Go new or old?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by anothersmith, Apr 12, 2019.

1. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

I've found 2 pop up's that I like the look of, one is 2007 @ $6k and the other is 2015 @ $11k.

I like this newer Forest River 2716G better, but it's $11k https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015-Forest-River-ROCKWOOD-PREMIER-2716G-5006706999

This 2007 Fleetwood Williamsburg 4150 is much less @ $6k but clearly it's an older unit with fewer bells and whistles. https://www.seegrinsrv.com/inv/2007-Fleetwood-Williamsburg-4150-5864A/#mainpic

Which way would you go?

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Both look to be in very good to excellent condition. We're it me, I'd go with the 2007 model and save the cash. Both are only going to depreciate so don't get caught up in resale value, etc.

Our Pup was 16 years old when we bought it and the TT was nine years old. Both were in very good to excellent condition and have served us well.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Hi! First thought, do you currently have a camper? What is your camping experience? If you are new to it, I would suggest the less expensive one. When we got our first camper about 3 years ago, we got a pretty inexpensive one that we thought would work. We had never camped much before and not at all as a family. After about two trips, we realized it was too small for us and we would really prefer something larger. Last fall we got a bigger NTU PUP and will be selling the old smaller one very soon (didn't want to try selling in the fall). I'm very glad we started with a cheap one because it made it very easy to upgrade.

Also from what I've seen, not much has changed over time in terms of quality or technology in PUPs. The two above look basically the same to me except that one is much prettier. So I think the only gain in getting the newer one is aesthetics. You just have to decide if that's worth it to you.

Best of luck!

Sjm9911 and nhlakes like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Here are my 2cents. As much as I love my Fleetwood the biggest problem I face is trying to find a repair shop willing to work on it. Mainly because they no longer make them and parts are not regularly available. Parts can be found in at Coleman popup parts.com but they are based MD so shipping costs would probably have to factor in. However I can't help but wonder if the Rockwood is quite high, then again I'm not familiar with your area. So it may be the going rate in your area.

5. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

It's fair to assume that prices here are higher than elsewhere since I'm in the Bay Area, there's a significant adder for living here :(

Noted on the ability to repair, the older does look in good condition so hopefully wouldn't need to work on it much anytime soon.

6. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Thanks. We are long term campers, we have 3 small boys though so are looking and these slightly larger PUP's with slideouts so that if we do have to hit from the weather we have some space.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Bay area here. You're gonna have to drive. :) At least look at the listings for Best RV in Turlock before you buy anything. It'll be nice this weekend. Take the kids to the Valley.

I haven't priced the slightly used Rockwoods. I did buy a 2008 Fleetwood last summer and the Williamsburg one is high. I guess you do pay more buying from a dealer and hopefully they earn it, but...you can do better.

I did look at the NEW Rockwoods and while they do have some new fancy stuff like Bluetooth and LED lights and plugs for solar, the build quality on a 10 year old Fleetwood was better than the new Rockwoods I saw. But the old ones require some work and some fiddling, no matter how minty they are. If you and your spouse are both very unhandy, go new. The appliances haven't changed, though. And the vinyl seats in the newer ones are so nice to keep clean.

8. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

FWIW We have the 2716 and love it. We’ve had it for going on three seasons and go out once a month and actually just got back from a 2800 mile trip with it with no major complaints. One thing to look at is they had an issue with the roof delaminating so look closely at that, but they also extended a warranty with it so it being a 15 if it does become an issue they may work with that. Setup is a breeze, never have any issues with door fit or anything and wife and I have it down to about 10-15 minutes when we are doing one night stops. Winterizing and maintenance also isn’t bad, but I did make some adjustments so I can put my antifreeze jugs right next to my pump switch so I can have everything done quickly. Basically, we love it and it tends to get a lot of attention because it is huge for a pup!

9. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

We also have 3 kids and I would say you are definitely right wanting the slide-out for extra floor space! That's a big reason we got a new pup - got stuck inside due to bad weather too many times and were crawling on top of each other.

10. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Yea it’s slim pickings around here for sure. The 2007 is in Gilroy and the other in Saratoga so both close by.

I am leaning towards the older one, although I do really like the idea of the external fridge.

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I had to go to Novato to get mine. (880 through Oakland without functional trailer brakes is interesting. :p) But before that, I did go to Seegrin's and the other places in the Gilroy area. One of them (Pacific maybe?) still had a few Jayco popups last summer.

I really do think it's worth going to the big guys in the valley to see what is on a new popup.

12. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

What are the dealers out there? I’ll check online to start, before I drive out there.

13. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I would for sure buy used, and personally I would focus my attention on private sellers if you want to get the best value. It is amazing for me to see that a 12 YO camper can go for $6K, but I guess that is the market. I bought my camper when it was 5 YO and it was $4K and it is a large camper (but no slide out). Up here in the midwest, prices would be half that.

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think going with the floorplan you prefer is more important than new or used or even extra amenities (usb outlets, etc).

You can always make do with no usb outlets or no outside fridge or make work arounds. But if the actual floorplan is bad for your family, you will never be happy.

Old or new tends to give you the choice of: fixing it yourself or waiting around while having it fixed under warranty. Everyone has a different preference, but either way it's an inconvenience. Old, you have to learn to do things yourself, but they get done on your schedule. New, the warranty gets the stuff fixed, but you have to wait on someone else's schedule.

CamperChrissy likes this.
  15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

16. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

What do you tow your 2716 with? I have found a 2014 2514G Premier for about $8k.

17. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Thanks for the links, i will check it out.

18. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

25D434D5-0543-405B-9983-0493F53C9D09.jpeg
    I have a Toyota Tundra so not an issue. With tanks and gear I’m pulling around 3k lbs.

19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If you can afford the new one, it is awesome. The memories will be priceless.

20. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Nice! I’m sure you barely know it’s there!