Glucose Meter

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Camp-N-Nuts, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Hi, what is a good brand/model meter? I see so many brands and the costs of testing tabs...it gets confusing! Do they all give you both Glucose level and A1C?
    Thanks!

2. WadeT

WadeT New Member

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I have used the Freestyle brand for 12 years until recently when I switched to an insulin pump and got a meter that works with the pump. DO NOT BUY A METER!!! Folks will be lining up to give you one for free because then you have to buy their test strips. The test strips are where they make the money. Glucose meters will not give you an A1c or Glycogenated hemoglobin reading. This is a blood test you will get at your doctor's office. Some insurance will only pay for one a year, some every 6 months and fortunately for me, mine will pay for one every 3 months now that I am on a pump.

4. capy235co

capy235co Member

I have the one touch ultra and like it. My insurance covers my strips. When I was without insurance, Wal-Mart has a meter and test strips that cost half of the name brands under their reliance in house brand name.

As stated A1C is a test from the doctors office that measures your last 90 day average. Have you doctor write your prescription for 4 test strips per day. Test before each meal and once per day 2 hours after your meal. A Diabetes education class is worth your time, covered by most insurance, and often given free.

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

As previously mentioned, the A1C is a lab test done, usually every 6 mo. just to see how your overall control is doing.

I've found the TRUEresult meter (a Walgreen's brand made by NiPro) to be accurate and the test strips are about the cheapest you'll find. Less than half of some brands. The only other one that was close was a Walmart branded meter. I choose the Walgreen's one since they're just about everywhere.

Nice thing about the NiPro meter is that you can download the results into a PC. This allows you to see your results over a long period of time and groups the data so you can spot trends and make appropriate adjustments in your medication schedule, eating habits, etc. Good summary for your Dr. too. Using this tool, I've managed to get my A1C from a 12.0 to a 6.1, which is in the normal range, in a matter of 6 mo. by making changes.

While I was only diagonosed earlier this yr, I have a lot of experience with diabetes as both parents had/have it and my 1st wife was a Type 1 and my 2nd a Type 2. I agree that 4 tests/day is a good idea. The more info., the easier it is to achieve tight control. Most people will benefit from a referral to a nutrianist who can help you understand how different foods affect you although I already had a pretty good idea. Didn't do that in my case since I already had a pretty good idea.

BTW, my personal experience is that a little bit of exercise goes a long way in getting your blood sugar under control. I've found that by doing a bit more work around the house and cutting back on a few things, it's pretty easy to get things under control. Loosing 10-15 lbs will also help tremendously and will just happen if you follow the food guidelines and burn a few calories off by doing some work around the house.

6. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Thanks to all for setting me straight! [;)]

7. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Here in Canada the meters are usually free as the companies make money off the test strips. I used the Accucheck Compact Plus for years and liked it. Accuracy was spot on. It used the test strips that were encased in a drum (17 strips per drum) so you didn't have to fiddle each test with strips. About a month ago I got a Lifestyle meter that figures out your insulin dosage in several different ways (requires an indepth interview with your diabetic counselor to set it up) but so far has worked out good.
    Test strips for the Accucheck were $98 (CDN) for a box of 6 drums/102 tests and for the Lifestyle are $78 for 100 strips. As I am now classed as a senior, I am on the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan that pays the major portion of my prescription, my group plan pays 80% of the balance and my particular drug store waves any remaining charges under $2, so my strips end up being free as do all of my medications now.

A1c meters are available but for the cost and the times you use them, it is easier to go to the doctor's office for the test, covered here in Canada by your provincial hospitalization plan.

A1c tests are not a good indication of your control and daily testing is much the preferred way to go. The A1c test only gives you an average over the last ~90 days. You could be high half the time and low half the time and the A1c will show you a good reading, when in reality it is not the case.

8. ricko

ricko Member

I'm a third generation diabetic... So let me add some additional perspective.

The things they told my Grandmother are very different from what they told my father and the things they told my brother are very different from what they told... Get the drift? Science finds new things all the time and the tests only get more accurate.

