Got taken with used PUP purchase!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by 49gmc, Apr 26, 2019.

1. George2018

George2018 Member

There was a good thread about a floor repair a few years ago.
    1997 Viking 2060ST rebuild (floor, front compartment) was the title. Taking popups apart is like doing a cheaply made horrible puzzle. Take lots of pictures so you know where everything goes. Good luck!

2. TAMMI

TAMMI Member

3. TAMMI

TAMMI Member

Sorry to hear that. My hope is that after you complete the repairs you will be skilled enough to help others that encounter other shady sale practices. Who knows... this journey could lead to a new money- making hobby or business! Please share before and after pics. Best of luck to you!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

Nice shop!!

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

@49gmc , how are things going with the camper?

6. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

The over sink cabinet does show in one of your photos on page 1. At 6' 5" you won't be doing much cooking at those low cabinets. Our daughter was 6 when my parents purchased their 1969 Steury PUP. She found those counters just the right height for her.
    Your Jayco appears to have been a really nice camper and you seem to be the right person to bring her back to life. I'm clueless on lift systems and water damage repair, but there are others on this forum who can and will help. I hope you have just been busy since April 29 and will be posting updates for us soon.

7. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I was thinking the same thing!
    Shop envy! ;);)

8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

People in general pi$$ me off, especially shysters, & I hate like hay hearing about folks getting hoo-dood...we've all been "took" at one time or another, sometimes more than once, & over the years I've become less trusting when making a purchase unless it's a close friend, even then I make sure they'll refund me if not happy lol...I've found it's best to be straight up & honest when selling anything, as everything comes full circle, but that's not always the case w/ folks; sorry you got shafted, but salute for making the best of it, hope all goes well...

9. Orchid

Another day and I still don't see any household vents. I see the fridge vents and hot water tanks vents only. What am I missing? I keep looking at the pics trying to figure out what others are seeing that I'm not.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its on the top side , where the ac is. Check on the picture oposite the awning.

Orchid likes this.
  11. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Screenshot (81).png
    These are what i was talking about. They look like household vents tacked up for some sort of ventilation when it's closed.

HappyTraveler, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Could be to cover a hole or crack also. Without the op seeing whats there we will never know!

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  13. Orchid

Awww, now I see! I never looked up. LOL

Thanks for clearing that up! It's been a mystery I've looked for a few times now.

tzmartin, Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

15. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

It does look like a nice camper. Look at all them drawers inside!!
    Good luck with it. I too found more issues once I started poking around our N2U pup. Nothing that cant be fixed and learned from!

16. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

The vent in the top is to vent the fridge when the top is down as you can see how it aligns with the lower vent. There should only be one pushrod per lifter post, so not sure why you have two shown in your pic. The push rods are rusty, they should not be. If you have access to the lifter posts at each corner, that will simplify things. Follow the lift system manual. Lubing each pulley and the rest of the system, push rods should be good. Support the roof with 2 x 4s while working on the lift system. Once you look at it, you will see it is relatively straight forward. If you have floor rot, you can get at the corners by cutting out and replacing (sliding in) from the outside under the side walls. If the damage area is more extensive, then you have to remove interior cabinets and go from there. If the roof and canvas are in good shape (canvas looks good), then once you get the rest fixed, you should be good to go. The normal top fridge vent on a pop up is in the side wall, not sure why they have one that is higher up. Also, the low pressure stove works fine outside as long as you have some decent side wind shields and your cover does not have them built in, so you will have to fix that.

Karen in Iowa and HappyTraveler like this.