Great weekend, but PUP sways like crazy!

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Tdogg, Feb 20, 2013.

1. smokincanuck

smokincanuck Member

If that "SWAG" rack is for the back of the PUP it solves nothing. If you are putting an adapter at the hitch to carry the bikes between the truck and the PUP my concern would be turning i.e. you want to be able to put the TV and PUP at sharp angles to each other without crushing your bikes. Other than that would be the added tongue weight......with a bed full of fire would, the tongue weight of your PUP plus the bikes in there you'd want to be careful you're not exceeding any limits of the F-150. My gut say probably OK, but you'd want to be sure.

If the truck bed is out, IMHO the roof of the PUP is a good choice too but can be $$$$$. Also there are bike racks available for OVER the truck bed from both THULE and YAK but again, be prepared for some heavy $$$$$. But my arguement has always been.......what is your safety worth and the safety of the people who share the road with you.

Every camping season I'm amazed at the number of poor setups all over the road (not saying you're one of them) but got thinking about it since we're on the ever popular "how to take my bike" discussion. My guess.....perhaps ever 1 out of 3 people take the time and/or money to set up their hitching right, have an adequate TV and properly secure bikes.

Good luck.

2. Livin2Camp

Livin2Camp New Member

We use that bike rack (Swagman S64955), it works perfect on my SUV and truck. I bought an extra hitch and the bike rack stays attached to the hitch so I can use it on either vehicle. Sometimes I tow a utility trailer with the truck and don't want to mess with the bike rack. The bike rack and hitch stays in the shed until we get ready for it. It's easy on, easy off....good thick pipe, no sway on the bikes, works perfect with the camper (and without).

3. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

In addition to weight distribution, make sure you look at tire pressure.

Must be within 2-3 lbs of recommended pressure. My tires are max 80 PSI!!! must be no less than 75 lbs closer to 80.

Dealer explained that if they are under inflated you wind up riding on sidewalls, even though it may not look it to your eye, which is not as stiff as the tread and contributes to sway.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yes, it's very important to have both tires inflated equally -- right to the pressure indicated on the sidewall. Running under pressure will increase tire wear and shorten tire life.

5. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

not only does low pressure increase wear and shorten tire life but it makes the tires run much hotter, increasing the chance of a blowout. The higher temps come from the excessive flexing of the rubber.

6. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. Just reporting back, I purchased a hitch similar to this one:
    [http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D210.html?feed=npn&gclid=CIH90vndsbYCFQzqnAoddlQAsg]
    and it solved my problems. I had no issues turning or manuevering, though I did remove the bikes before backing in to my site. No sway issues and completely rebalanced the load.

7. xshield

xshield New Member

Tdogg: I purchased the same mount and for my set up a few weeks ago and have had good sucess. My only problems in getting three bikes to fit on my rack. My little girl's bikes don't have round tubes they are oval and make mounting a difficult task.

8. yetibiker

yetibiker Darksider, family adventurer

I think that drag also comes into play when you load bikes on a rack on the back of your PUP. It isn't just the weight. Those bikes act like an aileron on an airplane and push the rear down and the front up and make a lot of sway.

I am also using a curt rack like the OP mentioned to haul bikes between the TV and PUP. Careful loading and lashing the bikes forward prevents interference when backing up, but it still obstructs the barn doors of my 'burb until the bikes come off and that is a PITA.

The way to go is a rack properly mounted on the roof of the PUP toward the front. I am a big fan of the Yakima stuff.

9. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

A combination of more tongue weight and moving the bikes to a roof top rack on the pop up will do the trick. Moving the bikes to the roof top rack on the pop up just may eliminate the need for more tongue weight. Had that problem years ago out west, no bikes, added a basketball sized rock to the tongue cured the problem. The Rock was quite heavy, but it eliminated all trailer sway.