Good-bye to the pup era...the darkness is so inviting

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by MIlover, Jan 20, 2017.

1. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Speaking of storms, we have weathered out some really good thunder storms that I would not have done in our pup. One really bad thunderstorm that we were in was so close that it shook the TT with each clap of thunder and the pounding wind and rain that came did not leak inside. It drove all the tent and pup campers out. The next day the only campers left were in RVs, TTs and truck campers. I felt bad for those that had to leave. They were leaving til 4 am accord to the park staff.

2. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

MIlover: I think your narrative describes this dilemma and subsequent guilt perfectly. I feel your pain living across the lake from you. Our season is realistically Jun-Sept. Maybe May or Oct if we're feeling adventurous. The up/down, 2 hours on each end, to unload and set up or break down and load up.

It's all part of the camping trip/experience to us. PUPs are cheaper to own, cheaper to tow, can be towed by smaller vehicles, fit in the garage and give a more connected sense to camping and nature. I totally get the draw of the dark side. It has tempted me before, especially when it rains during setup and break down, but I inevitably remember that those nice TTs people own are $20,000-$30,000 worth of RV parked in the lawn or barn or driveway for 340 days of the year, give or take. Or spend more to drive a big truck capable of towing the bigger RV. Or spend more to camp more because of the nicer RV. It's a matter personal preference and financial priority. Enjoy the new RV!

3. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Dark side I have been down the this Road to started with tent camping went to a truck slide in to pop up back to a tent than back to a pop up than tt and to my current camper a 5th wheel camper that can be towed by my 1/2 ton pickup.

4. MIlover

MIlover Member

Absolutely. The decision that is best for us is not best for everyone else. It's just one that we came to somewhat grudgingly, and I felt others could appreciate the experience.

We're moving up in size of camper, but only moving over in terms of camping style. IMO, there is something to be said for all types of camping. I still miss a tent, and we'll also miss the pup. A TT just fits into our life better at this point. And oddly - TT's are going for the same price (sometimes less) than hybrids! It just works for us.

And then there's the warm cookies calling...and DH's built-in outdoor mini-fridge filled with beer... Is it spring yet? [SUN]

5. Beth

Beth Member

I love so many things about our pup.....the views, the air conditioning, and microwave and the bathroom and the sleeping in the rain....
    just not that it became so much "work" to camp.... with all the packing, setting up, packing, closing up, pulling home, setting back up....
    wondering how the rain will sound on our new tt??
    counting the days until it arrives at the dealer, and then let the camping begin....

Beth

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

The rain in my TT is like sleeping under a tin roof.

Beth likes this.
  7. Beth

Beth Member

that is what I'm hoping to hear if/when we camp in the rain.....
    :)

Beth

8. MIlover

MIlover Member

The countdown is on for us now too. We complete the PDI on our new TT next Monday!

9. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Congrats on the new TT! You are going to love it! Our transition in some ways happened the same as all the rest. I was that snot nosed tenter who judged all the big rigs by saying "that's not camping" and my daughters5er remind me of it on a regular basis. I grew up in pups and still love them to this day for many reasons, but after 2 back surgeries and having my 70 year old mother with a horrible back camping with me for a while along with the 2 teenage girls and multiple dogs at times, the pups no longer worked. We went to the Roo 233S for 4 years and that was an awesome rig, but alas one trip of traveling from Ohio to SD and multiple stops for the night and tearing down and setting up and, well, you know the song and dance, and then finally as all HTT's eventually do, the dreaded bunk end leak and I'd had enough. Along came the 5er. Our goal for the future is traveling, at least one big trip per year, or at least every 2 years with a pretty big trip in between years.

I have to say, there is just nothing like backing in, pushing a button to drop the landing gear, chocking the wheels, pulling the pin and dropping the gate and pulling forward, and pushing the auto level button and going inside to get out of the rain. Heck, in reality, you don't even need to do all that till it stops raining if you are already somewhat level. ;) As for the sound of rain on canvas, I don't mind the sound of rain on the roof at all, but a slide topper helps get that fabric sound back. :)

Everyone has their word for it, we still call it camping because it still gets us out, and we are very happy and comfortable campers! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] Congrats on your move to your next form of camping, I hope you love it as much as we do.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=108874.0

10. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Well said, Rocky Roo. Camping is all about getting outside, no matter the vehicle. I love reading about everyone's camping journey.

11. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks RockyRoo! I appreciate the kind words. It sounds like you have logged enough camping to have earned that auto-leveling 5'er! We are really looking forward to the reduced set up/tear down time. Oh - we are getting a slide topper too. So much leaves/acorns/pine needles/sap here in Michigan.

Beth, I think the rain will still sound great. Best of luck with your new trailer!

12. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

Just reading the after thoughts of everyone's decision to move over has me thinking what our next move should be.

13. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

We just moved, picked ours up 2 weeks ago and took our first trip last weekend - it was wonderful. Yep, Dark is good - hope you enjoy.