Gray water tank storage

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by HenryJ, Aug 3, 2011.

1. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad

I decided that we might find a gray water tank useful. A suitable place to carry it out of the way was needed. I did lots of looking and found nothing similar to what I had in mind. I really did not want to lose space on the deck. Lifting it up there was not something I was looking forward to either.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hanging it underneath seems like a good idea. We won't need it all the time and it will be handy when we do. The aluminum diamond plate tray hangs down an inch lower than the fresh water tank. No lower than the stabilizers or the accessory tube that we mounted just in front of it.
    Hinged on one side the ramp makes it easy to deploy and "I hope" easy enough to stow.
    I decided that a ten gallon tank would be enough. That is half the fresh water tank. The size is right to fit underneath without hanging down too low, or being too heavy to stow when full.

Just thought I'd share the idea. Good , or bad? Time will tell.

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

looks like a good idea! I'll have to take a look under my camper to see what I can figure out!

3. smellott

smellott Livin' in NH but a WV Mountaineer for life

Nice job Henry. How are you securing it while in transport? Have you tried towing with it attached yet? Curious if you can hear it rattle.

NHeer

4. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad

THX!
    The tank just rides in the tray. I doubt that I will need to stabilize it further. If it needs some help I may attach some high density foam blocks to the interior. The hinged latch/end is weighted to remain closed, however I did attach Tee handle draw latches to either side to keep it closed tight in the rough stuff.
    I have not towed it since installation. The tank moving around inside the tray is all that could rattle. The tray is very solid once raised. I did not want it loose , that could be a problem in the long run.
    I am very sure that there is no way I would hear anything from it, even in the really rough offroad stuff. Well, maybe gravel hitting the diamond plate. It would be hard to tell where that was happening though ;)

5. yogi

yogi New Member

Now that's brilliant!

6. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Great mod, nice job

7. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad

I apreciate the kudos, thx.

Here is a picture of the latches:
    [​IMG]
    Rubber Tee handle draw / hood latches, small (2.5")

8. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Nice mod!

9. wcasey5

wcasey5 New Member

A hA! Thought I recognized you. Excellent mod, your's came out much cleaner than mine. As I mentioned on the other site, I towed this setup approx 1100 miles or more so far this summer with no problems. I was going to make something like yours to hold my tank, but then I figured I would always be carrying an empty tank so I just used chains. This is what I did.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=47474.msg355336#msg355336

10. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Nice work!

I've been considering a portable poo tank for those times when we stay at an electric-only site for an extended period. I'll have to look and see if I'd have room for something like this. [:)C]

11. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Great Idea!

The photos may be deceiving, but it appears that the latch end of the tray is near the center of the camper and the hinged end of the tray is near the side of the camper by the steps. Do you have to reach very far under the camper to raise and secure it? If so, maybe you could switch the ends so the hinge was near the center and the latch was near the side of the camper. Since you're using a steel rod to attach it to the camper frame at each end, this seems like it would be an easy change.

Let us know how it works for you.

My [2C],

JR

12. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Very nice job....

13. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Nice job, I am going to do something similar on my TT. I have seen others do it and its a great way to carry the tank.

14. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Wow- really well done installation. You're right, when you don't use something every trip, it makes wasted effort to have to move it twice every setup/teardown.

15. JenP

JenP New Member

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
    Do you think this would work to haul home a full gray water tank? Sometimes we primitive camp where there is not even a dump station and have to take home the gray water. Currently the only place to store the tank (empty or not) is inside the camper, under the couch.

16. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad

I do and I plan to carry mine full to a dump station stowed in that position. That was my intent from the beginning.
    I have a small front deck , but with a cooler up there, I would have little room for the tote tank. I have other things I would rather do with that space. This solution stows the tote tank in an otherwise wasted space. It sure seems like a win? My only concern will be the amount of dirt, mud and debris that may accumulate in that tray. I thought about drilling large holes in the bottom, but decided to "play wait and see."
    I will know much more after completion of our next expedition planned for late August. Trial by fire so to speak. It will get a good test.

17. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

HenryJ,

Was this assembled with welding or mechanical fasteners? Do you remember the thickness of the diamond plate you used and how is it working now with some use? Great idea, I'd love to do this to mine!

18. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad

The aluminum diamond plate is welded. It is the bottom portion of a bedside tool box that I recycled. I am guessing the diamond plate is about .090" maybe? 3/16" thick or less?
    I am sure you could assemble it with pop-rivets too. Maybe find a cheap toolbox on craigslist?

It has been working GREAT. Sure nice to have it tucked out of the way. I have not needed to haul it loaded yet. I have been able to dump it, but I am sure I will get to test that eventually.

19. phalynx

phalynx Member

I assume you added the shocks to the axle yourself? Do you have a build thread on your trailer somewhere?

20. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad