Green wire from converter box

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Franchesca, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

upload_2021-4-18_16-3-37.jpeg This green wire that comes out of the converter box was not connected to anything. It might of gotten disconnected from something when I took out the coverter box to replace the water pump. I put a cap on it. Any ideas????

2. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a ground for the chassis (metal casing) of the inverter. However, let's not guess on this one. What is the make and model of the inverter?

Raycfe likes this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Look at the output wires from the fuse panel on the converter. You may have to to remove the face plate but on some you can see a bit of the wire with the plate in place. I'd guess it's the output from fuse 3. On my pup it's the refrigerator circuit.

There should be a rule not to use black, blue or green as 12 volt circuit wires on RVs.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Franchesca - if you don't already have the Converter manual, download the pdf for your make and model of converter and look in the pdf of manual for the diagram of connection table . This process applies to just about anything these days. And you will wind up being more independently capable than by just posting up "green wire" questions.

FYI - I attached the pdf for MY Progressive Dynamics converter (4100 series) - the green wire is a ground wire for the 110V system. Yours may be different

Attached Files:

CWiersma26 likes this.
  5. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

It's a World Friendship Company (WFCO) power converter model WF-8712.

6. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Don't guess and assume it's a ground. Many converters have colored circuits, and this could just be an unused 12V branch...

tombiasi likes this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

What is printed on the green wire? Many times there is circuit identification information on wires made for a specific application.

8. Anthony Hitchings

here is your manual, and its a bit of a disappointment

Attached Files:

9. Anthony Hitchings

and another piece of the puzzle - looks like Green wire is associated with Ground (chassis)

Attached Files:

10. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Can you use a multimeter ? If not get one and learn how to use it. They are a great time saver doing electrical trouble shooting. Don't ask here what kind to get. You will get at least fifty different recommendations.
    You can use it to find out what the green wire does. First check for voltage then check continuity to the frame.

11. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

Your manual has confirmed my original thought. It is a chassis ground. Your DC branch circuits are yellow striped, green striped and blue. The solid green is indeed the chassis ground. Confirm this by following it back and ensuring it originates from the ground bar inside the inverter before doing anything. It then needs to be brought to good contact with the negative of the battery or frame of the trailer. Someone qualified, confident and comfortable with electrical work should be performing these tasks.

12. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

upload_2021-4-18_21-49-3.jpeg
    on this diagram it showd the green wire connected on the left dide which goes to the 30 amp power cord. But in my camper the green wire is connected on the right side. When I turned the pump switch on when I had the green wire connected to the 2 black wires it blew the 10 volt fuse.

Attached Files:

13. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

I do have several different meters but I don’t remember how to use them. My husband used to show me but he died and there is no one else to help me.

14. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

Lovely that the wire colors don't match the manual.

The wires coming from the right hand side are your DC circuits and therefore the green wire is indeed a DC branch circuit if that is where it originates from.

Not ideal that the manual diagram is unreliable.

There are a lot of ways to verify that should have been done before making any connections. Such as determining that the wire did originate from the ground bar as I mentioned above. Or to ensure continuity to ground and absence of voltage. Someone qualified should be assisting you with tasks like this for your safety and to save equipment failures.

Franchesca likes this.
  15. WrkrBee

My guess. Disconnect the green wire from the black wires. It's a dead short blowing the 10 amp fuse. Tie the two black wires back together, replace the fuse, and see if the water pump works.

There are YouTube tutorials on using a multi-meter.

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

sure looks like another 12vDC + circuit to me (blue, yellow & green).
    sticker on back likely tells all!

8712.jpg

does it power anything is another question the OP would need to determine.

8712back.jpg

the incoming 30A 120v power cord is not shown (knock out on upper right), it includes a green black & white wires all in heavy black cover/insulation

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    ChiefHart and Jwwiff like this.
  17. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

Yup. 100% it is a DC branch circuit.

I gave advice based on the colors shown on the drawing in the manual, but said to follow and verify the wire comes from the ground bar before doing anything with it. The colors stated in the manual do not match the product. This is a good example of how important that verification was. Likewise, how important it is to do these tasks with someone qualified...

18. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

I disconnected the green, replace the fuse and still nothing. My other concern is the red wire. I connected it to the wire that is red/white stripe. Connected to that same wire was a seperate white wire. I tied them all in together.

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The 12v red wire connects to the 'charge line' that goes to the trailer/vehicle connector & battery +.

I've willy nillied connected wires before, never a good result!

20. WrkrBee

Why? Is this the way they were connected before? A white wire is usually a 12v ground. Red can be a power wire, 120vac or 12vdc. Could cause another short or damage equipment.

ChiefHart likes this.