Goshen lift springs: grease or oil?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by McMike, Aug 26, 2015.

1. McMike

McMike Member

Ok, so I have conflicting instructions.

Palomino says to squirt 30 wt oil in between each lift tower joint, and says nothing about greasing the springs. Goshen says to apply grease to the springs via the hole at the pipe bend, and says nothing about oil in the towers. Help!

Additional questions for both:

Oil.
    - Does it really have to be 30 wt.? Will 20 wt. 3-in-1 motor oil do?
    - Where to squirt? Just sort of randomly squirt downward inside along the edge of the overlapping rectangular tubes?
    - How much to squirt?

Grease.
    - How much to insert in each hole?

Additional question about greasing the winch. I know I am being terribly dense here, but how/where exactly does one apply grease to the reel shaft and handle bearing?

Thanks.

Thanks.

2. McMike

McMike Member

Correct answer: C none of the above.

I was mistaken about the source of the "grease the springs" recommendation. That did not come from Goshen, but from instructions someone else put up on the web. Goshen did; however, contradict Palomino's instructions. I am inclined to follow the manufacturer in this case.

Here's what Goshen had to say in reply to my email:

"Our web-site does not instruct putting oil in the spring tube. But it is okay to do so. However there is a grease zert on opposite ends of the master tube. You should put grease in each. The springs will carry the grease thru the tube."

"Do not put oil or grease on the telescoping posts. They don’t need anything unless they are sticking, then you could spray on silicone. Oil will attract dust and make it worse."

3. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

Trust Goshen. Add grease to the main tube on either side like they mention. Alot of users here do use silicone spray on the posts at the beginning and end of the season as maintenance. If you do use the silicone spray, put a piece of cardboard between your post and canvas for overspray, silicone can discolor the fabric.

DG

4. Jimmy the rug

Jimmy the rug New Member

I was just at Goshen stamping in Indiana last week I got to tour the factory with the lead engineer real nice guy, He told my to squirt grease in to the springs, What a great bunch of people that work there

5. McMike

McMike Member

I am just going to pretend I didn't hear that.

Although I did find a nifty spray can of white lithium grease that came with a small red application tube that would have easily fit in the spring tube holes. I was looking forward to seeing how it was able to squeeze grease through that tiny tube.

6. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

My guess would be he could use something like these.

We use these extensively on aircraft Zerk and flush grease fittings.

Attached Files: