Going Dark

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by rjhammetter, Jul 15, 2019.

1. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Thank you / another one goes dark:
    I joined this site immediately after buying our first camper - a Jayco 1207UD popup - in 2016. I learned so much from you guys: how it works, how to winterize, tips and tricks, hacks, mods and horror stories. I enjoyed my time here and am grateful for everything I gained/discussed. I stopped hanging out on the site a while back because of the forum format change and not having anything of value to provide, but we never stopped camping. We had three truly great summers and made outstanding memories thanks solely to our PUP.

My wife and I scheduled the fewest camping trips for our family this year primarily because the PUP. The set up and unpacking process really wore us down. We figure it's roughly two hours between backing into a site and actually camping. The reverse process to pack and close up is another hour, so just taking our PUP out to a campsite cuts into our camping trip by half a day. That was really the reason we started looking at TTs. As we thought about it more and more, our PUP also had drawbacks we couldn't fix. We never installed A/C, so it was impossible to nap or be inside it during the day. There really wasn't any floor or table space, so it was a tango for a family (of four, with two kids now ages 8 and 6) to make/drink coffee, eat breakfast, get ready for the day and change into/out of swimwear. Its small size made it absolutely brutal to hang out inside on a rainy day with so little space between us. While it's great to sleep in the beds on cool, quiet nights... most nights aren't that way. It's actually really hard to sleep in the PUP. The whole thing rocks and rolls when anyone rolls over in bed or gets up to pee. Warm/stuffy nights are tough on our allergies and our sleep. There is just no relief from sweating while laying in bed. Raindrops on the roof and Duratek are super noisy (constant tink tink tink). We seemed to get unlucky by having obnoxious neighbors who stay up getting drunk and laughing around a campfire until midnight every night. The tent doesn't insulate you from any of that noise.

I used to think we'd be the last family in the world to ever trade our PUP for a TT. But when you experience the PUP and become intimately familiar with the pros/cons, a TT is actually a huge difference. The PUP was a great camper and I'll miss a lot of things: bed size, towability, storability, being connected to nature and the memories we made. It's hard to get too sad though knowing what the benefits of our TT will bring us. Our own beds. A/C. A bathroom. A kitchen. It's really not that much more space, but enough to put a TV on the counter and hunker down during a rainy day. At the dealership last weekend, one line I used from this site helped convince my wife to upgrade: "if we go to the dark side, we can have ice cream." Sold! 2020 Jayco 184BS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Funny - we never thought of this until our second trip in the new TT. We were at the store and DW says "can we put ice cream in the freezer?" I can't believe we didnt think of that before. Now we have a new camping tradition!!!

We went dark in April of this year. The only thing I miss about the pop up is the towability. The TT sure makes the truck work harder. Totally worth it though. No more midnight trips to the bath house, couldn't hear the noisy neighbors this past weekend, air conditioning, ease of set up....

3. cyndib

cyndib Member

Welcome to the Dark Side.....you can also bake cookies! LOL We made the switch last October and have loved every minute of it. We also bought a permanent lake lot, so now no more towing. We're only an hour from home. Set up is just plugging in the electric. Happy Camping!

rescamilla and rjhammetter like this.
  4. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I see that in our future too. It would be nice to be able to pull over and make lunch in the trailer.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Congratulations! You're going to love the ease of setup!

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. This would have been really helpful on my last trip. I left camp without making a sandwich for the road figuring I could always find a place to stop for a bite. However due to sitting in traffic forever I couldn't get to any place big enough for a camper by lunch. Figured I had bread and peanut butter in the car so would just make a sandwich at a rest stop but failed to remember I had no utensil. Here I had the food needed, but no way to make it. Couldn't get into the camper closed much less the drawer l keep the knife in. So close yet so far.

rescamilla likes this.
  7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

That's why God gave us fingers - to spread peanut butter without a knife.

rescamilla likes this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on going dark, You and the family will love everything about the TT especially in inclement weather. Everything is easier and faster. Good Luck and happy Camping

9. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Yup even though we still miss the pup everything is sooooooo much easier to setup takedown. Has been changed to back in plugin stabs down relax. No having to tuck in canvas by walking around pup thirty times. No wet canvas or nightmares of a rainy travel day. We bought our new tt and the one thing that i wanted was power stabs and power front jack. We luckef out and even goy electric awning. And they all work off a remote control which is super sweet. Things are brighter on the dark side lol