grab bars for getting in and out easier

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by RMRayl, May 1, 2014.

1. RMRayl

RMRayl New Member

Not sure if this has been posted or tackled but one thing we noticed on our NTU pup was no place to place our hands to help steady us getting in or out. DW just had a knee replacement at the VA last year and I have a laundry list of issues so it was a little bit of a worry, especially if we were carrying anything. We bought some grab bars to put on top of the counters but the bunks won't clear so that was out. The other day I was over at Harbor Freight picking up a few things and saw a suction cup based grab bar. The suction cups on this thing are strong, you could probably pop dents out of a car fender with it so we are hopeful this will at least give us a little bit of a handle to use.

in case anyone else would like to check into it it's http://www.harborfreight.com/bath-safety-grip-handle-96086.html

and if there is any interest i'll gladly update this after we open the pup up on Friday for cleaning/packing/stocking.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Here is my take on this ........ held on by suction cups, what happens if the suction fails. Worse trouble. Add a handle, but screw it on secure.

3. arffch

arffch Member

x2 what raycfe said. the small handles (12") on the outside and inside of the door frame helped dw getting in and out. I saw another couples pup that had a thick rope on door frame that he used to pull himself into the pup. just my [2C] if your pup if texured on the outside the suction won't work like on a smooth surface. Good kuck!

4. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Our dealer sells a grab bar for approx $39.00 that screws into the side of the PUP. Thought about getting one, but I haven't gotten to the point where I drill holes in it yet.

5. RMRayl

RMRayl New Member

same for us I don't want to drill holes, especially on the outside, we are opening it up in a few, i'll see how well it stays put on the counter top.

6. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

7. RMRayl

RMRayl New Member

ok so we set up the pup and I set up the little handle on the counter top, I'm 6'3" and well lets just say I wouldn't be ever be called thin, and the handle held tight. I put a little more oomph to it just to see if it would give and it stayed put. It's not an optimal solution, a step stool out front beside the step would be better I'm sure. Anything mounted on the side of the box would probably be a waste as it would be to low to be much help, but thanks to all for the ideas.

here is a quick picture I snapped of the thing locked down tight on the counter inside the door opening.
    [​IMG]

8. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

I bought an rv handle from a local dealer and installed. Works very well and and looks like its factory.
    [​IMG]

9. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

yes, your handle looks good, can you still use stove on side? Looks pretty close to the rail. [?]

10. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

I actually do not use the stove it had came with, I use a Coleman 2 burner stove. I made small table to put there for making plates and putting condiments etc and it fits great still. Really the only ones that use it are the little ones.

11. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

[ALPU] Our Chalet Arrowhead Aframe came to us with the "Trail Boss" options- bigger rims and tires, heavier axle, and 4" extra clearance, two treads on folding steps. Love the clearance when on four digit USFS roads (the more digits the rougher the road), but it is a long way down to the ground. Add a sloping site and it's even longer. So, the very first accessory added was a Stromberg-Carlson folding grab handle. These now come in two sizes.

Mounted it paying attention to the sandwich skin wall material used by Chalet. The top mount was no problem, bolts could go through aluminum channel. For the bottom the load is spread across a 2 x 4 x 1/4 inch alunimun bar on the inside, down low behind the bench cushion. Used lots of sealant inside and out, stainless steel bolts, washers and cap nuts to give a smooth no-snag finish.

I don't have many infirmities (yet), but appreciate the extra security this device gives over the rather small factory handle. Especially welcome when exiting.

SAL [:)C]

12. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

I like that handle. the handle on our TT is was white, but between Peter and his minions it is now dingy from their grubby hands.

I do like having something to hold on to when getting in and out of the camper.

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I have the same problem, being disabled AND fluffy!! First thing we did was install a double step on the pup. I would think if you have 13" tires and no additional lift (like us), it will fit fine. The lower step literally sits on the ground, but it closes the gap for getting INTO the pup by having the 2nd step that sits higher than a standard 'one step' setup. Once I am on the top step, I can reach in, grab the counter to the left, and the couch corner on the right and lift myself right up.

The funny part is when kids ask me why I come OUT of my camper backwards!! I tell them my knee can't make the step forward and down. I tell adults I'm just putting my best side out there first. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

[:D]

14. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

Oh Rotnmom, that is too funny!

I work with a lot of elderly and people with mobility issues. I see those suctions cup handles a lot. When they stick, they work very well and are secure, but every once in a while, someone will get one that doesn't stick no matter what.

15. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

That is why I bought black instead of white, the minions will grub it up lol [LOL]