Grand Canyon - North Rim

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by MileHigh, Jun 25, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

We spent one night here last week in site #32 which is on the outer perimeter of several loops. This is a spectacular spot with quite a bit of distance between the other spaces. It is cool at night and very quiet. This site is near bathrooms and drinking water. No hookups are provided at the site.

[​IMG]

We were allowed to have a camp fire which was very nice considering the fires on near the South Rim. The rangers came by to make sure everyone had their fires under control and reminded them to douse them before going to bed.

[​IMG]

We could have easily spent 3 or 4 nights here as this was our favorite spot of a 10 day trip. Incredibly peaceful and secluded.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I love the North Rim for its quiet and lack of crowding. Such a difference from the crowds and buses of the South Rim.

3. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

That's BEAUTIFUL!! Looks very peaceful....

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

North Rim is very nice, and the views, vegetation and visitation are all different than the South Rim. We visited South Rim in April, but I missed North Rim and reserved several days there in August.

The North Rim campground, as with many NP ones, has a pretty wide range of campsite setting, all without hook-ups. There are a couple of sites I really would not enjoy, the hand dryers in the rest rooms are loud, and the doors seem to all bang shut. OTOH, it is still Grand Canyon!

5. Sterman

Sterman Member

It is too bad to see the fire off in the distance beyond the south rim. It looks like the smoke is coming into the canyon.
    This is another very bad year for forest fires here in the southwest. Every year seems to get worse.

I would like to get back to the north rim sometime soon. It is so much more peaceful and quieter than the hustle and bustle of the south rim. It's also considerably higher in altitude than the south which helps to make the summer temps more pleasant.

6. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Wow that looks great, I have to agree the crowds are nothing like the south rim especially during the summer. Thanks for sharing the pics.

7. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

Thank you for the photos. We'd like to see if we can get GC in this year, and I've been thinking South Rim sounds better.

8. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

The south rim of the Grand Canyon is the tourist area of the canyon. More people, more things to do. The north rim is more secluded, and less traveled. The north rim also is hands down the better place for the beauty of the canyon.

9. MRFIXIT

MRFIXIT New Member

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon was one of the first trips in the NTM PUP.

[​IMG]

It was interesting to note that there are no bears at the North Rim. No bear-proof trash cans. President Teddy Roosevelt had them eradicated, and there are no mountain ranges that connect to the North Rim, so they have not come back.

10. steved

steved New Member

I like the north rim better than the south rim...more peaceful, less commercialized.

The drive into the north rim was a long haul...make sure you have plenty of gas, as there is only one gas station on that ride (and its like 90 miles into the park if I remember right?).

Back in 2007, we stayed at the commercial park right at the turn off into the park...it was probably the worst place we stayed at during the entire week long marathon.

11. jdy2

jdy2 Member

We just stayed at the South Rim for 3 nights, our first Grand Canyon visit. Next time we'll do the North Rim ... South was nice but felt like "Nature's Disneyland" in places.

12. Sterman

Sterman Member

It's amazing that the distance across from the South Rim to the North Rim is about 2 miles, but it is about 200 miles by road to get from one to the other!

13. steved

steved New Member

That's why a lot of folks never see the north rim...too far to travel in a day, and not a whole lot of places to stay (read: hotels). Plus all the commercial activities are on the south side, like the donkey tours and helicopter rides.

They were conducting controlled burns when we were there in 2007, so it was a little hazy on the north side at times. It was kinda weird driving down the access road with fires right on the berm of the road...

14. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Hmm... not sure I believe this story. Would be interested in a source?

15. MRFIXIT

MRFIXIT New Member

That is what the park ranger said when someone asked why the trash cans were not the bear-proof type used in almost every other park.

16. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

I did some research on this President Roosevelt and the bear thing and couldn't find anything to support the story. I would be willing to say that if there are not bears now then there probably haven't ever been bears there due to the isolation of the perticular mountain.

I am still looking though. [:D]

17. NotRufnIt

NotRufnIt Total PuP Noobs! But Gettin' Better!

I'm not so sure about this either. I've lived in northern AZ over 25 years. I've spent a lot of time at both canyon rims. I know there are some myths or urban legends about the Kaibab Plateau. I found this: http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/story1.html
    Still looking for specifics regarding bear. Stay tuned! [RTM]

18. Sussya

Sussya Member

We loved the North Rim. It was our first time visiting, but we'd been to the South Rim. North Rim was much more peaceful, and if you stay at the North Rim CG, the canyon is right there. It's gorgeous.

[​IMG]

Mealtimes were a lot of work, due to the fact that we were cooking on the outdoor stove on the PUP, and the table and fire ring were several yards away. Gonna have to figure out some sort of outdoor kitchen for convenience in CG like those. A little hard to set up the awning, too, since the vehicles had to be parked on the pavement. There was enough shade while we were there anyway, so opted not to use the awning.

There was a general store, warm pay showers, flushing toilets, dump station, and clean drinking water available, but no hookups. We'd definitely go back. We wrote a little blog post on the campground here if anyone is interested:

http://www.thepopupprincess.com/pop-up-camping/the-big-two-week-road-trip-north-rim-grand-canyon/

19. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

When I commented on this thread in 2013, I never dreamed I'd be camping here a year later! It's a gorgeous and peaceful campground. No hookups. Pull through sites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. AZTECA

AZTECA New Member

Re: Grand Canyon - North Rim????

We are considering taking a large family trip out the Grand Canyon and I originally did all my planning based on going to the south rim, but after reading this post, I am re-considering and thinking of looking into the north rim. My big question, are there as many kids activities (like the jr ranger stuff) on the north rim? We will have up to 15 kids with us all under the age of 14.