Green wire from converter box

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Franchesca, Apr 18, 2021.

1. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

It looks link one of the 12_Vdc circuits, notice that the others are capped with a wire nut also.

2. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

The green wire is one of the 12-V branch circuits as shown in the above photo and the chart below the bundle of 12-V wires coming out. The land line green will be bundled with the black HOT and the white NEUTRAL.
    The picture is worth a 1000 words on this.

Franchesca likes this.
  3. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

If I am hearing this correctly I take the black wire from the pump and connect it to the green wire and white wire.

there will be one black wire left open to cap.

The red wire from the pump gets connected to the black wire from the camper. That leaves the wire that has both white and red stripe on it. What do you do with this wire?

That should do it!
    Does the battery need to be connected for this to work or just 110??

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  4. Dan4964

Dan4964 New Member

Might help Here is the manual for all wafco converters one section covers the wiring of your model and it covers the GREEN wire.

Attached Files:

Franchesca likes this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

So, it looks like the green wire is a DC circuit feed from the board. The green wire should connect to a wire (color ?) going to the pump switch. The other pump switch wire (color ?)should go to the pump hot side wire (color ?). The other pump wire (color ?), which is hopefully labeled, should be grounded to the frame or may run back to the converter ground bar.

ChiefHart likes this.
  6. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

The hot ware to your pump should connect to the green wire if you are using that circuit. The other wire will connect to the trailer ground, which will complete the circuit. Of course there should be a a switch on the HOT wire part of the circuit.
    Do not connect to any BLACK wires as they are probably 120-Vac and not 12-Vdc and you will have a real electrical problem.
    The big white ware that is in your 12-V bundle should be connected to the trailer chassis as that is the 12-V ground part of each 12-V circuit.
    Actually the sticker on the back of your converter show all of this.

7. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

Attached Files:

8. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

See the diagram showing the white wire and that it connects to ground. The pump circuit would be green wire +12-Vdc and the white wire -12-Vdc
    Disregard the other notations on the diagram, it is from a troubleshooting instruction.

9. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

The green wire on the right connects to the battery circuit 2nd slot and keeps blowing.

10. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

upload_2021-4-21_16-38-12.jpeg
    I connected it like this and went to the RV Store today showed him the picture and he said it was correct. However when I installed a new battery today the 10 volt fuse blew again. I do not have it set to battery in the compartment yet. Stiil afraid of fire.

11. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

12. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

We are afraid of a fire, too. If he's a RV salesman, don't believe him. I believe it's a 10 amp fuse. The picture is too close. So we know the green wire is the start of the circuit. What color wires go to and come from the switch, and what color wires go to and come from the water pump?

13. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

Check the battery wire polarity, you may have the Negative wire on the Positive Post and the Positive wire on the Negative post. The bottom fuse is to protect the converter and 12-V circuits from a reversed polarity on the battery. You will have to follow each of the battery wires as sometimes a trailer mfg. will have the red wire from the converter connect to a Black wire that goes to the positive post. The other wire will be white and most likely connect to the trailer chassis.

Alsowhat position is the 10-A fuse that is blowing? Is in the bottom position or another spot.?

Attached Files:

14. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

I suggest that you get you battery wires in the correct order and connected correctly so that the Reverse Protection fuse does not blow.
    Then start on the wiring of the pump. I presume you will be using the green circuit? In your photo above, there are three wire nuts, where do all the wires come from? In other wise ID each wire to each wire nut so that we can figure out how it should be wired. I am suspicious because of all the wires involve when it should not be that many.
    I see a Red wire to a black wire to a wire nut
    I see a green wire, a black wire and a white wire to one wire nut (color codes do not jive on this connection)
    I see a red wire and a white wire to a wire nut, is this part of the pump circuit?
    What are the wire colors of the wires (2?) from the pump?, what are the wire colors of the switch circuit and what are they currently hooked to?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  15. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

I think if you are blowing the fuse in the GREEN 12-V wire position if might be that the Green is the hot wire and it is wired to the ground wire which is WHITE, which makes a direct SHORT and will blow the fuse every time.

16. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

Earlier she shared a picture that showed the following:

Red is positive to batt
    White is neg to batt
    Blue is DC circuit 1
    Yellow is DC circuit 2
    Green is DC circuit 2

The pump would need to be connected between the proper DC circuit and the neg.

If green is the correct circuit the positive lead from the pump should be on green, and the negative on white. I see white and green tied together which is a dead short. Any black wires are likely AC and shouldn't be near any of the above.

I don't mean this rudely, but there's some scary stuff going on there.
    I feel it would be wise to seek help from someone that can physically be there to assist and has electrical troubleshooting experience.

If the pump is wired to a circuit with the wrong fuse size (or directly off the battery) then the wiring is not protected. This could lead to overheating the wire and even fire.

At this stage you should work your way back from the battery verifying the connections as you go. But I urge you to get some help as I feel a lot of guessing is going on. Destroying equipment, or hurting yourself is more costly than seeking help. Hopefully a neighbor, friend or someone you know has some experience and can offer free help. I wish you all the best and hope this gets sorted out safely.

17. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

OK here it is: tYour green converter wire is the +12-V and the pump red wire is the +12-V. The black wire from the pump is the -12-V and it needs to connect to the white chassis ground. Now some here in that a switch leg needs to be wired in. I do not know the colors of your switch leg.

Look at the manual, especially Figure 2 which shows the wiring, only difference is your pump is powered by the converter so the supply wire color is different. Notice how in Figure 2 that one wire is connected to the chassis for the -12-V. The white wire is the chassis ground wire.

Attached Files:

18. ChiefHart

ChiefHart Member

You are correct, except the green wire is circuit 3 (probably a typo) Yes there are too many wires hooked together and and that is scary.
    You are correct it is very hard to provide help in this case and some of us could have this solved if we were on site and could look at the whole setup.
    I installed a WIFCO WF8735 and did not have any trouble with the wiring, but I was right there.

Franchesca likes this.
  19. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

He works in the service department. Red and black come from the pump.
    Red and black come from the water pump and 2 brownish wires come from the switch I couldn’t see what they connect to.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  20. Franchesca

Franchesca Active Member

The 10-A is the second from the top on the right. The RV repair center can fix it in June. I can’t wait that long. I’m using it now. Going to disconnect the wires to the pump and cap them individually for peace of mind.