Glucose Meter

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Camp-N-Nuts, Nov 25, 2012.

1. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Way to go!!! And good for you!! Hopefully this makes things easier for you.

;D
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Wonderful for you, sometimes its not who you are but who you know [8D]

3. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Hey everone when it comes to test strips, syringes and other supplies check to see how your insurance company (if you have any) covers them. I found out that if I go to a drug store and get them they are subject to a copay. I stop into a place that deals only in medical supplies the checked thing out and found out if billed under durable medical goods they are covered 100%. As far as the meter they hand them out like candy. I called the manufacture asked a question about mine they told me it was obsolete and sent me the newer version of it at no charge. Like said earlier the money is in the strips.

4. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Hey, I went with the New Walmart one because the test strips are 50/$9. It's called Reli-On Prime...something like $16 for the meter. Seems good to me...but I'm no expert! [:O] [LOL]

5. froggie

froggie New Member

With no insurance? That is a fantastic price.

6. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Alan,

What do the lancets run?? Are they singles, or in the little circular barrel?

[:D]

7. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

They're single, 10 with the device and 210 for $5.84. They're so thin you feel nothing! [:O]

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Dang! That IS cheap. My co-pays are cheap, but I might have to do another comparison!

Thanks, Alan!

;D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

9. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I looked for 2 weeks at 3 different Walmarts because they were always out of one thing or the other...and finally on my day-off I managed to find the whole kit and caboodle! So they must be selling well! [A]

10. JustJoe

JustJoe New Member

I am one of the lucky ones that has Type II diabetes. I guess that I am lucky to be able to go to the VA for most of my Medication including my meter and strips. I have to test 4 times a day, so what I do is change the lancets only at the end of the day so I don't have to go through a lot of the lancets. Plus it makes it easier to keep track of them. I make sure that I save a 2 liter soda bottle to use as a container for test strips and the needles, this way you don;t have to worry about throwing them away at a CG.

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Had an A1c done three weeks ago....5.6 My insurance carrier has teamed up with a drug manufacturer different then the one that makes my insulin and they are not going to allow me to continue to take my insulin. My doctor has requested a medical exemption and it appears I can still use what I am using as the new drug company has no equivalent to what I am currently using. Unfortunately though each time I get the prescription filled my co-pay will be $25 more on top of the fact my insurance went up this year. We are going to try and see if I can get a double prescription and only pay one co-pay.

12. wecamp

wecamp Member

You might try getting a 90 day supply. Our 90 day supply charges 2 time the 30 day copay but you get 3 times the days.

It is worth asking about.

13. davej

davej New Member

My insurance covers meters and strips as DME, but since I am not taking insulin, they will only cover ONE test strip per day (35/month). Since testing at least 3 times a day is my preferred method, buying the Walmart meter/strips to supplement my testing is the optimal solution for me.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk

14. froggie

froggie New Member

My daughter is Type 1. We enrolled in Blue Cross Blue Shield's Wellness Program. Every 3 months I talk with a nurse about her, and we get a lower copay. If they scan the insulin first, the supplies are "free." I found ketostix for $10.99 over the counter minus our Rite Aid wellness card discount. Office of Group Benefits in Louisiana did away with the medical supply carrier we used. Liberty. They were great! No copays for supplies. Sent 3 month supplies.

15. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I have been diabetic for almost 25 yrs. I am type II but have been on insulin most of that time. I have insulin resistance, so I take huge amounts of insulin. We had been insured by Blue Cross/Blue Shield for years, and I had to pay a co-pay for each vial of insulin I used.

A couple of years ago, DH was laid off of his job, and in an attempt to cut costs, I did some insurance shopping. I work for the federal government, and we have about 10 different plans to choose from. At this same time, the every other week premium for Blue Cross/Blue Shield was going up. One of the plans, had a premium that was $50.00 less per pay period. It had the same coverage and in some cases better coverage than BC/BS, so it saved us a good amount in premiums. We get our prescriptions from CVS on their 90 day program. The first time that we refilled our prescriptions, to my surprise, a 90 day supply of insulin had a $65.00 co-pay (what I was paying for 2 vials under the old plan. At the time, I had a couple of non-generic meds too, so under the new plan, we save about $5,000.00 per year on prescription co-pays.

DH was recently put on an expensive medication for his liver that we were told by the MD that insurance companies don't often pay for this med on an outpatient basis, and that the cost was very expensive. Curious me, I went out on the internet and found out that the monthly cost is $1,000 to $1,400 per month. Our insurance fortunately covers it and our co-pay is only $80.00 for a 3 month supply.

I realize that not everyone is so lucky to have the opportunity to choose from a number of plans from their employer. But I think if you go with a 90 day plan, you can save a significant amount.

Also, check with your Doctor, they have samples but many don't offer them. My endocrinologist always gives me a couple of vials of both short and long acting insulin when I have an appointment with him. DH's Dr. doesn't offer samples, but does have them. DH is on Coumadin for his mechanical heart valve and A-fib. Sometimes, like if he has a procedure coming up, he needs to take enoxaparin shots (blood thinners) twice a day, and the cost per shot (before insurance) is over $100.00 per shot. On many occasions, he has asked and received up to a 10 day supply of shots from the clinic, saving a huge amount of co-pays.

Also, if your Dr. is wanting to put you on a new medication (which most likely won't generic) ask if they have samples. I have received samples of medications that caused side effects, and would have been stuck with 90 days if I had purchased the meds instead of getting samples. Also, one time, I was put on a new medications (oral anti-diabetic) which I got samples for that was pulled off the market shortly after it's introduction.

If your Dr. puts you on a new med, (non-generic) ask if there is a tried & true generic med. My brother was put on a non-generic med when he was diagnosed with high blood pressure, and eventually changed to a generic older med that worked better for him. Be honest with your MD about the cost of your medications. Most MD's assume that if people have insurance, it's ok to prescribe new higher prices meds. If you have multiple medical issues like DH & I have, the co-pays can kill your budget.

By the way I use my lancet for a week or so as these are not covered by insurance.

DH just spent almost 6 months in hospitals & rehab centers and I was in Momma Bear mode, protecting my cub. I am a nurse, so I do have a bit of medical knowledge. DH's medical bills during this time exceeded a million dollars. I do ask if specific treatments/tests are required/necessary. MD's like to do a lot of tests, and will do so if you are insured. I've been told by MD's, "why do you care, you have insurance".