Good cordless drill that can be charged w/12v?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Strut, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Strut

Strut Member

I'm looking for a good cordless drill to keep with the PUP for use with the stabilizers and other needs, maybe even lifting the roof. My Craftsman 19v handles the job no problem, but I really want to find something I can recharge via my 12v/solar system. I understand this means I'm probably stuck with a 12v tool, but I have no experience with them. Available torque is much more important for my needs than is battery life. Anyone out there have a good recommendation that may meet my needs?

Thanks in advance,

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I think you'd either need a 9V tool, or a charger that can step up the voltage from 12V. Batteries need a few volts higher than their rated voltage to charge.

3. Strut

Strut Member

I'll be using the same systems to charge a 12v tool as I use to charge the TV and PUP's 12v batteries.

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Dewalt makes 12V vehicle chargers for their tools that operate on different voltages.
    Dewalt makes a charger with a 12V cigarette lighter plug that charges their batteries from 7.2V to 18V, and another two specifically for their 12V and 12V+ 20V tools.

I use my 18V Bosch, and it has enough juice for an entire trip without a recharge as far as running my stabs up and down and any misc things I do with it at a campground.

5. Strut

Strut Member

Thanks, that Dewalt charger is just what I was looking for. I bet the voltage step up to charge the 18v batteries isn't very power efficient on a 12v system, but I doubt I find a 12v tool with the torque I need.

All of my Craftsman 18v batteries are on their last legs and won't hold a charge for any length of time. In all fairness though, they are 5 -8 years old. Craftsman doesn't make a 12v charger so I'm looking elsewhere.

6. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

If you are using a craftsman C3 drill get a lithium battery and charger and call it done. Mine has only been recharged once this season and that is running my stabs numerous times per trip as well as doing many jobs at home. You wont regret the lithium battery.

7. tfischer

Call me old fashioned, but it seems like a lot of money to spend to avoid 20 seconds per stab of hand cranking :)

8. Strut

Strut Member

Tfischer, you're old fashioned! [:D]

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

OK...I shall call you old fashioned but in a respectful tone of voice.

My drill runs the stabilizers, the tongue jack, the roof and the BAL leveler, listed in increasing power needs. When I'm done doing that by hand in Arkansas heat and humidity, I'm standing there drenched in sweat. Using the drill and maybe only my forehead is starting to bead up. Big difference in personal comfort, both mine and the rest of my family's. That's what labor saving devices are supposed to do. That hand crank for raising the roof?...that's a labor saving device as you used to have to lift the roof by hand.

To the OP, if you're only doing stabilizers then you'll never need to recharge in the field. If you add raising the roof then you'll still be fine. I can do two full deployments with all four uses I mentioned above on one lithium ion battery of my Craftsman 19.2v drill. I carried along a second battery on a two week trip to the boonies in Colo recently and never needed it. Running a BAL leveler requires significantly more power than simply raising the roof and light years easier than running stabilizers. I do have the large capacity Li battery and regular capacity as the backup.

10. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Don't call me "old fashioned"! [;)] The Princess is in charge of raising the roof and cranking down the stabs; until she complains we won't be shopping for a new drill. My old, worn out Porter Cable isn't up to the task.

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

How about getting one of the Craftsman C3 19.2-Volt XCP High Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery Packs?

12. bondebond

bondebond New Member

That would have more than enough power to do everything for two to three camping trips if used for stabs and roof.

13. tfischer

LOL with the humidity we've been having this summer I get drenched in sweat just walking across the campsite ;)

14. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

15. rsdata

rsdata Member

strut,

wait untill around Christmas and look at some of the box stores for deals on Lithium battery powered Power Drills. You will probably be able to find one with two batteries, a 120 V AC charger and a nice drill for well under $100 or even under $60. With two bateries, one as a spare, charging at the campground should never be needed.

You will like the LI-ion batteries over the older Ni -cad. The newer batteries require no maintanence, last much longer then Ni-cad, and will run at nearly full speed until they are out of charge, at which time they will simply stop. If you wait 2 minutes, you will get a bit more life, but just a little. Just recharge the spent battery within a few days and you will be OK.

16. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Rather than getting a specialty charger, get an inverter and use the charger you have. We have an inverter allowing us to run the vacuum, refrigerator, microwave, and any other smaller load we want from the batteries.

17. Heritage

Heritage New Member

My fj cruiser has a 110 volt plug.