Greetings from Western Washington

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Xmom, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Xmom

Xmom New Member

Hello!

I've been lurking for a few weeks now, gathering in your expertise as my spouse and I ramped up toward purchasing our first Pup. I'm happy to say we pulled the trigger earlier this week and will be taking delivery on a 2017 Rockwood 1940LTD next weekend. (No renovation work is needed on something so new, but we already have plans to replace curtains to get some color other than brown in the thing!)

We reside in Western Washington, in a suburb just north of Seattle. We've been avid campers for years, but the work involved in car camping with a 4 year old and a 1 1/2 year old left us longing for our younger days of being able to throw the gear in the car and go. We're hoping with the gear already stowed, we can recapture some of that spirit with "hitch up, pack some food, and drive off." Please don't disabuse me of this theoretical gain of spontaneity before our inaugural trip. :)

Anyway, thanks for providing so much information and experience for those of us just getting into pup camping. Hopefully we can add some insight once we have a bit of experience with it.

I'd also love to hear of your favorite places to camp within a 3 hour drive from Seattle.

Cheers!
    Amanda

bob barnes likes this.
  2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Welcome from Ohio! As a kid, I lived in Auburn, WA while my dad worked for Boeing. You have lots of wonderful places to camp out there!

3. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

4. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Greetings neighbor!

We are also in the north Puget Sound. Though we have been camping all over the state, we focus a lot of our travels over the North Cascade Pass into the Okanogan National Forest. From where we are, just north of Everett, it's a little over 3 hours into Winthrop. There are some wonderful places to camp out there that are not crowded at all.

Of course, you can also go US2 over toward the Leavenworth/Wenatchee areas, which are also great.

5. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

welcome

6. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I grew up in Port Orchard (SK, Class of 1993) and moved my family to Anacortes after college. If you haven't been already, Fort Ebey on Whidbey Island is a fun place to camp and fly kites with the kiddos. They still have a few gun batteries and underground storage rooms that you can explore in. Welcome!

7. Xmom

Xmom New Member

My husband has done some solo (motorcycle) camping out that direction, but my explorations of Highway 20 have largely been during day trips. It's a beautiful area and I'd love to spend more time there. Thanks for the tip! How did that area fare with last summer's fires? What are some of your favorite campgrounds?

Amanda

8. bob barnes

Are you close to Tillamook?

9. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

The area near Winthrop (the Methow Valley) were fortunately unscathed by last year's fires.

We have been to quite a few campgrounds in the area. I was just speaking to my partner about this, and he suggested the campgrounds near the Chewuch River, especially if you're planning on going toward the beginning of the summer. You may or may not be aware that Highway 20 is probably going to be closed until the first part of June due to the large amounts of snow they got this past winter. We have stayed at the Klipchuck Campground, which is on the east side of the pass, and really enjoyed it- but that probably will not be open until the latter part of June, at the earliest.

Take a look at the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Website for some really good information and photos of the campgrounds.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/okawen/recreation/camping-cabins

The NF campgrounds out there are primitive (vault toilets, water maybe), but if you're willing to be a bit rustic, the area really is terrific.

I believe that the only area out there that is strictly off limits to trailers is Hart's Pass (near Mazama). My partner just said that the area by Tiffany Lake (another great area) is off-limits to trailers coming from Conconully, but not from the Chewuch side. I think that your best bet would be to call the local ranger district with any questions you might have on that.

Xmom likes this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Florida, It make a big difference camping with children when you have
    the convenience especially of getting off the ground and getting out of the weather.

bob barnes likes this.
  11. Xmom

Xmom New Member

Not very close to Tillamook, so it is out for weekend trips, but we do try to get to the Oregon Coast every summer. (Usually via vacation rental instead of camping.)

Amanda

12. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas, good to hear that parents are taking their young ones camping. Enjoy, and make many Happy Memories!!

13. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Ocean Shores and Longbeach are some more of my favorite camping spots. Winthrop was fun, too, but really hot!

14. mrobuck

mrobuck New Member

We used to live in Mill Creek, but live in Colorado now, and travel back with our PuP to the PNW as much as we can. Last year we stayed at the Winthrop KOA for a night while exploring the Cascades. Enjoyed it, and kids loved it. I understand there is another campground actually in Winthrop that might be worth a try? We also stayed at Pioneer Trails RV Resort in Anacortes and loved it. (used it as a base for exploring the San Juan Islands - though I will say it's much more of a "big rig" park, but most spots are separated by trees fairly well, and the kids loved the park area. Owners & Mgmt were/are top notch too)

15. Ryan's

Ryan's New Member

Me, my wife and 3 boys are all new to Olympia WA area and brand new to the world of popups. Bought our 72 coleman in March to get the sleeping bags off the ground and it is in the middle of an 'almost' frame off restoration/upgrade. Our goals this year is to venture away from our go to cougar rock campground in rainer, as well as to test out my soon to be repaired AWD system in our 07 Volvo xc90.

16. Xmom

Xmom New Member

That sounds like a lot of project while wrangling 3 kiddos. Hopefully they are old enough to help. :)

I've never camped at Cougar Rock, but we are planning to camp at Ohanapekosh over 4th of July weekend. Some of my in-laws are in Oly, so we're there frequently. (Home is in Mountlake Terrace.) Welcome!

Amanda

17. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

You should join us at the rally this summer.
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/2017-washington-summer-outing.109689/

18. Ryan's

Ryan's New Member

Yeah, it usually ends up as an after hours project. My oldest is but the interior is being scratch made so it's a lot of trial and error and minimal work he could handle.

We have only been to oly natl once this past winter for the Xmas tree permits. It has really nice logging roads. We plan to explore more there soon. I am making the camper self sufficient so we hope to find some off grid spots as well.

19. bob barnes

We get our Tillamook cheese from Sams in Columbia, Mo. love it wish they carried the smoked! Welcome to this site you will have a blast.

20. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Xmom, welcome to the portal from Phoenix Arizona! Kalaloch - a true west Washington campground is one of our favorite campground. Wish we can go back soon! Happy camping!