GPS Tracking Units

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by strangiato, Aug 17, 2020.

1. strangiato

strangiato Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi All,
    I am (maybe a bit over) worried about our PUP getting stolen from our driveway. I have been thinking about installing a GPS tracker, but don't want to go overboard with the cost. I have a coupler lock, a locking lever pin lock, and a wheel clamp lock. I also plan to get some locking lug nuts.

Has anyone used one they recommend? I am okay with a moderate monthly charge if needed and would like it to ping at about 10 minute intervals or better. The best price I've seen so far is $10/mth at that level.

Thanks!

nectarsis likes this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just make sure your Home Owners or Auto insurance covers the camper. Lock the receiver. But if it make you feel better, $10 a month will help you sleep at night. Those PopUp Campers make for great crack-house in Chester. [LOL]

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You can hire some mercenaries to guard it with automatic weapons 24/7. Cost a little more.

4. hoverfish

hoverfish Member

Is that for the Spot Trace? That's the best price I know of as well.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

wrap the chains around the tongue and lock them up. Thieves can just use the chains to hook up and drag it off, then use tools to defeat the rest of the stuff.

I bought a driveway anchor but I have yet to install it. Uses 3 concrete anchors, then use a big old hardened chain to lock into it and onto the pup somehow. I think it was a Gorilla brand? I'll have to dig it out and look.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

After your wife trips over the concrete anchor and knocks herself for six, you will have to make your own sammiches!

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Well, I do the cooking anyway, so no change!

I think this is what I got:

Kryptonite ground anchor

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

A cheaper option is to use one of those dog gps tags. It can at least notify you if it left the area although the tracking portion is only good for like 80' from your devises location. So you can't rely on being able to find it, unless it's in the area. It could at least be able to tell you exactly when it left. A home security camera I would think may be a better option and as a bonus be a deterrent.
    . Sadly nothing can stop a determined criminal, but most crimes are caused by opportunity. So you just need to minimize the opportunity like you are doing. If your really concerned then perhaps take a wheel off the camper. Grant you, I don't know where you live but if crime is really high In your area
    , it may be safer to store the camper in an off site storage yard with security.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Some people take a wheel off.

10. strangiato

LOL, Indeed.

Know anyone? :laugh:

It was actually for Trak-4. That seems to be the going rate.
    I think I'll do the chain wrap thing and get a good lock for it.

I have been considering a camera system anyway, so this is one more reason to get it done. It's not really a high crime area, but the next town over is consistently rated as one of the worst in the country. I might take a wheel off, or at least put the spare in the garage so the locked wheel can't be replaced with it.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We chain our junkyard dog to it.

Just joking. We got those tile tracking things. I left one in the camper. Our popup I had the the ball and the pin lock, but never use them. So the tile might work, my lock will not work since I dont use them. But we live in an area that many people dont lock their doors.

12. strangiato

I have been trying to convince my wife to get a dog!

The tiles are Bluetooth only, correct? I'm looking for full GPS.