grab bar for the popup

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by SteveP, Sep 24, 2019.

1. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

After our last camp, which had the Bal Leveler maxed out on the door side of the camper, Debi asked for a grab rail by the door. It took some creative searching, but I finally found a Stromberg-Carlson Mini Assist rail that fits the popup nicely. It's a fairly easy install. I drilled pilot holes slightly angled toward the door to make sure it got a grip into the door frame and coated the screw threads with latex caulk when installing. 20190924_150717.jpg [/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

nineoaks2004, hq308, Squeeker and 2 others like this.
  2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Fantastic idea! My wife is mobility challenged, & we've been looking for something to make it a little easier for her to get into our pup. Just ordered one, thanks!!

SteveP likes this.
  3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

2 of my 3 Pups came with a handle like that from the factory. Makes it nice for the little people to get in and out of the camper.

4. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Our 2012 Chalet aframe has the high sidewalls and a lifted suspension. Even with the two step fold down stairs it's quite a long steep drop to the ground. The factory grab handle wasn't enough for us to feel secure. Mounted a Stromberg Carlson folding handle. Only one size was available at that time- ca. 2013- what is now the large size.

The layout of the Chalet door structure was such that screws into frame would not be possible. Mounted the handle by drilling all the way through the sidewall, and substituting stainless steel bolts, fender washers, lock washers and cap nuts. Silicone sealant went into the drilled holes, and a ring of it under the handle base. Had to trim the bolts to length with a hacksaw and file, a little at a time, until length was just right for cap nuts to draw assembly tight. Wanted the cap nuts so as to have a smooth end behind the dinette cushion.

The foam rubber grip on the handle has deteriorated, and has been replaced with bicycle handle bar grip tape. Works just fine.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My TT came with one by the door just like yours, makes a big difference to us who has joined old farts club :) and even the younger ones. Look really good and also sturdy. Good Luck and Keep on camping