Going Gray & trading in the Utah

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by mjsny, Jul 19, 2015.

1. mjsny

mjsny Member

Trading in the 2010 Coleman Utah later this week for a leftover 2015 Jayco 23F. Doesn't seem like there is a lot of traction for that model here. Lots of Roo 233S folks. The Roo does a few things better with the interior but Jayco is sweet as well and I wanted to stay with a local dealer (30 minutes from my house).

Love the Coleman (solidly built) but I got tired of packing and unpacking. We have 3 kids and two dogs but the room wasn't bad in the Utah. It is more about the packing and unpacking and fitting everything just right. Plus the kids & puppy are just getting bigger.

I'll miss a few things in the Utah. Easier towing, the awesome front storage compartment, and the King beds, but we get three queen beds, more floor space & easier setup and breakdown.

I unpacked the Utah today and geez, there was a lot of camping stuff in the drawers, cabinets and compartments. I am curious if there will be as much room in the Jayco.

TV should be fine for now but we are moving to a Ford Expedition next spring anyway.

2. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Congratulations on the new hybrid, I'm sure you will enjoy it. We were going to go with a Jayco or Keystone but they took away the model that was similar to the Roo 23SS, and we did not want to climb across the dinette to get to a bunk and the back bunk is too claustrophobic with the solid wall going half way across for us. It will be easier to pack, although I think the other manufacturers models have less storage space in the 3 bunk design. Time will tell.

3. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I'll eventually go to a hybrid just to have the easier in and out. That's my only gripe about a popup. Finally got the wigeon one and now she is sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I've been going grey for years! [:D]

We did the same (still have the Rockwood though).
    Same thought process, the PUP is a breeze to tow in comparison AND it is easier to get into some remote areas. Our TravelStar 229TB does restrict us from some campsites we use to go to.

The Tahoe 5.3L does strain at 65-70mph and 7,000' (normally like to keep speed around 62mph, but AZ Interstates have 75 mph speed for semi's and trailers).

We use the floor for additional storage while traveling, then transfer to bunks or TV when setting up, so the CCW and space has increased.

Gas mileage went from about 15-17 mpg to 10-12 mpg.

After many discussions around the campfire and with my mechanic on increasing hp the list was:
    1. Air intake system (K&N or AFE) Have that.
    2. Exhaust system (mechanic who builds cars to race- says he has not seen a large improvement by changing exhaust for towing - said it will help but wouldn t put it as #2.
    3. Higher differential ratio (thought I had 3.21 ratio but w the Tow Pkg comes w 3.71)
    4. Chip programmer (looked at several brands and went w Superchip and reprogrammed for Towing. Says will deliver +15hp, resets shift points to match torque and mechanic says he has set them up for many customers and their mpg has improved).

Two more advantages w HTT is we don't have to unhitch from TV for an overnight stay!!
    This is an amazing time saver! [HY] [TV]
    Can keep it packed w essentials AND have access to it in storage!

Cons:
    Cost go up.
    Needed to replace BAL leveler
    Cannot store in garage

Pro & Con:
    4 tires vs. 2 tires

5. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Below you will see the popup to hybrid changeover. Like you said, there was a LOT of stuff...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ChocoChock01

You really ought to weigh the whole lot to get an idea how much additional weight we load into the trailers!

My guess??
    370#

7. MissLou

MissLou Member

Wow! Your popup had as much stuff in it as ours did when we moved to the hybrid. I couldn't fit nearly all of it into our Shamrock, but it was a small hybrid without a lot of storage space.

8. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I recently moved to a hybrid as well. A 2016 StarCraft Launch 16rb. A little one. I LOVE it. So much easier. Not a ton of storage but my crap fit fine. Love the larger fridge, furnace...don't even mention the little bathroom!!! Love it. My only drawbacks are the thing does not have 1 single drawer, and I wish it had an oven. Oh well.
    Happy camping! [:D]

9. mjsny

mjsny Member

Picked it up last night and storage won't be issue. The outside storage is also deceivingly big and extends the length of the couch. It's perfect for us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Congrats! That's SO nice!

11. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Beautiful trailer ! Congratulations.... you will love it.

12. Heady

Heady Active Member

Congrats!

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Congrats

14. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Congratulations !

15. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Congrats & good luck

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

sure you don't need to unhitch? the bunkend is over the tongue as well unless its short like full size?

17. ChocoChock01

We still bring our Camp Chef oven so we can cook outside. [CK]

18. ChocoChock01

Hal, what is nice about the "drop-down" bunk is it only comes down to the end of the hitch, allowing you to stay hitched!

We have done this on several 1 nite stays.
    NICE.

19. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

nope, not with our Roo 23SS and Chevy Avalanche.
    we can stay hooked and still drop the front bunk down. especially with the WDH adding some length.

20. mjsny

mjsny Member

Thanks. Observations of the hybrid after 1 month and two trips.

* Packing and unpacking is a breeze and is stress free compared to the PUP.

* We are enjoying having a shower and full bathroom with a door.

* Glad I got the two batteries on the tongue. Power everything (awning, tongue jack, slide) and we like dry camping the state parks. I also picked up a used Yamaha EF2000is generator on Craig' List which fits nicely in the side storage compartment.

* I have think more about the the size and back up room for the sites that I book. I had a to bypass our favorite lake site for a Memorial Day 2016 reservation because it would be too difficult to back in with the hybrid. This was no problem with the PUP.

* It could use another 12 Volt ceiling fan in the main area of the camper for dry camping. I picked up a portable Fan-Tastik Fan which works well.

* I was worried about not having a backing in the shower but I think it will be fine. It just needs to be wiped down after use.

* Three beds is perfect for our family of five. The couch and dinette now stay open for lounging when the kids are a asleep.

* The slide provides plenty of floor space and we are able to keep the unit much more organized during camping compared the PUP.

* 50 gallon fresh water tank is a good size.

* PUP fit in the garage for the winter. I will be a little bummed seeing the hybrid covered in snow all winter.

* I wouldn't want to tow anything bigger. It is about 25 feet which is manageable and doesn't take up too much of our driveway.

* The Utah was nice, but the hybrid is even better.

* I still hang out in the PopupPortal