Got our TV and trailer weights - are we in trouble?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by raising4daughters, Oct 10, 2021.

1. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

I dont believe thats how it works... The extra weight on the axles will be the amount of weight that the trailer puts on the ball mount. The forces dont just disappear b/c of leverage (moment). If a 200lb man stood on the ball mount, the weight of the vehicle would go up by 200lbs....

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Just my opinion. Don't know why anyone would want their truck to look like a dog taking a dump.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  3. WrkrBee

The forces don't disappear, but they are transferred. Adding 200 pounds to the ball changes the center of gravity of the tow vehicle back. As the center of gravity moves back, the rear axle sees more weight and the front axle sees less.

4. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Agree. But if Im reading Ed's post correctly, he said, "because of leverage that 660lbs is not the real tongue weight it is higher so your tongue weight is quite a bit lower than that." Maybe that just confuses me? But it makes me think he means that the weight added up on the axles does not equal the tongue weight.

If the vehicles weight went up by 660lbs, then the weight the tongue of the trailer is putting on the ball mount is 660lbs. If he had a WDH, then things would be a little different. Some of the tongue weight is put back on the trailer axles.

5. Ed Llorca

Ed Llorca Member

My language about the leverage could be confusing. Let's not confuse vehicle weight with axle weight, they are very different. The key phrase in my post is "weigh the tongue", so the math and it's mistakes can be put aside.

6. WrkrBee

It's a "sum of the moments" physics thing. You can take the same 200 pounds, and depending on where you place it, you can completely unload the front axle. It can be a leverage thing.

Donkey.jpg