Great Campgrounds for small children?? (5yrs and under)

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by tandt, Aug 27, 2014.

1. tandt

tandt Member

Looking for some suggestions for next years camping plans [;)]
    We have 2 small children (now 4 and 2) and just purchased our first pup a couple of weeks ago (1998 Coleman Cheyenne).
    We did our first camping trip with children this past weekend at our favourite place to camp - Gravenhurst KOA.
    Although we had a great time and found enough things to keep the kids busy we soon realized that while a site that is mostly dirt didn't bother us before kids it is another ball game now that the kids are with us [:O]
    I have heard that the Barrie and Cookstown KOA's are quite grassy and we are planning a trip to Cookstown for Sept but I am also looking for other CG suggestions that might offer large grassy sites?
    Also we had booked a site right near the washrooms for convenience but found the other campers very noisy up to and shortly after 11pm and since the kids went to sleep just after dark it made for a bit of a frustrating evening for this mommy [:(] so any suggestions on areas that would also be quieter would be greatly appreciated!!
    Sorry for the long post!!

2. yukonsjoy

yukonsjoy New Member

My brother and his wife and kids just came back from Harrison Park in Owen Sound and they said it was great. From the pictures and what he told me, nice playground, good sites.

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk

3. tandt

tandt Member

Thanks yukonsjoy!
    I forgot to mention in my original post that we also need to have hydro and would prefer a water hook-up as well.

4. Phranc

Phranc New Member

For entertainment of children you sort of have three choices. A destination Campground, such as Yogi Bear/Jellystone that has amusements geared towards children. Regular campgrounds that near to destinations. i.e. near King Dominion, Six Flags, or Bush Gardens. Then there is make your own amusement. Scout out some campgrounds then use Google to scout out attractions and amusements in the area. This will be, by far, the most economical.

5. ridefast84

ridefast84 New Member

I like to go to a remote location with another family. Other capers usually big us as they are disrespectful and too loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mws

mws Member

Whispering Pines by Santa's Village near Bracebridge came highly recommended by my neighbours. We really enjoyed Happy Hills near Embro, they have almost every kid-friendly amenity you could think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. gzank6

gzank6 Member

Didn't catch your area but doubt I know it. It does get frustrating with the noise from other dampers it's always going to happen though. The better we wear them out the earlier they sleep. We are cool with the dirt we bring sand or dirt toys but we beach camp a lot so that really keeps them busy. My wife gets them going with crafts out of rocks leaves or whatever you can find around .which is part of the adventure , making the coolest craft out of whatever you can find.

8. tandt

tandt Member

Thanks everyone! There are lots of great suggestions and I am looking forward to trying some out next season [:D]

9. Platinum6316

Platinum6316 Member

Our favourite for kids is Cedar Park Resort just north of Bowmanville.
    For $65 a night, you get a full serviced site and access to the water park, which has 4 different areas from toddler splash to big kids structure.
    Their regular playground is also a large open area with different areas for different age groups.

10. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

Not sure how far you want to travel but the Ivy Lea KOA in Gananoque is amazing for kids. I have also heard good things Barrie and Cookstown.

11. tandt

tandt Member

Thanks Guys!! [:D]
    Lots of great ideas here!
    We are going to the Ontario Rally at Emily PP this year and are definately going to try the Barrie KOA but I will also look into some of the other suggestions as well [;)]
    As always you are very helpful - hope to see some of you at the rally!! [PU]