Going back to popup

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by northernohioguy, May 5, 2014.

1. northernohioguy

northernohioguy Member

After 2 years in our 2005 Starcraft Travel Star 21 SSO, we are going to go back to a popup. We had a Coleman Bayside for over 10 years, and loved it. We thought we would like the hybrids better, but think we are popup lovers. We going to Hawaii for 10 days, and will then be listing the camper when we return. Looking at literature on the Rockwood HW 296, and pretty certain that's what we will buy after we sell current one.
    Have no complaints on Starcraft specifically as it's comfortable and very well appointed, but just miss our popup!!!!! To each their own I guess!

2. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Welcome back!
    "Upgrades" are not always upgrades.

3. farley.hobson

farley.hobson New Member

That's exactly what we did! We also just bought a 2014 rockwood HW296, love it so much! We are popup people for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Nice pup...welcome back

5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I can understand it, after 27 years of a simple tent on a trailer, we went to a Hybrid last year. Having the modern conveniences are nice, But I miss our simple P'up. Going back is doubtful...DW loves the Hybrid, but will still tent camp on occasion.

6. northernohioguy

northernohioguy Member

We were tent campers for 20 years before we went to pup. Got pup when we retired and were planning on a coast to coast 2 month trip, and thought tent would become uncomfortable for that long. Kinda sorry we have to go through hassle of selling hybrid, but think can probably do better than trading it in. Live and learn I guess.

7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I like the popups over the htt.,s as well. Mostly because of the ease of towing especially with a wall behind you. I cant afford to buy a bigger tv that doubles as a daily driver. Maybe someday move to the grayside but for now im happy. I also like the trailmanors. But kind of pricey

8. j_shoe99

j_shoe99 Member

I recently sold my pup, and picked up my 17' HTT today. My buddy showed me how to de-winterize it, and how everything works. It was a tad overwhelming. Plenty of inner workings in the HTT with a full bathroom, kitchen sink etc, compared to my old pup....(aka: plenty of things to go wrong and stop working)

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

. Agree on the trailmanors. Nice but pricey

10. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

We switched from a Rockwood 2280 to a Jayco X23B last year. We've been really happy with the X23B. My back is happy as I do not have to deal with six poles to set up the beds and I do not have to deal with the roof lift system. Popping out the beds is a breeze.

11. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Your reason for going back to popup is unclear. What are you missing that you don't have in Travel Star?

12. northernohioguy

northernohioguy Member

We missed the openness you get with pop ups. We put all 4 sides down and love it.
    We picked up our 2014 Rockwood HW 296 last week, and ended up trading in Starcraft so we didn't have hassle of selling it ourselves. We used 3/4 tank of gas towing Starcraft to dealer, and less than 1/2 towing Rockwood home. Pushing a lot less air now!!!!! Just home from 3 day " shakedown " camping trip. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our new popup!

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Mileage is a major issue and PUPs have a huge advantage over HTTs and TTs on this point. With a fold-down camper you are not trying to tow a barn door into the wind.

14. swordfish

How much mileage difference was due to weight difference or due to the difference in wind resistance?
    Anyone has compared in a controlled manner?

15. swordfish

Let me ask in a different way, from towing a HTT to towing a popup of similar weight, do you lose 5 mpg?

16. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

There are way to many factors that figure in....we went from a 3.9 Dakota pulling a Pup, to a 5.7 Silverado pulling a HTT. and get better MPG...barely...

17. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I have travelled the same route to the same campground using the same TV. With the pop up I was getting about 18-19 mpg, with the HTT I am now getting 12-13 mpg and both weighed in at about the same weight.

18. swordfish

That is good data to consider. Thank you.

19. Rabbitrockhound

Rabbitrockhound New Member

^^Yes, thanks, Starcraft 2000; that is very good to know.

20. seigell

seigell New Member

Ah, but with your Starcraft TravelStar's nearly 3000lb weight, that previous PUP must have been one of the biggest and heaviest High Walls (to be of equivalent weight). Else there might also be a weight differential to factor into your significant MPG gap.