Greener pastures little one

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by Sneezer, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

One of our cats is ill. Had to take her to the ER vet on Saturday - ragged breathing, lethargic, not eating/drinking. Found fluid buildup around her lungs, drained, X-rays done, ruled out cancer so they suspect congestive heart failure. We could do more tests to confirm, but the outlook is still very poor, 6-8 months at best and only if everything is perfect. They had her on Oxygen for 12 hours, and she had perked up when she got home that night. Ate a little, drank, and was purring. However, it appears the fluid has continued to build and her breathing/energy has worsened. Her strength has weakened, and although she is still eating/drinking, it only happens when I bring a little to her. As a result we have made the difficult decision to let her go. We will have another 24 hours with her, and tomorrow we will take her to the vet for the last time.

Her name is Padme - our son named her when we adopted her. At the time he had just begun to be introduced to the Star Wars movies, and he chose Padme as her name. We adopted her and her brother from the shelter - my wife had wanted an orange cat to call Bartlet, and I stumbled upon him at the shelter as a recent resident. When we arrived as a family to look at him and get him when they first opened that morning (they were too young to adopt earlier when I saw him first), we were told that he was found with his sister in a storm drain, and brought to the shelter. Naturally I couldn't bear to split them up, so one cat adoption became two, some 12 years ago now.

She was a great cat, and more than the others she really latched onto me. We bought a double recliner for the game/lego/office room last year. Since we started working from home she has spent the days curled up next to me on the recliner since I run my laptop to the TV to work from. At night she insists on laying in the middle of the bed - she is very jealous of my wife as we discovered some years back. Around that same time frame she started jumping on my shoulders in the morning, so she could survey her domain before everyone else got up, and frequently would ask for rides at other times of the day as well. Just within the last year or so she decided she really liked having a pillow to sleep on at night, so a spare pillow sits on the bed between us for her to sleep on. In fact, every night until recently she insists on blocking the TV from my wife while she tries to get settled, asserting her position in the house.

When my son would build Lego she insisted on being in the middle to "help" by laying on the actual Lego pile, laying on the instructions, or batting at things when he would reach for them. She would walk into the camera during zoom meetings, and swipe and chew on my pen as I was writing.

She especially enjoyed chasing wrinkles in the sheets and blankets when we made the bed, and had a favorite string worm that she would chase on top of the bed as well. She loved jumping on the blanket as I flipped it straight and laid it on the bed each morning as well. She was, in many ways, the quintessential cat. The world existed for her and her alone, and while she tolerated the others in the house, both cats and humans, she bonded with me, and my son filled in when I was not there (much to his happiness and joy).

Padme was one of a number of most excellent cat companions I have had over the years. This moment has never gotten easier, and I do not look forward to tomorrow. It will be difficult, but I will hold her to the very end, and wish her safe travels on this next journey that she must take alone.

She will be missed.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

So sorry for your loss. I lost my 17yo cat Bliss,to the same. Except mine also developed a hear murmur she never had before. The vet thought congestive heart failure as well. They become so much a part of your family it can be extremely tough on the whole family when you loose them. The memory will always be there and will never go away but eventually you will look back with a smile on your face thinking about their antics.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sorry about your furry familly member. Just remember you are doing the right thing. Its selfish to keep an animal thats in distress or in pain alive so you can have more time with them. You can have solice that your fur baby lived a good and healthy life with you and you gave each onther companionship.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

So sorry, it is the hardest part of being a responsible pet owner.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience with Ol' Roscoe earlier this year. It's hard but the right thing to do.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

it is the hardest thing any pet owner has to do... knowing that it is the kindest does not make it any easier. i have had to make this decision four times so far - all of them were special and dearly missed. Memories of each of them are held close in the heart.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sorry to hear ........ they are a big part of any family.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Sorry to hear... Padme sounds like a wonderful cat. We lost our cat this year to coyotes. He was 14 years old and lived his life his way.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear @Sneezer, try to keep your chin up and take with you many happy memories.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the kind wishes. She spent today sleeping on my red wooly jumper that she loved to crawl into when I wore it during the winter months. She got a good final brushing, and great amounts of pets and soothing words. We took her this afternoon, where she passed as I held her. We all had a final cry with her in the car, and I stayed with her to the end. Safe travels my good friend. You had a good life, full of love and happiness, and brought us the same in your time with us. We will carry those memories until we meet again.

HappyTraveler, Toedtoes and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

She was obviously very loved by your family and my condolences on her loss. She sounds like a true Cat. She definitely taught you all that you were incompetent until she helped you. How anyone can manage to do anything without the help of a cat (or two) is beyond me. The Cat and The Cat in Training (aka The Twoony - because they are two loonies) send their purrs and cuddles to you and your family.

I lost my parrot in March and both Moose-dog and Bat-dog in May. I still cry - especially over Bat-dog as I expected several more years with her (we think it was a brain tumor). I did adopt a new bird and just a couple weeks ago a new dog. Fortunately, Cat-dog is nothing like Moose-dog or Bat-dog so I don't look at her and see them - she gets to be loved for her uniqueness.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry for the pain you are feeling right now.
    Have been there and it is never easy.