Goose Island State Park - Review

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Brate, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Brate

Brate Bravado!

This was a weird one for me because we originally had other plans. Well things fell through at the last minute and I found myself scrambling to save a week of vacation time.

We ended up going to Goose Island State Park and as always I did a little review.

http://mytexasoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/10/goose-island-state-park-review.html

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Awesome review and photo's [8D]

3. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Wonderful review and great photos! It's one of our favs since dh and 17 yo are big fishermen. Daughter, not so much if she's not catching, lol.

I hate the mosquitoes. Awful there. We tent camped there several times (no electric, water, etc.) so I think with electric you could keep them at bay with a few fans. We made due with citronella candles.

And I love how it is so close to so much. And don't forget the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge with Whooping Crane grounds and lookout tower. Also miles of hiking "decks" through the area. We never fail to see alligators, javalina (collard peccary), etc. Lovely.

A trip to Port A, the beach and Wilson's candy shop usually occupy me and the dd if she is not in the mood to fish.

4. Indy

Indy Member

Good info - I think we'll be making Goose Island our December stop. We hope to see whooping cranes, and maybe the mosquitos won't be so bad.

5. WendyLouWho

Indy, No not in December. I am sure it's lovely, but the fishing might not be so great.

6. Indy

Indy Member

True, that may deter dh. Hmmm... it will have to be winter so I can see the cranes.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We camped there back in 1991. We liked the place and would go back there if we were in the area..

8. WendyLouWho

Waaay late reply. Yes, I've always wanted to see them, too. Drop him off for some deep sea fishing and have the day to yourself! [;)]

9. Steelsun

Steelsun "We aim to misbehave"

Just browsing seeing if anyone had recent experience here as we are heading there in 3 days.
    Our last visit was about 5 years ago.

The only negative thing I've experienced there was the airboats launching in the early morning during hunting season (we've stayed twice around thanksgiving and experienced that both times). They are LOUD. We had stayed on the spit, so maybe the wood side is quieter.

10. Steelsun

Steelsun "We aim to misbehave"

Just a late update. We stayed there for 5 days from Xmas on.
    Once again stayed on the spit on the water.

Only negative, and it was beyond the control of mere mortals, was the heavy wind coming off the water. It got so bad that it caused the Pup to sway like a boat. Flex was bad enough one night that our bunk end roof bar actually popped out twice.
    Also the heavy fog one day caused everything to feel moist.

Aside from that it was awesome.

11. JSWeaver

JSWeaver New Member

We stayed at Goose Island SP last weekend. Friendly park rangers, clean restrooms, wifi - so my son could finish his assignment for English class, and a great campsite just feet from the water. Only negative was the wind coming off the bay. It was strong and persistent. The PUP was shaking and the canvas flapping all night long. The dog wasn't even capable of sleeping. The nighttime temp dipped no less than 82° so the rooftop AC wasn't keeping up very well either.