Goblin Valley State Park

Discussion in 'Utah' started by icsopris, Apr 30, 2013.

1. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

I just spent 3 nights, April 25, 26 and 27 of 2013, at Goblen Valley State Park which is south of Green River on Highway 24 north Hanksville, UT.

This is an amazing playground for the young and old alike. We have always enjoyed this campground and park and kids just love it. You can let them roam around the Goblin Valley and watch them run, climb and play amogst the Goblins.

Picture from the parking lot showing the pavillion and valley below.

[​IMG]

Picture down in the Valley at sunset.

[​IMG]

The park is run by the state of Utah. There is a manned booth/visitor center at the entrance to collect fees and check in for the campground. The official park website is here:

http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goblin-valley

Reservations are needed in spring at fall at http://www.reserveamerica.com as the campground is full on weekends.

There are 24 sites and 1 group site. Cost is $16.00 per night per site. Not all sites will fit trailers and are designated for tent only. The bathrooms are heated, have running cold and hot water and flush toilets. There are FREE showers on the rear of the bath house that were clean and had plenty of solar heated hot water. It is so nice to shower after a long day hiking in the hot desert!

Here are some pics of my popup and the campground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things to do...

From the campground you can drive to the trail head of the Little Wild Horse Slot Canyon to Bell Canyon hike which is an 8 mile loop and you'll enjoy two awesome slot canyons. Even if you just venture up Little Wild Horse you can enjoy some incredible scenery and unique hiking experience. Kids love this!

[​IMG]

I did get a chance to head East and drove 30 miles of dirt, 4WD road to the trail head of Horse Shoe Canyon, which is officailly in Canyonlands National Park. I took part in a ranger led hike which are offered on weekends in spring at fall at 9:00am. The road was decent but had spots of deep sand, large wash boards and would be impassible if wet. Horseshoe Canyon contains one of the finest displays of prehistoric Indian rock art in the United States. The famous Great Gallery, largest of several Horseshoe Canyon sites, is 200 feet long, 15 feet high, and contains dozens of fascinating red, brown, and white pictographs. The barrier canyon style paintings are at least 2,000 years old, and possibly as old as 8,000 years. The work was done by the Archaic People who lived in the area before the arrival of the Anasazi and Fremont Indian cultures.

[​IMG]

There are many other opportunities in the San Rafeal Swell to hike other slot canyons and 4WD roads are abundant.

This is a great campground and state park and recomended to all.

Happy Camping!

Bob

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This looks like an interesting place. I've been past it on the road several times but never managed to stop in. Your report and pictures make me want to be sure I do stop next time I'm down that way. Thanks.

3. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

A LONG way from PA, but your write up might empt me if the pup were already in hand and a few extra $,$$$ in the camping fund.

4. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I had originally planned a day trip there when I was in Moab last September but, having run into road closures and an unreachable campground, I decided not to make the trip. Probably will plan it for next year.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

We stayed here last week in site #14 which faced west and backed up to the small mountain. We were able to back into the site and then turn the popup sideways to give a bit more privacy. This is a great area for both kids and adults with a lot of hiking opportunities.

[​IMG]

Great photo opportunities here as well
    [​IMG]

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It looks like they have updated the campground since DH and I attempted to stay in it in a ground tent more than 10 years ago. At that point, the only differentiation between our site and the ones on either side was the number on the picnic table. We heading for a hotel in Green River, and since then, have used the SP in Green River as ur base for the area. We'll have to check it out next time we hike Little Wild Horse.