Going RV - towing TT with minivan

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by raising4daughters, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

20180930_120944.jpg
    How about a Ranger towing a fifth wheel.....

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I saw this line in my email. I thought you HAD to be joking

Ductape likes this.
  3. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I wish I were. [:D]

4. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

That says Kamikaze on the back? Just think it already has over load springs and air shocks.
    Can you imagine going down a big hill trying to keep that under control at 55 MPH in the right lane and a Bull Wagon in the cow truck lane blows by you at 80 plus trying to make the next hill? Prolly never pull his but loose from the seat cover. Better wake up Leroy he ain't never seen a wreck like we are fixn to see):) And Junior when I get back home I am going to hit your momma in the mouth:)o)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  5. afidmt

afidmt Member

I know I'm not a pop up person anymore but with weight management I really had to watch when I upgraded

This is my set up -- 2016 Explorer with factoryTow package (5K ), KZ Escape 201BH - 4,400 GVWR, Anderson WD/ Sway control Hitch

and I used this to make sure I'm in good weight range

Attached Files:

6. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

IDK... maybe it's because my formative years were spent camping and backpacking, where pack weight is always front and center but, when we decided to go for a PUP I wanted to make sure we weren't biting off more than we could chew.

When we decided to go the PUP route, we knew that this "towing" thing was new territory and that I had better gain some knowledge real fast!...

the one thing that really blew my mind, and, what maybe folks don't think about, to start right off the bat, is the weight of your passangers in your TV. JUST our family, ALONE, wieghs in at 820 pounds!... add a friend of one of the kids and we're at a GRAND real easy.

Sure, my "minion-van" can tow 3,600 ponds but, now add the weight of your propane, the PUP battery, WDH, awning, tool box, groceries, kitchen stuff, solar panels, bikes, canoe/kayak, on-board water, etc., etc., etc...[you get the picture] getting to that straw that breaks the camel's back can gettcha before you know it.

Speadsheets are a tool of my profession so, it was easy for me to build one of all the items and weights of what we haul for a camping trip.

There's a saying... "Knowledge is Power"

Also, "Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread" [LOL]

Happy Trails!

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

There are bad ones in anything. I've owned a Voyager, Grand Caravan, and now Town and Country all very reliable and capable of towing way more than they are able to safely stop.

That may be a bit much, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull a Scamp 5th wheel with one. There is also the Escape 5.0, but that might be pushing it a bit.

8. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I watched that episode the other day. What those sales guys pushed on that couple is criminal.

Towing weight capacity is one thing, the drag caused by the massive frontal area of that camper will quickly kill the transmission in that minivan.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I am not a trusting person. Unless I know you, I'm not going to trust that you know what you claim to know. So I always do my homework first. I would never take a salesman's word that I can tow it. I will collect all the data, do the math myself, and then verify my findings with someone I know and trust. THEN I will move forward with a purchase.

10. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

Just to clarify this, read the post. It says high school girls not not grown mature women, huge difference boys the same thing, the only thing they are not doing is putting on make-up but probably drinking beer And yes there are well trained and responsible teen barrel racers that drive well but not many from what I have seen in this area.

xxxapache likes this.