Good setup for a dc charging system.

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Andrew123, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Andrew123

Andrew123 New Member

Hey all. I have a Palomino Philly. Converter works great and power is good on a single battery for my furnace and lights. Can someone guide me in the right direction so I can use an inverter, add another battery (keeping 12v) but also adding a single 110 outlet for my small LED tv and about 2-3 usb outlets to charge my kids walkie talkies and our cell phones? I have a generator but would like this option for after generator hours. Thanks in advance.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that an invertor is a power hog. Why not a 12 volt tv?

Raycfe likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Many on here added 12v USB outlet to their camper, so they can charge the little stuff using the camper battery. You can even buy a 12v socket to power a 12v TV. It may take work to install, but would be far more efficient than using an inverter. Yes an inverter can be used,but not only are you taking power to charge the devices you plug into it, but taking a lot of power to power the inverter itself.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I have an modified sine wave inverter to run a chainsaw sharpener in the field. Terribly inefficient. I run the truck engine while using it. If you do buy one, make sure it is a pure sine wave unit. Electronics do not like the choppy modified wave.

BillyMc likes this.
  5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

A 12 volt TV and a couple 12 volt charging ports will be a lot less drain on your battery. Probably not going to be a vast difference in price either. There are also rechargable TVs that will give you a few hours without draining your battery at all and recharge it during generator hours.

6. Andrew123

Andrew123 New Member

Thanks for the info all. I’ve already bought the tv without even thinking about a dc tv. Kids only watch at bedtime for about 30-45 minutes so not a huge drain. I do have a real small inverter that I’ll use.

7. BillyMc

Does the TV have a square block in the power cord? Does the cord have a plug that connects it to the TV? If both are yes check the output on the block, good chance it is 12 volt. There are cords available to connect them directly to 12 volt.

8. Andrew123

Andrew123 New Member

Ooh. Good call but no it is a straight cord. Is that block a inverter?!

9. BillyMc

That's unfortunate. It would be a converter. Converter AC to DC. Inverter DC to AC.