Green Lakes State Park (Fayetteville)

Discussion in 'New York' started by jenventola, Sep 6, 2016.

1. jenventola

jenventola New Member

http://nysparks.com/parks/172/details.aspx

70 sites with electric hook-up (30 amp)

No water/sewer hookups; believe there was one water spigot/dishwashing station outside the bath house. Pets seemed to be allowed everywhere except for sandy beach area.

Stayed here in August of 2015

Site Details: Rolling Hills Loop, site #101. Site was very shaded, and probably the most secluded of anywhere else in the loop, since we were on the end. However, we were surrounded by nothing but poison ivy on 3 sides. It was crazy. I’m shocked we didn’t all get it; we were just very careful not to venture out of the cleared area. The playground was in clear view of our site, which was great for our 5-yr-old. As far as campgrounds go, this is is probably my least favorite of everywhere I’ve stayed. I’m used to the more secluded, wooded sites in MD state parks, but this was essentially a ring of tightly-packed sites with virtually no separation, with a large field in the middle. Ours was one of the only sites with any kind of shade. It was PACKED, and very noisy.

Facilities/Overall Park: Bath house was centrally located, in the middle of the field. Relatively clean, but not nearly enough to accommodate all campers in the loop. Only two shower stalls, and there was always a line. Campground aside, the park itself was very nice. The lakes were gorgeous, and there were really nice, wide, paved walking trails around them. There was also a sandy beach area for swimming. We were there for a family reunion, so spent most of the time at the picnic shelter, with the exception of a brief walk around the lake. Wish we could have explored the park more.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: Only place we explored nearby was Cazenovia, which is an adorable little town. Lots of cute shops, nice lake, great farmers market. We also stopped for a photo op at Chittenango Falls on the way home. The waterfall was beautiful, but we admired it from the side of the road (did not hike down).

Overall, this is a pretty park, but I wouldn’t camp there again. Note: we camped here in a tent (before we purchased our PUP), but saw many campers there, and they were packed in tight.

2. upstate family

upstate family Member

I live in the Syracuse area and everyone says such great things about Green Lakes. I have never been. Sorry you had a less then positive experience. It sounds like it would not be a great place for us either.

3. gonyr

gonyr Member

I was there about 10 years ago as a tent camper. I remembered it as being a great place, and had it tentatively on my list for next summer in the PUP. Might have to reconsider.

4. lisainthewoods

lisainthewoods New Member

Having spent many days at the beach and in the park in general, I can tell you it is a very beautiful place. The lakes, both Green Lake and Round Pond are unique and beautiful. I last camped there 20 yrs ago so I can not really say how it is today. This time of year I'm sure it is quieter. One thing to be aware of is that they have had a problem with ticks, especially on the trails.

5. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

My DW and I along with my DD and her family stayed there about 3 years ago. It was a nice park and we liked the area. The two sites we had did have a lot of standing water in them from the rain and didn't seem to drain well. We were right across from the open field on site 110. My grandchildren had a real goo time and we met a number of great people. One real interesting thing though. The park staff gave a site to someone who had a very large motorhome. That was on the other side of the open field. Well, the site was way too small for the motorhome and the guy buried it. For the next couple of hours, everyone watched him and the park staff work to get him freed. Needless to say he didn't stay in that spot.

6. SandInMahEye

SandInMahEye New Member

My son and I stayed across from the play ground in that same loop, last spring. I forgot the site number, but it was convienant because my son spent a lot of time at the playground, making friends and playing games, even after dark. Lonely for me since I was left alone at the campsite, spending a lot of alone time.. wish I brought stuff to do besides cooking. My site had a tree or 2 for shade the open field behind us which left space to play games. A neighbor had a electronic dart board attached to their tree, which I found intriguing. lol It's an OK park to camp at. Ive stayed at worse. Swimming, fishing, paddle boats available, but not close to the camp ground. I had to drive down to the beach from my site, which was fine with me. I would definately camp there again.