Great Smoky Mountain Park Closing this Weekend Because of Florence

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Nani2, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Sweet. Free camping. [:D]

Orchid likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sure hope elkmont doesn't close but I'm very worried. I haven't seen or heard from anyone regarding any closures in Elkmont and haven't been able get a hold of anyone on the phone. I'm driving up this weekend. I figure I will bring my tent as well as the camper and won't bother setting up until after the threat. Groan. Grossing my fingers.

4. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We have free tickets to Dollywood that expire soon and were thinking of going this weekend. The forecast is "Tropical Rainstorm" on accuweather for Sunday. Six hours of rain in the day and four at night. We'll pass.

5. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I just tried a dummy booking and 96 of 211 sites are available tomorrow night. So I guess it's open. It wasn't on the list of closures but it says they can add to later. Hope you have fun and stay dry. Welcome to TN.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Thank you. I'll be sure to watch the website carefully as well. I'm hoping being on the TN side there would be a lesser impact as the mountains would slow it down some. I think . It's flooding I'm sure is the biggest worry. It's a very wet storm.

7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you are in northern VA, but I may know where there are some great campgrounds about 3 hours from you.

8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Think several of the Va State Parks are closed to both day use & camping, transferred our 5 day trip from this past Thursday until Nov. for Claytor Lake; Claytor is scheduled to reopen Monday, but since it it fed by the New River which flows northward from NC, gonna be interesting to see wazz up, lake's been lowered, but Sunday & Monday are supposed to extreme heavy rain days in the NRV & RV from the tropical storm approach, hoping the winds are minor...