Going Out West Little help?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Lagman, Mar 14, 2019.

1. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

oh - Ruby's has a nice big laundry mat (just so you know if it is time for laundry by the time you get there) LOL -

kitphantom likes this.
  2. Overland

Overland Active Member

Howdy neighbor.. i'm just a few miles from Langhorne,Pa.

Aggressive trip you have planned.. covering a lot of ground. I'v been to several places you mention but i'm new to campers, I typically tented the last few decades. You sure you want to spend so much time driving vs sitting in a few areas longer? Women and children in your group?

Most of my trips to SD involved Badlands NP.. if your able to camp dispersed and have 4wd and smaller trailer i'd recommend Buffalo Gap National Grasslands over any Badlands NP campsite. We did Custer as a day trip a few times, being there for the Bison RoundUp is epic.

Colorado is beautiful, tough to not enjoy where you end up. But coming from GCNP and Monument Valley i'd suggest running through the San Juan's to 550/50 into Gunnison area. Also, Valley of the God's just east of MV is worth considering.. stop and have dinner/lunch at the Swinging Steak in Mexican Hat.

Give us a little more info on your gear and group..

3. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Hope this post doesn't get too long. I've been to all these places, in fact just last year did the bryce, GC, Mesa, GSD trip (black hills after that). Take all that I am going to suggest with a grain of salt, because it all depends on what you like to do and so on. If time overall is not that big of an issue, here are my recommendations.

Spend another day in Custer, there is a ton to see there along with Rushmore, Wind and Jewel Caves, Custer itself and then anytime you spend up closer to Rapid City. We climb Harney virtually every year and for sure every time we are out there. From Custer to YS, you have lots of options. You can head up past Devils tower (can actually do that in a day trip from Custer if you want). Nothing wrong with going in to YS via Cody, but you can switch things up a bit and go via Thermopolis, wind river area and up through Tetons. But, it sounds like you might be all set for that part of the trip (other than maybe try to add a day in Custer).

YS to Bryce, can do in a day, just head down 15 and cut over at I70 or 20. Bryce 2 days will work, we did that and it was full as we got in later in the afternoon like you will (came from Denver). Bryce to GC, no issues and no issues with gas at all, fill up in Kanab, you have to go right through it. After GC, Monument Valley is fine, one day would be plenty. Personally I would skip four corners unless you are into the tourist trap kind of thing. Take a very short detour and visit Goose Neck SP in Utah. Pretty awesome sight. You can actually camp there if you want, but there is absolutely nothing at the campground. From there, hit Mesa Verde if the cliff dwellings are your thing, you can also swing by Canyon of the Ancients NM.

Then you head along 160 which is a great drive in CO. Would strongly encourage you to hit Great Sand Dunes NP, it is awesomely unique. From there you can hit Royal Gorge, or Pikes Peak and all the stuff in Co Springs. At that point, you can cut over to I70 and start heading back if you want, stop in St. Louis and hit the arch, indian mounds...

Anyway, I think you get the point, plenty to do and see. I would highly recommend sitting down with a spreadsheet and google maps and plan out your miles, hours, days at location and what you want to see, include relaxation time (down time) too. You make your reservation just like you are doing, except that if you are in a non destination area and it is not a weekend, then it is pretty easy to wing it, you won't have much issue finding sites.

Hope this has given you some ideas, would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

4. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Commenting to subscribe. We're going to do something similar this spring/summer, except we'll be without the pup. Our plan is very ambitious, and all of everyone's comments are helpful.

5. Lagman

Lagman Member

We appreciate all the help, full of great tips. We plan do plan 2 nights in Custer and Cody (Ponderosa?) for 1 after that. I am concerned with the drive from YS to Bryce seems long. After 2 nights in MV we’re debating Colorado Springs or south to New Mexico. More to see there or Colorado? I25 to I70 is a plan to St Louis. Looking for a stop or 2 on that leg. Again, all the responses are great. It’s easing the stress for such a long trip. We’re just blessed for the help to be able to make this journey.

6. Lagman

Lagman Member

I see I forgot to mention and include our specifics. It’s just my wife and I and our mini greyhound. We pulling a 02 Voyager Pop up. I have a 1500w inverter with 2 6V Trojans T105s. Also, bringing a Honda 2800i Genny. Heat will be the Mr Heater Big Buddy.

7. Lagman

Lagman Member

Morning Campers,
    Taking a little break from that part of planning. I know there are list here, but for the length of our trip besides the normal tools, anyone gone this route have some must haves in case of break downs or campsite needs? What did you wish you would’ve brought? YS mandates no food in PU. I have a cap on the truck so should be good there. Any ideas for supplies would be great! Medical? Safety? Anything to keep the animals and pests away?

8. GalsofEscape

we had coach-net road side service plan, but we never needed it. though you may find that alot of the areas that you may travel through (particularly in Utah) you may not have cell phone service, so be sure you can change a flat tire and have the safety triangles/signal flares.
    our two trips, we had new tires on the camper and the tow vehicle got a good mechanical check up before we left.

9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Make sure you have a good spare for the pup, and a jack that will work to i stall said spare. Test the jack on the pup before you go.

10. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Dang it, I was all prepared to say that my Expedition will be fully loaded without access to the jack, thus having AAA or Ford's roadside service in my back pocket for roadside tire changes. But, yeah, lack of cell service would put a laborious damper on that plan...

In my part of the country, triangles/flares are highly unusual. Are they a requirement in states out west? I happen to have a roadside emergency kit I kept from a Mexican Mondeo (standard equipment there), but I'd planned on leaving it at home in my old Expedition that I might more reasonably expect to break down!

11. GalsofEscape

LOL - so guess you will be emptying the back of the vehicle to get to the jack - have seen that more than once.
    not sure if triangles/flares are "required" - i usually see them with broken down commercial trucks but why would you not want to use them if broken down on the side of the road. They are a warning signal and with the amount of distracted driving around, anything to help keep people from running up your backside.... I do most of my driving here in the east coast and I keep a set of triangles in one of the storage bins in the camper.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also suggest a tool box to fix those "gosh Darn It" moments. When finding a store may be very difficult or way out of your way. I was at a campground once when I broke something and didn't realize the nearest store was 1.5 hours away. That was a small mom and pop place too where the selection is minimal.

13. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Not required for non-commercial vehicles, but a Good Thing^TM to have.

14. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Oh, and don't keep them in your popup! My trip to the UP of Michigan in October was a trip from hell, but it almost became a motel trip when the lift cable snapped after getting to the campground three days late. My tools, of course, were stored in the storage compartment in the front interior of my pup! The park staff were awesome, though, and gave me a rope clip and loaned me a wrench, saving me the 1+ hour trip into Newberry.

jmkay1 likes this.
  15. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have a lighted hazzard triangle i set up well up the road from any time I am working on anything pulled over on the side of the road. If you plan to use your tow vehicle jack, make sure you test it on the pup before you need it, and make sure you have a lug nut wrench that fits the pup.

16. John Bedsole

John Bedsole New Member

I’m headed from Atlanta the Yellowstone in two months. Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone then back to Atl. Any tips will be appreciated

17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

So early July?

18. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

The route from Bryce to Four Corners can be very remote keep an eye on gas. If possible I would recommend traveling through monument valley, quite the amazing drive. The drive through southern Colorado northern NM can also be remove.

If you already plan on 4C, Mesa Verda is not too far so you should stop there.