Two things - get in a class or session with your spouse/partner/significant other and a dietician ASAP - we found one that spent time learning what I liked to eat and recommended changes based on my preferences - provided shoppings lists, etc. sort of an 'eat this, not that' sort of thing. We were swimming in hearsay anecdotal suggestions from all over the place that only led to frustration. It will be worth your time and $$$

Second - start walking or getting exercise - today - our typical corporate culture doesn't always seem to favor getting up for a walk but it will help you focus and be more productive the rest of the day.

I'm 13 months into this thing, down 50lbs and have cut my A1C from 11 to 5.4.

It's not the end of the world, take this bull by the horns!! You can do it!

Ricko

9. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

riko - good for you. Wish I was doing that good.

10. speckhunter80

Your local health department most likely as a diabetes educator/health care nurse, contact them. Your doctor's office may also have someone that teaches diabetes wellness classes.

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Congrats Ricko!! [8D]

Alan : The problem I find with the meters is some companies are now rolling different versions out faster than the computer world!! And each version has a SPECIFIC test strip and lancet it uses. From experience, I'd go to my local pharmacist and ask them what brand seems to have that longevity on the market place.

I use an Accu-Chek Aviva. While my insurance pays for them AND the lancets (also 'custom'), if they run out they will let me use a local pharmacy...thus asking the pharmacist if they carry my brand and continue to.

I check first thing in the morning and that's usually enough to keep me "in line" for the day. But I'm far from where I need to be due to my knee injury last Dec. and the heart surgery as well. Exercise is not in my vocabulary right now, other then the Physical Therapy I take 3x a week. When that gets better, then I can start strength training and walking.

And like has been said, get into a NUTRITION class. I loved making plates of rubber food and finding out how ignorant I was, not knowing a vegetable from a starch. ARG

[:D]

12. froggie

froggie New Member

My daughter is Type 1 so must check at least 4 times a day. Amercian Diabetes Association gave her 2 AccuCheck Aviva meters when she was diagnosed. With insurance, however, the test strips were $50 for 2 boxes of 50. Our pharmacist recommended contacting Liberty, or some other company in that business, and we now get unlimited strips for no charge. They contact me when she should be getting low on those or any of her other supplies, and then they ship them to my door.

13. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I don't have insurance, so I use the Relion which is Walmart's brand. It's probabaly the cheapest on the market including strips. Funny thing that the A1c was mentioned....
    I had this test in September, at my doctor's office where they used a little meter that was the size of a glucometer, no more blood vials of blood need be drawn. Has me thinking that probably some of the name brand glucometers now can also do an HA1C too.

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

raymonk,
    Do what Froggie is doing. We have three companies here who offer free classes, meters, strips, and lancets. Two of them even offer a gym to use and nutritionist to help adjust the diet. And it all FREE.

Make that call!!

[:D]

15. speckhunter80

It would appear that at least one company Bayer Pharmeceuticals now has an A1c meter that they market only to professionals. It is called the Bayer A1cNOW. This is the only one that I have found in my research. A standard glucose meter will not perform A1c tests.

16. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Ask you MD what he/she would like you to have, and they will have software that can download the results from your glucometer, so they can see what your blood sugars have been when you test.

Your glucometer takes a "snapshot" of what your bloodsugar is at the time that it was taken, while the A1C shows where your bloodsugars have been over the past 3 months.

17. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Yes, I understand hemoglobin get too "fat and sassy" and the A1C is like "miles/gallon" average...I just thought the meters did that. Possibly I saw some advert on the Bayer one? [?:~{]

18. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Thanks Rotnmom for your concern, but it really doesn't work that way. As an insulin only dependent Diabetic my insulin costs $575 a month not including syringes and test strips. Right now since September I have applications out for assistance, but haven't heard anything yet. Thankfully my doctor has given me some insulin samples, or I might have been headed to the big campground in the sky. Like anything else. there's alot of red tape, and what might be available for one isn't available for another.
    You need to change your user name RotnMom, you're not rotten at all.

19. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Re: Glucose Meter/I'm now approved

Before Christmas, I set up a meeting to talk with the office manager at my Dr's medical complex. The office mgr was out but I did get a chance to talk with the person who works directly under her. Turns out that I remember her when she was growing up and a friend of my daughters. She and the staff dropped everything and looked into what the reason was that I wasn't approved for medical help yet. Within he next two weeks I received letters stating that I am approved

20. speckhunter80

Good to hear.