Gray water collection w/ outdoor shower

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Steve in Denver, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

Title pretty much says it all. I have an external shower and a pop-up tent for an enclosure...and a gray water tank for storing the water...the part that is missing is a way to catch the gray water. I was thinking about a plastic tub to stand in while showering, then dump that into the tank...so far I haven’t found a suitable tub...the mortar mixing tubs that Lowe’s/HD sell are close, but the dimensions aren’t ideal.

What is everyone else doing?

2. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

3. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

We catch the bathing water in a mid-size plastic tub. The tub doubles as container for trailer set up supplies like chocks, leveling boards, stabilizer crank, doormat, etc. and travels in the back of the pick 'em up.

Showers emphasize minimum water use. Wet down, shut off, lightly soap, rinse. We have no built in gray water storage, so bath water goes in the six gallon jug. A really big mouthed funnel catches what we pour from a corner of the tub.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like blackripley I considered the same item. I haven't had need to use my outside shower yet so not sure how well it will work . I just really like it can fold up.

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Back 100 yrs ago when we camped in a Fleetwood Santa Fe we also owned a Paha TeePee shower tent so we could use the camper's outside shower faucet as a source of warm water.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

The TP had a fabric floor insert so on top of that I'd drop an old towel to catch any over spray and we'd simply stand in a small Rubbermaid tub that would catch most of the water and we could air dry later. Worked just fine - K.I.S.S. - no need for anything more complicated than this. We found that having our own shower facilities really handy so later on I added my own DIY inside shower and eventually didn't bother with the outside version.

7. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

Lots of good replies - thanks.

[QUOTE K.I.S.S. - no need for anything more complicated than this. [/QUOTE]
    Yeah, sometimes I need a reminder.

I bought one of these...I will give it a try this spring:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Medium-Mixing-Tub-26100/301943161

It's 28x20, so it should be able to catch most of the water

Thanks again

-Steve

8. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Wonder how you get that thing to stay open. I think when set up the water in it is what's supposed to hold it open.

After digging into the images, it looks like it is self opening, and does not need water inside to hold it open. This just got put on my wishlist...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I use an oil collection container I bought at Home Depot. It looks like a five gallon container but lays on its side with a small port and collects the water. It holds four gallons. My shower takes about one and a half gallons. I then close the port and carry the container by its handle to the nearest bathroom and dump. It cost $11.

11. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I use biodegradable soap and like to think I'm "watering" the local vegetation. Of course, I boondock 99% of time and don't have CG rules to follow. Just one of the perks of living in God's country where cattle outnumber people 10:1

ReGuLtr, HappyTraveler and Overland like this.
  12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If you just want to catch the water and run off under a close by tree etc this might work. This is a Hot Water heater pan for the house. Can be picked up at any hardware store like ACE hardware etc...

This comes with a standard hose connection...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

ReGuLtr and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I wonder how much water + feet that thing will hold... Of course if you are in a hilly spot, and can run the hose downhill, connection to a gray water container would be a snap.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Here is a photo of the oil collection container I use for grey water under the shower. It holds four gallons. IMG_1279.JPG

15. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

Some great suggestions here!
    We have the PahaQue TePee tent, like one of the previous commenters, and then we got the Drain Capture Floor to go with it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EWE91A/
    I think both of these items have been discontinued. We haven't even been able to test ours out yet but I'm determined to bring it with us on our next trip after suffering a cold shower one evening at the last campground. Assuming my DH can get the hot water working in our Aliner, lol.

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If i had to build one, and i dont. I would look into a pan or catch system that would rest on like 2 milk crates, then a drain to gray water tank. Milk crates can hold food, supplies, for travel then do double duty as a makeshift stand for the basin. Good luck to all your builds.

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Okay I have been doing the thunking here as it were on this...

I can only use my example as I don't have your setup exactly so bear with my stupidity here...

Using this above linked doggie pool, it collapses and stows when not in use. Has a usable waterbed type drain you can use to pour into a gray tank, and...

Given the 32" small size model, if you hvae one of the large privy tents, the port o potty can get moved out of the way into the corner, this can be set up, and away you bathe without having to remove the toilet. Given those items of note, I am going to order up the small size for our privy.

While I have never known of any gray water collection rules for shower tents at the state parks, it appears they do have them, and you folks have made me paranoid.

18. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Do you stand on it?

19. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

How does that work? Even someone skinny couldn't safely stand on it without buckling it, or slipping off...

20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

My first thought was that he puts it under the shower drain coming from his camper.