several scenic overlooks/monuments. Oh, and we also met another nice couple with children who gave us a tour of their brand-new *cough* ahem, HTT.

Dislikes: The family who let their toddler play unattended in the campground road, on a curve, on the other side of the trailer they were sitting behind. I stopped for him when driving, sat there, and the parents just called for him - no one actually came and picked him up. I know kids bike and play on campground roads all of the time, but a toddler should NOT be out there unattended. A slow-moving vehicle is still a moving vehicle. It really burns me when I see that. I always watch our DD when she's in the road. Our other dislike - the large, extended family of about 15 people, who plopped down their camping chairs on the middle of the beach right behind us (that part was fine), and proceeded to let their kids begin digging huge holes and trenches about 1.5 feet away from our beach blanket. The adults proceeded to start drinking beer, while completely ignoring their children. Lest I sound like an ogre, let me clarify: We were sitting in the middle of the beach. This was not near the shore, where kids always dig holes and build castles in the sand. And, there was plenty of beach on either side of us! But no, their kids started running past us with buckets of water, flinging sand, and digging Right. Next. To. Our. Blanket. I'm sure they didn't know better, but that's why parenting might have come in handy.

Annoying people aside, it was an excellent family vacation and I recommend the park to anyone who wants an easy and pleasant SP campground for the family!

2. vanjr

vanjr New Member

any pictures of the campground?

sounds good (except the run-a-way toddler)

3. 1madscot

1madscot Member

Did you eat at 'G's'? They have good pizza, or did the last time I was in E. Tawas.

4. MIlover

MIlover Member

Yes! We loved G's. It was great pizza; different from the usual fare. I will try to post pictures soon. I've not yet done so on the portal, but should probably get around to [RTM] the thread that explains it.

5. MIlover

MIlover Member

Shortly after I posted this, I realized I'm an idiot, because I DID post pics to the Portal when I first joined, about a year ago. I just forgot - completely. [::)] Let's try this again.

Sunset over Tawas Bay
    [​IMG]
    2013-08-14 20.24.18 by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

Sunset at the Tawas Point Lighthouse
    [​IMG]
    2013-08-14 20.23.43 by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

Evening rainbow over the pond that was behind our campsite
    [​IMG]
    2013-08-12 20.03.17 by MIGirl2012, on Flickr

6. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

7. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Did you get a chance to run to Mitch's Pizza in Tawas always good. We went up to Harrisville 28 miles north of there, the last time we went to Tawas point park the water at the camp site was low and great for the kids swimming and you can watch the sun go down on the bay. Great Camping

8. MIlover

MIlover Member

Agreed Bondo! I happen to love our state, except maybe a few times in the winter and during road construction season. [LOL]

Brian, we didn't make it into Mitch's Pizza. Next time...

9. bropaul

bropaul New Member

The Cakelady and I will be there next Wednesday for a week. Alex the Wonder Dog loves the dog beach. I understand that the pizza places will deliver to the campground. We'll have to check it out.

Paul

10. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

Tawas and a few campsites in the thumb area are on my bucket list of parks to visit.

11. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

thank you for posting this. I was just at Silver Lake SP during the week with my family and was feeling kind of down....... too many loud people, too many smoky fires that blew right into the PUP (because the fire ring was 5 feet away), and the bathrooms were kind of dirty. SO, planning for next summer Tawas is on my list for a full week in July and we are bringing all the bikes.

12. MIlover

MIlover Member

Peace, was that your first time camping at Silver Lake? While the dunes are beautiful, it does tend to be more of a crowded, party-atmosphere SP. If you want to camp in that area, try Ludington SP. It's an amazing park with a few different campgrounds and no shortage of things to do - bike trails, hiking, beaches, fishing, boating - you name it. It is always full in the summer, but doesn't have the same atmosphere as Silver Lake. However, I do think you would love Tawas Pt. if you are looking for a quieter, relaxed, SP campground. Better luck next time!

13. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

This is definatly on our to-do list. That and the U.P. So many places, so little time.

DG

14. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Just made a reservation there in August. Have always wanted to go there. So excited!