Going to Tetons, Yellowstone in June any advice

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Norman Rance, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Norman Rance

Norman Rance Member

We are leaving Albuquerque NM and going to arches 4 days, Tetons 5 days, then staying at Madison in Yellowstone for 2 weeks(already reserved) any cool tips on those places also have the america the beautiful pass. stuff like the gates and such.

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

take a dip in the boiling river, not marked on maps, just N or the 45th parallel, across the street from a picnic area 5 miles in the park from from the north entrance.
    http://www.yellowstonepark.com/swim-yellowstones-boiling-river/

take every one way scenic rd @ yellowstone, pack lunch and stop for lunch.

Visit the window @ tetons, wall of glass at big lodge, have local brew.

Snake river rafting out of Jackson.

Norman Rance likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Do you have your reservations for the Moab area too? The campground in Arches is closed until sometime next fall, as they do major road work in the park. That will also effect visiting the park. Last year, you could look at the webcam from the entrance station to see how much of a backup there was.
    The Moab area is on of our favorites, for our Wind River/Yellowstone trip we plan to stay overnight at Green River SP on the way north. (That means no breakfast at Jailhouse Cafe in Moab :sad:.) Depending on what your interests, there are cool things such as the Dinosaur Diamond. The Moab Information Center is a great source.
    Not sure what you mean by "hints for the gates"?

Norman Rance likes this.
  4. Norman Rance

Norman Rance Member

no reservations for moab going to try at stay at goose island or in that area. just asking for tips on the gates at Yellowstone?

5. mrobuck

mrobuck New Member

We stayed at Madison last July and a great time.

Not sure what you're asking by "gates"? Do mean tips on the Entrances? If so, not much really, they're just like entering any of the NPs. I'm not certain on when the "peak" times or longest waits are, but we normally go to Yellowstone every other year or so, and I've never had to wait much more than 3 cars to get in. Rangers are awesome and will happily answer any questions.

The Boiling River is really neat(as rabird noted) and a great spot, but where you're staying at Madison the river is also warm due to springs, and the kids had a blast wading in there... though its not as 'nice a swimming hole' as Boiling River.

My kids and DW also really enjoyed the Grizzly Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. (http://www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.org/) I know, not in the park, but it's worth a day trip, especially with how long you'll be in Yellowstone.

Norman Rance likes this.
  6. Norman Rance

Norman Rance Member

cool advice I thought it was a long line to get in does the america the beautiful pass work there?

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Almost any park can have lines at some times, there are a few lightly visited ones that don't. We haven't been to Yellowstone in 10 years (we're going in August). For planning info on Yellowstone (there's a section like this for each NP): https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/index.htm

From the FAQs about passes:
    1. Where can I use my Annual Pass?
      Please contact a site directly if you have a question about pass acceptance and fees.

The Forest Service, the National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Army Corp of Engineers honor the Annual Pass at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee(s) (Day use fees) are charged.

Norman Rance likes this.
  8. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We downloaded the gypsie guide app and used it on a tablet in the truck as we were driving around Yellowstone. It uses GPS data to play helpful commentary as you drive around the park. It does not require cell data which is a good thing as that is hard to come by in Yellowstone.

Norman Rance likes this.
  9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I see there are GyPSy guides for a few of your other stops as well.

Norman Rance likes this.
  10. Norman Rance

Norman Rance Member

did not know about gypsy thanks

11. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

We went early June three years ago....We went through all of them and there was no wait at all. We took a picture at each entrance sign and then framed them all together.

Food Tips:
    NE gate, stop at the Beartooth Cafe for lunch/dinner and get a Bison burger.
    N gate, stop at the KBar....excellent Pizza and lots of beer on tap.

Other Tips:
    Don't spend a ton of time at the first Elk or Bison you see.....You'll see plenty of them. Bears are another story....if you see one it might be the only one you see in two weeks. We saw wolves in Hayden Valley (just south of Canyon Village). Lots of friendly people sharing their spotting scopes to get a close up of the wolves and their kill.

My 2 cents...

Norman Rance likes this.
  12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

If you're staying at Yellowstone for two weeks, set aside one day for the Beartooth Highway. Leave Yellowstone through the Northeast Entrance, follow US 212 to Red Lodge, MT. The Beartooth is the most spectacular drive I've ever done. If there are words to decribe it, I don't know what they are. It's simply incredible.

On our way up, we stopped to take some photos. I got to talking with a guy who was coming from the other direction. He told me you're going to see something and think it's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. Then you're going to go a quarter of a mile up the road and see something better. It'll be that way the whole trip. And he was right.
    http://beartoothhighway.com/

From Red Lodge, go south to Cody, WY then west past f5Moab's favorite campground (Wapiti) and back to Yellowstone through the East Entrance.

It's an all-day trip and fair amount of driving but worth every minute. If you have time, spend a couple hours at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West or a Buffalo Burger at the Irma Hotel in Cody.
    You'll be glad you did.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Norman Rance likes this.
  13. mrobuck

mrobuck New Member

America the Beautiful Pass does work, but to my knowledge there are no "fast pass" lanes for pass holders only. I'm sure there can be lines at times, but we've never experienced anything too bad (10-15min wait time or more). Normally it's been 1-2 car wait to get in.

14. Norman Rance

Norman Rance Member

awsome thanks cant wait to get on the road 60 more days..