Good Problem to Have...Where to go in June of 2020

jeanbean

Aug 17, 2015
Hi all,
We are in the fortunate position to maybe go road-tripping for most of the month of June this year (me, the huz and my 12 year old), from our home in Michigan. We are in moderately good physical shape and love hiking and not into crowds. I cannot handle the heat very well, and would prefer to avoid areas in the height of black fly/midge season.

We have toyed with going to Utah area (Arches/Canyonlands/Capitol Reef) but I worry about the 93 degree plus days since we may be camping without any electric, etc...so little relief from heat...

Then thought about Acadia National in Maine via Northern Ontario, but reading that is in the height of black fly season.

Maybe Grand Teton? But cannot reserve a camping spot (all taken) so will be crowded and will we get a spot or no?

Any other ideas? We basically have almost 4 weeks to work with and I am stymied with selecting an area to explore...

Would love to hear about your explorations in the US in June and how it worked out !

Thanks!!

Thought of going

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
Do you need CGs? Lots of dispersed camping near GTNP. The Gros Ventre Campground is in the park. No reservations and it usually does not fill up in early June. No hookups, great location

Last edited:

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Also, I'm told Gros Ventre campground in Grand Tetons seldom fills.. They now have some power spots, but the sties are assigned on arrival (or at least when friends were there for the eclipse in 2017)

Canyonlands and vicinity will be hot. I took a friend and her daughter there one year, with our first tiny popup, close to 20 years ago, in early June. We had to get out early to see things, then hide during the heat of the day. Also, there are nasty no-see-um gnats in the Moab area- very spotty as to where they are at any given point during their season, but annoying as anything when they're out. We bought head net, the then 11-year old refused to use one.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
About a couple years ago I went to the great smokey mountains. I camped at elkmont campground on the TN side at the national park. No electricity but being in the mountains it should be fine you may even need warmer blankets at night. Lots to see and do there, great hiking trails. I even took a daytrip to travel on the great smokie mountain train I picked up in NC. (so worth it!). After my smokie trip I took a long detour to KY to see mamouth cave national park. I found a state park within a half hour drive from the cave. Lots to explore up there too.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Go to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Twelve years old is a perfect age and I can't believe there is any more spectacular place on the planet.

My mother used to talk to me about the Tetons when I was a boy. It took me 50 years to get there but it was worth the wait. Yes, it'll be crowded, but don't let that stop you.

Last edited:

bluespruce

Jul 6, 2011
I’d vote for Tetons and Yellowstone. We went the middle two weeks of June last year and the weather was perfect. We did not camp so I can’t help there but there is a variety of things to do once you find some places to stay.

We also spent a few days in the black hills in SD and said I could easily spend a week there. We did plan to tent camp and found sites in Custer state park we could reserve. (Later bailed on tent camping for other reasons)

You could also spend time in other areas in Montana/Wyoming/Idaho and probably be away from the crowds with still plenty to do. We are from west Michigan and it is a haul to get to the area but with a month of time that is not a big deal. We have 15 and 13 year old girls and they loved the trip.

Maybe try Glacier NP at the end of the month if the going to the sun road is open.

But, with a month you could also keep going west and hit the parks on the west coast.

So many options with that much time!

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
We do these 2-3 week trips every summer, so I can give you some good ideas. In general, the desert SW, including Arches and the other big parks in June is warm, but I would not say overly hot. Typical highs in the low 90s, very comfortable at night and low humidity. They will be very busy for sure. Yellowstone and Tetons, can recommend for sure at that time, can hit Black hills on the say out, lots to do there. Need reservations for YS, no issue for Tetons - FCFS and you will get a spot for sure. You can head into Idaho from there, very beautiful and then up to Glacier - GTTS road may not be open yet in June (likely not). Most any of the places in CO will be wonderful then. At this point in time, I would not worry about reservations, you should be fine (although you will need to make them ASAP). Sit down with Google maps and a spreadsheet and look at your days and miles and time you want to spend places. You will be surprised how quickly 4 weeks goes by. But, you could easily hit 6-8+ national parks and it would be an awesome trip. You have lots of daylight in June, so you can see a lot of things. Need about 6 days in YS for a good trip, 2-3 in Tetons, 2-4 in Glacier, 2-5 Black Hills, and so on. You won't have any bug issues out West in June.

A lot really depends on how far you want to drive and then the time at each place is how much you want to see, from catching a glimpse of things to more hard core hiking. June is a great month for many areas to visit.

MileHigh

Jul 18, 2012
Denver
The Moab area will be hot but there is almost no humidity. I was there at the end of August last year and while it was in the mid-90's it was very tolerable. I'd vote for Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and Custer, South Dakota and the Black Hills as the weather won't be as hot.

There are still campsites available in Yellowstone but you should book as soon as possible. There are first come / first serve spots as well. Gros Ventre generally doesn't fill so consider that as a spot in the Grand Tetons.

Last edited:

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
I like upstate NY, taking in the finger lakes (waking glen, maybe mid Hudson region and hyde park. Also around the big lake is nice. But you need you US passport. Also 1,000 islands would be nice and you could add some of up state NY into it. You need us passports.