Grand Canyon - North Rim

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by MileHigh, Jun 25, 2013.

1. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Well folks...heading up to the North Rim Campground early in September. Ran into a fellow that had to cancel his spot there so I picked it up for a third of his reserve cost. Figured, why not. It's more of a drive than I am up for but I'll pop the hydrocodone/acetaminophen and that should hold back any typical pain to get us there. Wife and I can take turns driving too.

Everything one reads about the north rim there is positive so it should be worth the effort. I've heard its a whole different world than the south rim and we have been there so...

With three days at the campground, we plan to pull out and maybe find a hotel or something fun on the way back to Tucson to extend our stay to a week. Any good ideas, sights to see etc.? :)

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

You will love the North Rim!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HiFiDave

Just got back from the north rim campground site 15. Best site there no doubt! It's all they say about it up there, very beautiful and just quite different and more peaceful than the south rim. Coming in just past the main gate the buffalo stopped traffic crossing the road. My wife jumped out with her long lens and got some good shots for sure! Went out to Point Loma and Cape Royal of course. Kind of windy while we were there but that's ok as the wind banked off the face of the drop canyon in front of us keeping it up in the tree tops. A lot of white noise as it were. On the way home we dropped in and camped a night at Cave Spring campground in Oak Creek Canyon. Lots of lush end of summer growth there, real nice. http://www.dreamsedona.com/cave-spring-campground.html

View from site 15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Point Imperial, a must see...

[​IMG]

HAR! The buffalo stopped traffic [:D]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Thanks for the detailed travel notes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5. HiFiDave

Opps! Not Point Loma gezzzzzz...Point Imperial that is...duh, don't mind me! LOL [SNZ]

6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Heading up to the South rim next weekend then stopping in Sedona for 2 days on the way home. Wish I read this post before I made reservations last year. Next year north rim don't care what the DW says.....she sees this it may be my last post..

7. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Drove through the north side this summer on the way to Utah.

Camped in the South rim two weeks later, I am already making plans to go back to the north rim and stay a while!

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I recommend that people visit both North and South Rims if they can, even if on separate trips. Very different views of the Canyon from one rim to the other. The South Rim has more casual types of activities, such as strolling the paved pathways, and hopping the shuttle as desired. The North Rim has the overlooks at the Lodge, and there's the drive to Point Imperial and Cape Royal that HiFiDave mentions, but depends more on getting out and hiking for deeper excursions, there isn't a shuttle at NR. We drove some of the unpaved USFS roads this year, so saw views of the Canyon we'd not seen in the past. Seeing the bison is iffy - depends on where they are at any given point.
    We are relatively close to Grand Canyon, though it really takes us a night on the road to get to North Rim. I made it all the way home in one day from the Rally at Jacob Lake, but it was a long day; NR is another hour from Jacob Lake. This year is unusual in that I will get to each Rim twice. We camped in Mather CG at South Rim in March (a week), North Rim for Memorial Day week, then I visited it while at the Jacob Lake Rally. We have reservations to go back to South Rim for a few days of the first week in Nov. (Trailer Village this time, since we've encountered everything from warm weather to lows in the teens with 6" of snow on previous visits in the same time frame.)
    Fall at North Rim is still on the list for one of these days, just not this year.

9. Chris_V

Chris_V New Member

My wife and I are completely new to popup camping. We use to camp in a tent before, but only during the warm summer nights. We will be on the North Rim at the end of may, this year, with our newly bought popup.

Now I (ok... she) worry a little bit about temperature at night. North Rim of grand canyon is at more than 8000 feet. Even by the end of may, I heard that night temperature continue to be just few degrees above freezing point.
    Since we're gonna spend 2 nights there (after 3 on the south rim), I think it is not a good idea to try to use the furnace in.. a tent camper, when it is cold like that. The furnace will stay on all night and it will probably burn all my propane and drain the battery in a night or two. So the best, I think, will be to turn the furnace off, if it gets really cold; keep that propane for hot meal and coffee; have multiple sleeping bag layers and blankets; having a second propane tank might be a good idea too.... and I saw elsewhere that it is possible to insulate a bit the popup.

