Great Article About Greater Towing Capacities in Europe

br00n0

Sep 26, 2012
Hi there!

I found this great article explaining why in Europe the towing limits are much greater than here in North America.

You regularly see a Forester or Focus towing huge trailers on UK/Germany/France roads. And still the Forester in the US/Canada has 1,500lbs towing limit!

A great read and even has scientific formulas for those geeks out there!

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

It's a great read, I think!

B.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Take notice of a few important items ...

1)- "3. None of this takes into account crosswinds, cooling systems, hp, or braking effectiveness."

More importantly ..

"DON'T assume for one second, Americans, that you can simply use Europe as a guide to towing above your limit, its not going to be safe at our speeds DON'T put me and my family in danger or embarrass us in front of the other countries."

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
'US tow safety prioritizes a naturally safe dynamic situation so that more people can pull at freeway speeds with less likelihood of incident. There is no doubt that using this method results in an inherently safer tow situation as it relates to vehicle dynamics.'

'Americans! Be proud you can pull . . . with a greater degree of safety and at higher speeds than our Euro friends.'

The comments are highly entertaining with the author making many responses.

br00n0

Sep 26, 2012
Snow said:
Take notice of a few important items ...

1)- "3. None of this takes into account crosswinds, cooling systems, hp, or braking effectiveness."

Yeah, it was mainly about total towing weight only.

But I liked the explanation of where the trailer weight was distributed before/on top/behind the axle and the implications on the tongue weight and overall trailer behaviour.

So what are the lesson(s) to be learned here?

The closer you are to your towing limit, the slower you should drive?
The closer you are to your tongue weight limit, the slower you should drive?
If you have good brakes and a good transmission, you should be okay up to your towing limit?

I guess one should always do the total weight (vehicle+stuff+trailer) calculations too (GCVW)...

B.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
br00n0 said:
The closer you are to your towing limit, the slower you should drive?
The closer you are to your tongue weight limit, the slower you should drive?
If you have good brakes and a good transmission, you should be okay up to your towing limit?

Or get a 3/4 ton or higher rated truck and don't worry about any of it [:O]

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
br00n0 said:

We use TW as a substitute for having a center of gravity in front of the axle so we assume that a trailer with 10% TW has a center of gravity farther forward than one with 4% tongue weight.
The farther the center of gravity is in front of the axle the more stable as it relates to vehicle dynamics.
We should also be able to spot a poorly designed PUC trailer (for freeway speeds) that has less than 10% TW empty!!!

Scroll way down in the article and see a truck towing a poor loaded uhaul swaying!!!!
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--MQuRDqW7--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/hp8qgjch8inx6gphqmgf.gif

Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
Interesting article but it made me curious about the credentials of the writer and the website.

I'm not familiar with the website but it appears to me this is simply a post from an anonymous person on a car forum. To me the author has ZERO credentials.

He/she states that they have a degree in communication yet it is a poorly written post with many grammatical and typographical errors.

Although I believe his/her basic concept is correct, take it all with a grain of salt. It is only an anonymous post on a car forum by an author who admits they are not accredited at all in the field of discussion. Since it isn't known how much towing experience the person has, I feel that I and many people on this forum are far more qualified.

Latest posts