Gray water question for Niagara Owners

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by SmilinBeard, Jun 17, 2011.

1. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

How do you know when you're gray water tank is full. We've had our 2010 Niagara [bought new in Nov.] out three times so far. Each time we overfilled our gray water tank. The way we new this was that the water came up the shower drain. Is there any way other than stepping into a wet shower/potty stall?

2. ricko

ricko Member

I just check mine everyday... we haven't showered in our Niagara yet, but I think it would fill up with one long shower.

Ricko

3. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

How do you check it? The black tank has the battery operated indicator, The fresh water, I just see where the level is by looking at the translucent tank. The gray water tank is opaque though, and I see no gauge on it.

4. OUTOFHERE

OUTOFHERE kid, wife , keys --- were are the keys

We have a 2004 Niagara with a 15 gallon gray tote that is stored underneath the rear of the camper you have to pull it out. Dose the newer ones have a mounted one? and what size is it?

5. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

It is a fixed 20-gal tank.

6. OUTOFHERE

OUTOFHERE kid, wife , keys --- were are the keys

interresting you got me [?:~{]

7. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

My 08 Arcadia has the same tank and it has in the past come up through the shower. I know exactly what you're talking about. What I have done in the past is too keep the tank emptied as much as possible. Sometimes it seems like a pain but if you check it a couple times a day, depending on how much you use it, you should be just fine doing that. If you dont use that much water, then maybe you only need to dump it every couple/few days.

8. vergergc

vergergc New Member

We have an 07 Niagara. I tested the capacity of the grey tank and find it's full with 13 gallons (in a 20 gal tank). That's when it starts overflowing the tank - pooling on the top, and running onto the ground. It doesn't back up in the shower. Does this happen because we aren't getting it completely emptied when unloading at the dump station? Seems odd to me. Any ideas?

9. Sportside

Sportside Member

The only way we can tell if the tank is full is when it starts coming up thru the shower drain.
    Our gray tank never seems to drain right. I can leave the valve open for 15-20 min and still have water slowly draining out of it.

10. vergergc

vergergc New Member

The same thing happens when I try to drain our 2007 Niagara. Seems like there'd be a way to improve this situation. Thought someone might have a slick mod to share.

11. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We have a 2008 Niagara, other than when it comes up in your shower (that's never happened to us, maybe we never had ours full yet ?) I believe the only way to tell is when the gray tank is dripping underneath the pup from the overflow vent.

I have had the gray tank dripping before once or twice, then it stops dripping as soon as I drain the gray tank some.

12. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Here are some helpful hints for Fleetwood owners with gray water tanks like mine (I have a 2007 Niagra BTW). The grey water tank will fill and overflow into the shower, and there is NO WAY to check its level until that happens. You can buy after market sensors that will tell you like this one:

http://www.title-3.com/WaterLevelIndicator.htm

As far as the water running out real slow. Fleetwood screwed up on this one. They did not put spacers under the farthest side from the drain. So your trying to drain a level tank. Yuo can place some kind of spacer between the tank and the metal staps so the tank it tilted towards the drain. This will help alot when draining.

Hope this helps!

JJ

13. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Thanks for the tips [8D]

14. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

15. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I have been having only 1 issue with my Arcadia. When the grey water tank is overfilled it does start to drain from the exterior. I thought it was a bad connection. Are you saying there is an overflow vent? Where is it.

16. vergergc

vergergc New Member

Thanks Yellowkayak!

My grey tank overflow seems to be happening near the inlet pipes - not at an overflow vent... unless there are two of them on top of the tank. Since this happens, we have never had a back up into the shower - lucky us. But this 07 Niagara is still very new to us.

17. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I'm not sure the tank is supposed to leak. It sounds like my tank is leaking in the same spot at the inlet. The dealer said they fixed it last year, but its still doing it. Not sure what it is but I dont like it. Even though its out of warranty, my dealer said they will fix it....since they have tried twice now, the first being when it was under the factory warranty

18. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

SB,
    Click on my camera and look for my avalon mods. I installed seelevel II gauges on it. Grey, fresh and battery were easy to install. Could never figure out how to install black water sensor, but you have the cheap Coleman installed.

Grey water tank shouldn't leak if it was properly installed. It should always back up in the shower.

As for emptying tanks, black water was easy. I used a board as the dump station on the opposite wheels to tip the pup so the grey water would drain quicker.

Sandra510 likes this.
  19. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Darn, looks like I have some replairs to make now. lol I figured it drips when full because I thought I remembered reading on some other camper forum that the gray tank may leak out of the venting system if full.

Guess I need to find out exactly where on top of the tank it is leaking from when full, I am thinking I will find it leaking from the same spot as you other guys, near the inlet pipe.

20. gixer

gixer New Member

Any ideas where to get a gray water tank for my 03 Niagara?