Good Idea on Kickstarter - For "state park" grills

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Chaaalie, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Chaaalie

Chaaalie Member

If this is not allowed, please let me know and I'll remove ... But I saw this on Kickstarter and thought my fellow pop-up campers might like this idea as much as I do.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2103190272/bbq-wingman-your-easy-grilling-partner

Seems like a pretty good idea ... A "bolt on" extension that creates a shelf and tool hangers -- and a raised warming grate -- to make the typical post-mounted grills that are in many campgrounds and state parks.

I have "backed" this project, but have no other stake in it's success (If you are not familiar with Kickstarter, I only get mine if they reach their funding goal AND successfully navigate the production process ... I only pay if they get enough pledges to hit that goal. There is a risk you could back a project and lose your investment ... So the fact this isn't too expensive is a plus, too.)

Attached Files:

2. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a great idea. Ingenious, really.

3. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Re: Good Idea on Kickstarter - For "state park" grills

People actually use those grills? I don't think I've ever seen one in use. To the point that they basically don't exist around here any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You can buy a "table in a bag" for less, set it up by the grill, and have more space. Plus it works for a lot more things than these specific grills.

But... glad to see people coming up with unique product ideas.

5. Chaaalie

Chaaalie Member

Good points ... There are a couple places I stay that still have them (the ones with the most militant ground-fire rules, typically) so I get to use them (there are also some non-camping parks in my area that have them in their picnic areas) ... And invariably my other portable tables get re-purposes by the wife or kids ... And I really like the idea that this could be single purpose, because that allows me to better control the level of cleanliness on my food surfaces.

6. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Clever idea but I would use it only two or three times a year.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I never cook with charcoal. The grilles I really hate are the ones mounted on the fire rings and can't be moved out of the way.

The kickstarter device is creative but I doubt there would ever be much interest in it as a marketable product.

8. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

We've switched rings with unoccupied sites because of those fixed grills on them.

9. Chaaalie

Chaaalie Member

I pretty much only use charcoal briquettes for Dutch oven camp cooking ... In the grills I'll either use some lump or actual hardwood ... Not that much harder and if done right imparts great flavor on the right meals. (Yes, I'm the one that gets designated as camp cook whenever we go on multi-family camp outs ... So maybe that's why I like this idea so much.)

10. sdn40

sdn40 Member

I see it as an idea 30 years too late.
    There are just too many alternatives these days IMO.

11. A_LPopUp

A_LPopUp Member

I'm gonna have to go with the general opinion here and say that, while it's a good idea that some would find useful, I haven't personally used one of those grills for years.

12. Chaaalie

Chaaalie Member

This is interesting to me ... Someone (other than me) is still using these grills, but who is it?

Also, are all you guys now cooking exclusively on propane stoves? Camping and not grilling anything?

I understand the convenience, but it just seems a little wrong to go "camping" and not have something cooked over an open (orange) flame.

But it looks like I'm the weird one.

13. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Most of the parks that have them here they are in real dirty. I have been for years using a propane grill for BQ cooking and DO.

14. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

I also think this is neat. I have never used one of these grills because they never look appealing but with this set up I would be happy to use it rather than our Coleman stove. Like grilled food.
    [ALPU] [TV]

15. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Those fire pit grates work well to hold my pie irons over the coals.

16. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I love it! Always a PITA not having a table nearby.
    I use the grills almost every evening when camping. I usually have vegetables in aluminum foil on the fire ring grill too!
    Arriving back at campsite after hiking all day, cold beer, building a fire to cook on. That's camping.