GPS tracking for camping trailer

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Mickeyrv, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] Does anybody know of a gps tracking device I could install on or inside my new hybrid travel trailer. I kinda like the ones that are available with solar charging of rechargeable batteries. I can hook one up to my camper battery (deep cycle 12 volt DC) if necessary as I keep my unit at home and it is plugged in 24/7. The battery would then last close to a month should somebody decide to steal my camper. I would notice it missing within a few hours and start the tracking / police action and hopefully get my unit back before it was very far away.

2. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

Now that sounds like a perfect dream in a perfect world. It just might work though. Good Luck with that.

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Lojack or a fleet tracking system would be best.

4. Winston

Winston New Member

These are for heavy equipment:

http://www.rmtracking.com/heavyequipment.php

However, for the cost of the monthly service plan you could probably get an insurance policy that would just buy you a new camper if it got stolen AND cover a lot of other incidents that may happen as well.

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Put a lock on the hitch and a lock on the wheel. I mean really, is crime that bad where you live.

6. Klautt

Klautt Member

I used this as my Dog GPS tracker, and I'm sure it would work here too: iphones.
    Buy a used iphone 3GS (should be cheap now with the iphones 5 out) ~50
    Set it up on a pay as you go plan. The cheapest I could find in Canada is free for txt/calls, but $10 a month for 100MB of Data. You need need some Data in the plan. I found that only checking for GPS locations on a daily basis only used about 10 MB for a month.
    With your iphone, create a new apple ID /icloud account.
    Now stick that phone in the camper, maybe have it charging off a secret 110V outlet so it charges when the camper is plugged in.

You can now track it's location using icloud.com. Or if you have Mac products, add the phone on "Find My Friends" and you can find it yourself on the go.

Works like a charm when I'm out on a hike and my Husky runs off. - Yes, my Dog has his own iphone.

CON: Monthy fee for Data. Must be in Cellular Range.

7. nsondrol

nsondrol New Member

I read something a while back on the DeWalt site (yes the powertool company) that offers job site security and GPS tracking that might help with your situation, check out the link:

http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/main.asp

8. Mickeyrv

[TV] >> http://www.thisoldcampsite.com/This_old_campsite4/Trailer_Theft.html << check out this link...
    Trailer Theft. It could happen to you. The thieves are stealing brand new units from Dealers and taking units out of peoples yards,
    A Lot of them wind up as a Meth Lab out in the wilderness, But a bunch of them follow this track:

Person purchases a old used trailer for low cost, then steals a newer unit and uses the title to secure a license plate for the old unit, Places the tag on the stolen unit and uses it for years.. One does not have to have separate insurance for a camper so the vin number never gets used. makes the stolen unit almost impossible to find.

I am in the process of finding a tracking device that one could place in the plastic battery box on the trailer. By keeping the trailer plugged in the battery should stay fully charged. Then you secure your battery box to your camper with a metal strap and high tensile strength padlock. If your trailer disappears from your property, then you would track it with your pay per use tracking service on your PC. Each tracking use would cost about 5 bucks or less and therefore no monthly tracking fee would be involved.

Would this type of device and service interest anyone here. ? ? ? ? Total cost would be under 100 bucks. and the tracking service would be a pay per use only, with no monthly fee. My insurance company said that this setup would reduce my policy premium if I elected to have a policy.

9. Tonimus

Tonimus Member

10. Mickeyrv

Tominus I looked at your link and discovered a major problem with it. Lets say I go to the store and purchase a tire and wheel assembly (under 50 bucks) and then remove your wheel with the lock on it. bolt on my new wheel and tire and then drive off with your entire camper leaving behind your wheel and lock. How much are you out, it only took me an extra 15 minutes to steal your entire investment.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I guess that if you are that concerned about theft and the tracker would ease your mind, you should go ahead with it. However, there are thousands of people registered here and theft just hasn't been an issue for the overwhelmingly vast majority of them. Most of us are happy with a coupler lock and/or a chain through the wheel and around the axle. Many use no security devices at all.

BTW: It's better for the battery to charge it once per month than to leave it plugged in 24/7. The charging circuitry in the trailer's converter isn't as effective and efficient as a stand-alone three-stage charger.

12. Winston

Winston New Member

Perhaps you need to read the post a second time. Please note the red text

13. Tonimus

Tonimus Member

Winston, thank you for pointing that out. Mickeyrv, yes you could defeat the boot and even the locking lug nuts can be defeated. If you know what you're doing, it's rather easy. Any method of theft "prevention" is really just theft "deterrent." If you make it sufficiently difficult to steal, they'll move on. A GPS tracker while a good idea, really should be used in conjunction with some form of deterrent. Also, if you do get Lojack or similar, it doesn't do you any good if the camper goes to another jurisdiction that doesn't use it. Additionally, some GPS trackers don't work well or at all in the deep woods with tree cover...

14. Winston

Winston New Member

I think a sticker that said "GPS tracking unit equipped" would be more effective than the actual GPS unit. [LOL]