Got some new Coleman stoves

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Sneezer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Was surfing FB again, and picked up a couple deals. Found a 414 with electronic ignition. They only made these for a couple years in the mid 90s. I had previously found a 425 with electronic ignition at a thrift store that I swapped the tank with a dual fuel one as the original leaked at the seams. Before that I find I never knew they made such a beast. Got lucky and found this companion 414. One burner didn’t spark, and the PO had added a piece of a pipe clamp in an effort to close the gap. Turned out the wire had pulled off the sparker. Re-hooked it and back in business. Fired up with little issue.

Also found a 3 burner 428, which I think was the last 3 burner they made and the only one that was dual fuel. Was leaking at the valve stem but a 1/4 turn on the nut tightened it back up and re-sealed it. Seems to run a little low though, so I think I will blow out the burners and clean the generator. This is my 2nd 3 burner, I have an older 426D from the 70s I think, which is destined for my son if he wants it. I hope to find a 426C to add to the stable though, but so far all the ones around me have been too expensive or pretty trashed. Our local Goodwill that used to specialize in all the scout uniforms and camping gear closed up during COVID last year which was always a good source for me.

Earlier in the summer we visited Wichita for a college visit, so naturally I figured I should check the local FB. Found a railroad anvil for my son (he is wanting to dabble in blacksmithing) and someone selling a 5428 propane stove for a good price. Couldn’t pass it up since they are pretty hard to come by, especially for cheap. Now I have 2 of these awesome stoves, so I am set for most group camp needs. With scouts I’ll use the twin 5428s in the warmer months, and the 426/428 for winter.

Decided I need to cull down my stoves after these purchases too, so I have a 414 and 425 pulled aside for my son, and will get rid of the spare 413, and likely some of the other lpg stoves I have accumulated over the years.

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

Nice finds!

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you unscrew the burners, you can clean the rings individually. Take the rust off of them. Pretty stright forward. Good luck there cool stoves.

F. Jake Glotz likes this.
  4. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

FB market place had someone local. She gave me her Coleman propane stove, gas ,pots and some hiking maps.. God bless her!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I’m kinda partial to older 3 burners myself
    426b 1957
    98E75E17-65D9-4B5F-831A-7606572768C7.jpeg

6. F. Jake Glotz

F. Jake Glotz New Member

I have a 413E with a copper colored tank. It is undated but I think it was made in the late 50’s prior to the red tanks. I took it all apart last winter and painted the burner assembly and sanded the rings. The case had such long, well earned patina that I could not bring myself to repaint the green.

Attached Files:

xxxapache, theseus and Bowman3d like this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Nice. There are times I prefer the older green they used over the darker green they transitioned to. If I ever find a 426C in good shape I'll pick one up, and gift my 426D to my son if he wants it. I added some rings to my 424 simply because I had spares and wanted to mess around. Not sure if it made any difference but I admit to not really paying attention most of the time.

8. F. Jake Glotz

F. Jake Glotz New Member

In the case that you are a “Stovie” or a wannabe, Terry Marsh has a great webpage on Stoves and lanterns. It doesn’t help with prices, but it is a really presents a history of Coleman devices. I wanted to simplify and have one fuel source, propane, but the white gas Coleman stove creates so much more heat. I just can’t part with it at the campsite. This is especially true at higher elevations.

https://terry-marsh.com/coleman-us-stoves-early-1950s-present/

kcsa75 likes this.