1. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

went on to good SAM site to get directions and yet again it tells me to go on a parkway! trailers(pups) are not allowed. bridges and tunnels have restrictions on propane (i have 2 20lb tanks)
    i already have a auto garmin but think i have to switch to a "trucking type" any suggestions?

any with campgrounds built in that WONT put me on a parkway!
    signed frustrated in NY
    [ALPU]

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Alright, so this is the first I've ever heard about this. Let me see if I'm getting you. There are roads in the States that you are NOT allowed to pull your Pup down? Why? How do you know which ones? I'm glad I found out about this as there was a possibility of going down there next summer (2013) with the Pup. I'd have to check into this and re-evaluate.

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Tell it to avoid parkways my $100 tomtom can do it I'm sure your Garmin can
    Screw it let's camp !

5. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

i told good SAM direction to avoid parkway, but there seems there is a stretch of road that good SAM doesn't classify as a parkway BUT the signs say "passenger cars only" and it IS part of the parkway according to nys police.

i will try my garmin today to see IF it will avoid the parkway

parkways are for "passenger vehicles" ONLY no trucks uhaul hardside campers and more importantly "no pups"
    there are "hazardous material" restrictions on certain bridge and tunnels. no i don't know all of them. and in NYC there are ALOT.

to wrenchgear: the roads are narrow and/or curvy and there would also be height restrictions 4 meters ~

if you come to visit NY (please come) check highway (parkway) restrictions. you don't want to be stuck by police and have to get off road then find out where you are.

case in point....rally in D>C> i would go thru Baltimore tunnel (no propane) must divert to Francis Scott key bridge.

which brings me to the point do I really need a dedicated RV gps?

6. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

I don't believe any gps will solve the issue because not all "Parkways" are the same. I just looked at NYC DOT website and there are parkway restrictions for commercial traffic but no mention of recreational vehicles or trailers. The "Parkway" in Banff National Park in Alberta is actually a segment of our national highway carrying every type of vehicle imaginable. It really boils down to route planning before you enter a region - all part of the adventure.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I would not bother spending the money on a GPS unit for truckers. They are a bit more expensive than a GPS unit for a car. Just plan your route and know what roads to stay off of and your GPS should recalculate and reroute you. Case in point is thru Baltimore to avoid the tunnel. Just know what exit to get off of and your GPS unit will reroute you. I know, our Garmin did just that.

8. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

garden state parkway allows trailers?

yea i really dont want to spend the money. i will do some route planning and i will call it "part of the adventure". even the george washington bridge, propane on the upper level, the balt tunnel you are allowed 10 10# containers but not allowed 1 20#. ps my gps will allow NO HIGHWAYS and NO TOLLS but nothing about parkways which wouldnt make sense anyway????

thanks for the help

dan