Got my new to me PUP - and here come the questions

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by northernmum, Jul 11, 2010.

1. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

We just purchased a '93 Coleman Destiny, and it's in great shape. DH and I set it up to the side of our driveway today, somewhat in the empty lot next door. For our first time, I think we were less than 20 minutes start to finish. [:D] I cleaned it all up inside, and gave the awning a good cleaning (after reading a tip on OxyClean on here).

It appears that we've got a 15 Amp hookup. Is that standard? Or is 30 Amp? Should I get an adaptor?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Where we live, doing a backyard/driveway camp isn't too easy. Our driveway is slanted, our street is busy - next to no privacy at night. Should we trial run it somewhere local to see how it works?

2. mtnman

mtnman New Member

When we bought our new-to-us pup, (a 2000 Coleman Sedona, alsso in the Destiny line), I thought it also was equipped with a 15 amp connector. But I discovered that the previous owner had put on a small adapter. When I pulled off the adapter, there was the 30 amp connector. You might have the same situation.

As for a first night in the pup, given the setting you have described, I'd suggest trying a nearby provincial park. I don't know where in Canada you are located, but last summer my wife and I visited Nova Scotia, and the pprovincial parks there were wonderful. I hope wherever you live the parks are just as nice.

3. DLynn44

DLynn44 New Member

I am new too, what is the tip with the Oxyclean you read? We did a trial run too, just 20 min's from home. We've actually just kind of increased our travel each time out. LOL So far the furthest we've gone is 30 min's away. The big week long adventure comes next week we'll be going a whole 2 hours away for the entire week!

4. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

Where the electrical hook up is, under the dinette, the plug is a "typical" one. Like the kind you see on a good extension cord.

We're really close to some gorgeous provincial parks - the hard part is getting a campsite. They are so busy and booked up, this is late in the season to start. Our first planned trip is to a close-ish one, but without power. Which is probably why we'll be able to get a campsite, instead of the bigger park closer by. [;)]

As for the Oxyclean, I just used it mixed with water to clean the awning (which was kind of mildewey and a touch smelly - it's not anymore!)