I saw some guys have insulated the inside (and sometime the outside too) of their popup camper, when it gets too hot outside, or too cold. To keep the warm (or cool) inside, they use Reflectix, wich is a plastic bubble wrap sandwiched between two layers of aluminum foil.
    But maybe it won't be so bad. Does anyone here has experiencing camping on the north rim around end of may? I told my wife that in the worst case, she will have to sleep in the arms of her favorite bear. My popup dealer went to North Rim, a few years ago, and he told me to keep the propane for hot meals. You cannot keep warm the inside of a tent popup with no insulation, when it is just a few degrees above freezing point outside. But maybe the tall ponderosa trees will help keep a layer of warmer ait near the ground.
    What is your experience there ?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. kitphantom

@Chris-V we've camped at North Rim at the end of May several times over the past 2-1/2 decades, in tents, pup, and TT. (We'll be there Memorial Day week this year.) The first time we went was a year that snowfall had been 175% of average, and they were literally still shoveling out trails when we got there for Memorial day weekend.
    We did use the furnace in our pup, we have solar panels to recharge the battery each day. We changed the thermostat to a digital that worked at low temps and relocated it to reduce the temperature swings. Heat retention measures are very important. We used Popup Gizmos on the bunk ends - I would not camp in any weather in a popup without them, or an equivalent, they make that much difference in hot and cold weather. Inside, we used either the bunk end liners from PUGs, or more often, clipped fleece up around the bunk ends. We never bothered with the Reflectix inserts in the windows, the fleece covered more area than just the windows (our second pup had breathable Sunbrella canvas) and was simple. We also clipped fleece up over the door and the small bit of wall space that did not have insulated curtains over it. Rugs on the floor. Good bedding. Since we had two LP tanks and recharged the battery everyday, most cold nights we'd set the furnace in the low 50s. Sometimes we'd just turn it on before bed and in the morning, it depended on how well I was tolerating cold. (We camped into the teens in both pups, but managed to have power on those trips, handy for space heater and electricity mattress pad or blanket.) We do the same for the TT.
    Here's a section with cold weather hints: http://www.popupportal.com/forums/cold-weather-camping.104/

As for Grand Canyon, North and South Rims, a lot of it depends on the weather systems. North is higher, so is cooler, but it is certainly beautiful.

Chris_V likes this.
  11. Chris_V

Chris_V New Member

Thanks for the info kitphantom. Glad to ear those tips from someone who has camp there a lot in that period of the year. Yeah, some year could be a bit warmer, and others a bit colder. We had to be prepared for both.
    A curtain to block both end bunk sounds a good idea. We can probably sleep in the middle part of the popup camper, where we have the benches and table during daytime. Good idea also for the rug on the floor. I will look at that gismo stuff. And I haven't notice yet there was a section on cold weather camping. Hey ! That site is awsome. Thanks for your time. Maybe I'll see you there this year. ;-)

12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

FEDC328F-8743-40A9-B636-28B89A7B78E2.JPG 18BCACBA-731B-49EC-927F-D0417C3DB6E3.JPG We camped on the south rim during the summer of 2001 and honestly do not remember it being overly crowded at any place other than the visitors center.

Besides the awesome canyon views our boys got a kick out of the bucks hanging out at our site.

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Great pictures everyone... Been on my TO DO list for a long time now... Have visited the South Rim many times but never driven to the North side.

Seems like my working buddy and I on a few work trips to Arizona visiting the South Rim back in the day we would always stop along the main road around the canyon and take pictures. Then everyone else would stop and do the same thing haha...

We thought about one time picking a couple of stuffed squirrels and let the folks take pictures of the canyon view in the back ground with them posing with the squirrels haha For a fee of course.... Gotta get the beer money from somewhere...

Seems like most of our Canyon trips was when it got cold around there... pretty cold sometimes...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. kitphantom

We actually clipped the fleece up around the outer edge of our bunk, since there was no place to sleep in the center section in our 8' Cobalt; the dinette was too small for adults. Since we only used the other bunk for storage, we did keep the (insulated - I lined it with blackout lining) privacy curtain drawn on that one. That meant there was only the main cabin and bunk to keep warm.
    We'll be in site 28 beginning Sunday of Memorial Day.