great Rambo knife for the pup

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by turborich, Aug 3, 2011.

1. turborich

turborich Active Member

2. CalKat

CalKat Member

3. dclm

dclm Member

4. dclm

dclm Member

Ok quick question, I may have missed it, but is this waterproof? It should be right??

5. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

I'd go for one of these before I went with an inexpensive knife. That's the emergency services version of the FUBAR tool by Stanley

[​IMG]

This is the construction/demolition version. It's a lot less expensive than the above.

[​IMG]

One of these is in the TV. It's a Gerber LMF II ASEK version. The ASEK was for aircrew and is optimized for getting into or out of aircraft (or cars). The hilt is a hardened point for breaking plexi-glass or other glass like vehicle windows. When I got it, it came with an additional strapping cutter for cutting seat belts, webbing straps etc safely without harming the person strapped in. I don't know if they still come with that. It was a standard accessory with the knife when I got it. The other LMF versions did not come with the webbing cutter. Still available here, it is on close-out.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lmfiiasek.html

[​IMG]

It's a slight (ahem) possibility I have something else for animate objects around.

You might want to check on some of the Youtube videos about the LMF II series of knives. See just what they can do. If I'm going to be trying to get somebody out of something, I want a tool that will last longer than I will.

6. CalKat

CalKat Member

Those funny looking (sorry) emergency tools look like they may be useful for the TV. Where do you find those?

7. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Ah- I was wondering if anybody else kept a Gerber LMF in the PUP. Mine has the black handle, Don't leave home without it, great knife and worth the price. Friends do not let friends use cheap knives.
    MR

8. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

9. dclm

dclm Member

Yellow, that's the same one I have.

10. EastBeast

EastBeast NO soup for you!

I just searched for Chuck Norris knife ..nothing comes up. I'm not sure how Rambo finagled this.

11. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

The FUBARs Functional Utility Bar construction/demolition tools are available at Home Despot. The jaws are made to fit over 2x boards. I've seen the shorter versions. Not sure about the longer versions. They are in the hardware tool section near the crow bars. I'm thinking of putting one of the long ones in my Urban Search & Rescue kit in the tool box on my truck. I already have a crowbar there. Make a good thing to have in an earthquake.

The Forcible Entry versions, probably are easier to find on line. They are optimized for emergency services, the head is made to penetrate metal and turn the valves and covers on fire hydrants.

When in doubt get both. [;)]

12. ShaunWhite

ShaunWhite New Member

I am a firefighter and do own a "FUBAR" tool and the amount of stuff that tool can do is amazing! Now for the camping world it has a couple of functions, but still an awesome tool none the less. Plus is heaven forbid something happens to the camper while your inside of it and need to pry stuff off or cut, this will do the job

13. turborich

turborich Active Member

I still say for the price you can't go wrong with the HF survival knife. It has very good reviews and you won't find a better value for under $10 bucks. Some of those other things are not knifes but multi tool types costing 8 times as much.

They also sell an 18" machete at HF for around $8 bucks.

14. electronflux

electronflux Member

15. Whiskeyme

Whiskeyme Virginia Beach, Virginia

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I always thought FUBAR stood for "F***ed Up Beyond All Repair"

These survival knives all crack me up. Just in case we get lost in the woods with our pups. [LOL] The Rambo knife that has the screw open handle is really cute, though.

17. M_J_K

M_J_K New Member

My [2C] is any leatherman tools I'm on my third one (keep loosing them when I'm in a hurry) they have gotten me out plenty of situations and the quality is superb

18. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

For a minute there, this thread turned into an arms race. You just don't see that much any more, do ya? [;)]

@turborich, I'm with you, I have one of those and it'll do fine to get the job done. The bear coming in through the window isn't going to stop and ask how much you spent on the knife you're hurting him with. I also carry one of these.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11330700

I read somewhere recently that they are much more effective than pepper spray. Plus I never go anywhere without my pocket tool either. I do like the look of that fubar and may add one of those. I just searched HDs website and you actually can search the word fubar. s'funny!

Recognition, I believe.

19. caper75

caper75 Switchin to Glide...

Just made me smile you called it a Rambo knife...guess we're dating ourselves with our believe it's actually called a Rambo knife. I wonder if I said that to a 15yr old if they'd know what we were talking about.

20. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest