Good Websites for Trip Planning / Campground Reviews / Etc.?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by GetOutSide, Jun 6, 2011.

1. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

[:(!] Well, Google maps just crashed on me and lost my last 5 destinations and route changes. I have spent the better part of the day trying to finish planning our route across the country, and I am frustrated and disappointed. Each state has it's own state park website layout and navigation system. Reservations are handled through ReserveAmerica, and each campground is another $10 fee for that privilege -and you can't book for 1 night. Most of the reviews I've found are thumbnail and not all that helpful. Then trying to plan stuff to do (especially without straying too far from the interstate, as we have a schedule to keep) near the park is soooo hard! The first several days of our trip across middle America are going to be BORING... I'll have to hope for serendipity to step in and help.

Has anyone found a website or websites (other than this one of course!) that helps this time-consuming search? Thanks.

2. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

Try tripadvisor.com

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We use Good Sam Club!

4. rambus

rambus Member

Ditto!!!

5. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

I have AAA and like their site. I'm not sure if you have to be a member to use.

6. chrisman34

chrisman34 New Member

7. huizarr

huizarr Member

8. LauraLieTx

LauraLieTx Member

I heard that some time shares have a book called RCI I think and a lot of them have rv camp sites does any one know about that?

9. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

RCI is a timeshare group. It requires a membership. The membership allows you to use points/weeks to trade for use at a timeshare other than your own. You can rent an RV through RCI but actual campsites I don't believe you can.... but don't quote me.

10. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

If you like the more primitive style of campground typical of the US Forest Service, this site has reviews of nearly 2400 National Forest campgrounds.

http://www.forestcamping.com/

11. garry4re

garry4re New Member

12. hogfam

hogfam New Member

I have been using rvparkreviews.com a lot to plan ours. I also check out the passport america site (for $44 you can get the park campgrounds listed on their site for 1/2 off-be sure to read through the campsites you like bc some only offer discounted rates on certain nights) Anyway, its a great deal if you find campsites you like along the way! I usually check there and if there are campsites where Im headed then I look them up on the rvparkreviews website.

13. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

This might give some info as where you might camp.

http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/

I have never paid for the POI, but have picked around the site for campsites in trying to lay out a trip.

Started planning a trip from Tampa, to Lansing Michigan, to Los Angeles and then back home. Two months. I try every trick in the book.

Used to use passportamerica a lot, but some of the campsites are located off the main roads. I kind of watch it with the price of gas these days. Also make sure you check the restrictions of each campsite. Some work for us and some don't. John.

14. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

BTW reparkreviews have been very helpful to us also, and pretty accurate. Some of the passport america campgound were not very nice when we got there. I later checked on rvparkreviews and wish I had checked them out before we got there. John.

15. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

While this is a great resource, there are no entries for Minnesota or the Dakotas... my stomping grounds. I hope they improve that.
    However, I did notice when booking state park sites for our upcoming vacation in June to South Dakota that the state park website shows you photos of every site in certain parks there.

16. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

17. cshinn

cshinn New Member

18. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

I have made alot of use of an iPad / iPhone app called "Campwhere". It shows your typical web based map and shows US National Parks, State Parks, Army Corps of Engineers parks, Military only parks, and City / County parks.

If you zoom in, you can click on a park to get basic info (including Lat & Lon). If the park has a web site you can tap on the link to get further info. The app lets you mark certain parks as favorites and it has a search feature to locate parks.

I think it was about $5. We have gotten our moneys worth out of it.

19. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;