Got a few more mods done

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by thegoodlife, Oct 30, 2011.

1. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

I did a few more mods to the pup and TV.

I took the propane cover off the tongue and welded some sheet metal on to give me somewhere to put my concrete anchors for our awning. The bar going accross the top of them is held in place with pins. There is a pin in each of the posts that I welded to frame and a pin in each anchor. Just pull the pins and lift the bar off. I also made some brackets to mount a storage container which has my wheel chocks, crank handle, a level, and wrench for my home made leveler. Now we need to let the kids decorate the anchors.
    [​IMG]

I made some rails to go accross the bed of my truck to mount a rooftop carrier on. I have a pipe mounted beside the carrier that has all our fishing rods in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

Very creative solutions! What material did you use to make your awning anchors - cement? How much do they each weigh - are those 5 gallon buckets?

3. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Nice. I love imagination.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

How much has that increased your tongue weight and where is your battery?

5. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

The anchors are made from concrete. I used flower pots for the molds. They weigh about 30lbs each. It actually helped with my tongue weight. With nothing loaded in the camper I could easily pick up the tongue with one hand and was having a problem with pup swaying at 60mph. The extra weight and bigger TV really helped(we were towing with a S10 Blazer). It towed great behind my Silverado last weekend. As far as a battery goes, we don't have one. There was not one on pup when we bought it and since we only camp where there is power hookups, we don't really need a battery.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Do you have electric brakes on the PUP? If so, you need a battery of some sort to power the emergency breakaway switch. If you don't need a deep cell for camping something like a motorcycle battery will do.

7. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

I do not have brakes on it right now but, I do plan on installing them in the future. We just bought PUP at the end of April and have mostly been camping within 100 miles of home. I have not had any issues with stopping but I know it would be safer with trailer brakes.

8. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Very creative.

And as for th trailer brakes, some said you need a battery if you have trailer brakes. This is only true if you also have a emergency break away switch for the trailer brakes. Some units do not have this and only operate off the signal from the TV.

Back to your mods, I like them. I plan on adding a second propane tank in the same locations.

Here is an idea. (seeing as you have access to a welder and maybe a torch....) Get 2 old style propane tanks (ones with out the opd valves)https://www.google.com/search?q=old%20propane%20tanks&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=747&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw and make then in to the anchors. They will look just like propane tanks and should look pretty cool. Just drill a hole in them before cutting to make sure they are empty.

FL Bill

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

True enough, but if you already have electric brakes, why wouldn't you want to add a break-a-way switch for a few extra bucks. Could you save a lot of $$$ and a lot safer.

10. Liv

Liv New Member

Great Job!
    Lov
    Liv

11. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Love that anchor mount. You are half way to creating a bicycle mount system like Pro-Rac!

12. zjrog

zjrog Member

I see those weight holders as an easy way to support the bunkends... Nice mods overall.