Got an EZ-Up? + poll

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Ryanincc, Jun 18, 2014.

Do you have an EZ-Up or something else?

1. EZ-Up for us

41.3%
  2. Other brand.

58.7%
  1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Ive noticed that most people that have a canopy, have an EZ-Up. I have a Coleman that I really like. Takes only a couple minutes to set up, has extra guy lines for high wind etc....just works great. Is there something special about the EZ-Ups that other brands don't have, or is it something else?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I think many people have shelters that are easy to find and are often available at a good price. When our last table canopy wore out (it used two poles and 10 guy lines), I did look at the EZ-up and similar shelters, but they are too bulky for our transportation space and too heavy for my blown back. We ended up with a free-standing shelter, which I can use by myself. It does require staking, but is easy for me to handle:
    http://www.rei.com/product/794290/rei-alcove-shelter
    We have one wind wall, which covers one or two adjacent sides.
    There are many sizes and styles of canopies available, so it may take some research to find one that works for each camping set-up.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a Quest canopy we purchased at Dicks Sporting Goods that was on sale.

4. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We have both (EZ-Up and a trailer canopy). We also have a First-up.

We generally will always use the trailer canopy because sets up easy and is fixed, it also allows storage close to the pup and you can go outside without dodging rain drops to get to a canopy.

We also use a portable canopy (I prefer the First-Up) as a portable shelter either away from the pup or to extend the trailer canopy.

The difference between my 10'x10' easy up and the 10'x10' first up is where each measures the 10'x10'. The first up has legs that go straight down and the covered area is 10'x10' the easy up legs angle out and the covered area is 9'6"x9'6".
    The first up is heavier but also better built.

5. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

I think the correct poll would be;

How do you choose your pop-up?
    Brand
    Recommendations
    Cost

6. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

My theory is that with canopies like this, one can observe the effect of "WalMart-ization," where initially, the name brands may have been of better quality at one time, but had to gradually reduce prices (and therefore quality) to compete with the low price and crappy product WalMart was selling. So basically. I think all the sub $100 ones are of similar (marginal) quality.

The commercial ones have substantially heavier frames but come with a premium price.

We are on our third one, the first two having been broken by 1) the dog, 2) an adult child.

This time I bought a brand name (Qwik Shade) that was on sale + a 20% coupon at Sports Authority (~$75 I think). I immediately broke one of the folding canopy supports on our first outing due to user error [:(O] [RTM]. I found out however, the name brand has spare parts available for order!

7. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

"We have a Quest canopy we purchased at Dicks Sporting Goods that was on sale. "
    X2^^ With the screen room attachment [;)]

8. MissLou

MissLou Member

We bought the E-Z Up because it was on sale! That's the only reason we chose that brand over others. We got the basic model and it works fine for us.

9. br9

br9 Member

Got a 12 by 12. I've set it up twice at home. For practice. Hauled it in camper for one season. Never used it. So now it sits in the corner of spare bedroom. Just taking up space.

10. cma7777

cma7777 Member

We had a 10 X 10 EZ Up that the leg bent the first time we used it. I believe that it was partly our falt as well as the poor quality of it. We now have a Coleman and feel that it is a much better product.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't have one of those canopies because they are heavy and require two people to set up. I do have a Coleman screen house that is light weight and can be set up by one person. I only use it when there is a bug problem and that's been once in the last five years or so.

12. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

We have a First-UP (not to be confused with an EZ-up). Walmart brand; I think we paid $97, 5 or 6 years ago. I can set it up alone, but it's easier with help. It's heavy, so I don't take it every trip, but when the rain comes along, it's glorious.

13. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

The First-Up brand is alot nicer and more durable. We have had ours longer than I can recall. Sets up with one person and has all the usual accessories. Use it several times a year.

14. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

We also have a quest brand with the screen room. A friend of mine has a Franken-up. Whenever he sees someone pitching a canopy he grabs the usable parts. He has a small pile behind his shed. Whenever he breaks a part of it, he heads to the pile. It may not look the best, but its functional.

15. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

The awning that came on my Pup was in decent shape, but the bag was garbage and the poles didn't exactly inspire confidence. Thought about just replacing the bag, but in the end, I took a razor knife to the whole thing. Too much time to set up by myself and I don't like the idea of guy wires crossing everywhere. The EZ-UP is a no brainer, folds down conveniently, and can be used anywhere its needed....unlike the awning. We take it to the beach, 4th of July parades, BBQs and everywhere else. Been the best Father's Day gift.

16. GMD

GMD Member

We use both, the awning on our pup and we purchased two of the E-Z UP 10 FT. x 10 FT. Sierra II You can purchase the screen as a separate item which makes it nice if you want or don't want a screen room. The screen is easy to add / remove. The EZ-up canopies take just a few minutes to set up. Another plus is that you can take them anywhere you need a shelter outside of camping..
    We purchased our two at Dick's Sporting goods. Cost was about $95.00 each which I think they were on sale. Screen attachment was around $30.00
    We live in Florida, needless to say one is a screen room and one is for a shelter from the sun or that occasional rain..

17. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have a Quest 12X12 picked up at Dicks and its on its 6th year. It has weathered quite a few storms in October and sometimes remains set up for a couple weeks at a time on the mountain. Its starting to show its age though and they discontinued this particular one.

I also have an EZ UP 12X14 we have only used once, it will pool some water at the bottom edge but not enough to damage or collapse it. It survived one of the hardest rains I have ever seen while camping and it rained for 2 straight days.

What kills these canopies is usually not the wind, its water build up. Some designs are made so once it starts pooling the more weight it gains and the more it sags the more water it holds, until the frame gives out.

I would not doubt that all of these brands are made in the same Chinese factory.

18. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

We have a 10X10 Coleman we bought on sale at Target and we love it.
    We use it and the bag awning that came with the camper.

Most everything camping related we own is Coleman brand so the wife insisted that this be Coleman too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 Chevy Suburban
    '99 Coleman Westlake

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I think a great way to damage a first up is to have clueless help!

20. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

We ditched the bag-of-tricks awning that came with the camper in favor of an 10x10 ez-up style canopy. It was a gift from the In-laws for Christmas. Used it 3 times already this year, set it up/down 2 of those 3 times by myself fairly easily. We added the screen room for the DW.
    I like it because its heavy, the canopy can be pulled tight from all sides/angles, and it can be staked down from the feet and guy wires both.