Good cooler?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by firepit, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

I like the reflectix idea, I bought some Rubbermaid watertight containers, they don't leak or get water inside of them. They're exclusively for camping. They don't keep food cold but they really keep it fresh longer. They are clear, and have black handles, that snap down.

2. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I already have a new cooler ordered...i always kept the igloo in the shade...pre chilling never helped much either...maybe i got a bad one.
    All i am looking for is a cooler i can take camping on a thurs and keep ice without adding a bag every day till i pack up on sunday.
    My nephews yeti 105 qt holds ice for a week +.
    I dont have his money so i went with this one which is 78Qt.
    It was $220.
    I will do the block ice but i dont want to pack two coolers.
    Im about packing the bare minimum.
    I looked at the lifetime cooler 77Qt and read that some have reported warping issues on the lids.
    I dont read too much into reviews and only chose the one i did because i like wheels on my cooler and it came with a basket.
    Time will tell i guess

Attached Files:

3. Jeepsy_moon

Jeepsy_moon New Member

We bought a Lifetime cooler at Walmart after our SIL got one. We went camping on a 3 day weekend, it was over 90 degrees and our old cooler had ice melting the first day and by day 3 it had no ice at all. The lifetime cooler had ice the entire trip. I think it was around $250? Cheaper than a yeti and we really only camp around 3 days at a time right now so I'm hesitant to spent the money on a yeti :)

firepit likes this.
  4. fronsm

fronsm Member Silver Supporting Member

Unpicked up a great used one at the local Goodwill for $15.

5. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

That's something I hadn't thought about, dedicated coolers, good idea. Maybe I should label them too. I do dehydrated & frozen. That helps too.

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I know some of the first runs of the lifetime 77qt and 55qt like mine had warping issues. They redesigned the lid sometime just prior to the virus and so far no problems. The warped lid issue was obvious immediately upon MFG, and had something to do with how the gasket held in place and sealed. I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between ice retention with the lid clasped shut and the gasket doing its job, and not. Like just leaving the top clasps loose will cut my ice retention time by about 1/3. NOT good. It is because the lid wants to spring open due to the springiness of the gasket and pushes away from it... A fishing buddy has a Yeti that does the same thing though...

On the one or more coolers thing. It's up to what works best for you. I gave the 77qt serious consideration but I don't / cant lift it fully loaded solo without causing myself serious problems, and as I mentioned, reducing the number of times you go in and fish around in the cooler helps maximize your ice life.

Good luck with the new cooler, and let us know how it works out. These newer rotomolded and high performance coolers seem to really solve a long standing problem, that seems to me was solved before but somehow cooler MFGs sort of slacked off... I have seen the newer Igloos and none of them would compare to my old one. A pity I'd really like a nice 60 qt roller cooler that would actually hold ice for 5 days. I may have to get one of those cooler wheel kits for my Lifetime.

I will say this. My fridge died a couple of years back, and the new one was back ordered from the MFG, my wife wanted a specific one. We lived out of that big Coleman cooler in the house for a month while we waited for the new fridge to arrive. It kept food good and cold, and ice for 5 to 6 days, but it was out of the sun, and in a house that never got over 76 degrees F inside.

firepit likes this.
  7. firepit

I like them with wheels as I am still able to lift a lot and can get them down from my truck to the ground easily.
    Now in a few years I may not be able to.
    The new cooler is due to be here tomorrow and if its junk I will say so.
    I will do a honest write up on what I think.
    Thursday to Sunday mornings are the most of my trips so if I can get 3 1/2 to 4 days
    without making a ice run I will be happy.
    I am saving gatoraide bottles for pre chilling as well as block ice.
    Rarely do we bring anything home food wise except ketchup and mustard and a few cans of soda and bottled water.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Not sure when you bought it but the most expensive lifetime cooler at Walmart at least near me now is $159.00

9. firepit

Well my new cooler showed up
    And i screwed up just a little.
    I put the wheel kit the that came with it and didnt notice the way its designed before i purchases that the wheels dont allow for the cooler to sit level so i have to fab a block to allow it to sit level.
    They have 3 diffent places to attach wheels but no place to order a extra wheel kit and cooler is made by cowvie and sold under aoodor brand.
    Amazon has no wheel kits that will work.
    Cooler is well made and i have
    Block ice freezing now to do some testing so more to follow.
    One more thing...of course now its on sale for $20 cheaper than when i ordered it....figures!!

Attached Files:

Snow likes this.
  10. firepit

Update...have a 1 gal water jug frozen...4 gatoraide bottles and 4 water bottles in the cooler on the deck pre chilling the cooler for a ice test.

HappyTraveler, kcsa75 and Sweetpea like this.
  11. firepit

Update...got sunday morning to sometimes during the day thurs before all my ice had melted completely...so i think i will be fine once its pre chilled and full of cold items as well as loose ice.

Sweetpea likes this.