Grey water tank add on

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Brylothrop, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Brylothrop

Brylothrop New Member

How's it going? I am looking into modifying my 2514g Rockwood Premier by installing a grey water tank like the following: https://www.recpro.com/14-gallon-rv-holding-tank-40-x-14-1-2-x-8-elkhart-plastics-epi-0215h/

Only use would be for the sink water collection. I have done the tote on the ground but getting sick of lugging it around when I know I could pull the gate value and down it goes. Has anyone done similar? Any good advise? Hanging procedures that do not involve removing the floor?
    Any feedback is appreciated!

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I thought of doing something that you are planning. After rolling under the camper on a creeper, I saw that the lift system (spring tubes and cable) was in the way. So I just use the tote. Good luck with your project.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You can buy the roll around collectors at most dealers and on line, they collect the water and then hook over the ball on the TV and pull to the dump site to empty and works well, I use one on my TT usually for the gray water tank when it gets full.

4. Brylothrop

Brylothrop New Member

-thank you for your thoughts! I was thinking of mount a spacer blocks around where the cables are to keep the clearance they need. Will keep posting on any progess.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Be careful with this idea, if the tank is to low it might drag and either tear off or get a tear or hole in it..

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Other allternitives is to use full hook up sites. Just run the line to the drain.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Can't imagine why you'd bother as a GW tank with just a 14 gal capacity isn't much at all and when it's full the contents would have to be off loaded into a portable container anyway. If that occurs before your camping trip is done and you don't have a means to offload the contents of the tank that means taking your rig to the dump station. Back in our popup days I instead used a couple of 7 gal Aquatainers linked together so they'd fill sequentially, for a total capacity of 14 gals, yet I'd just be lifting one at a time into the back of the TV for a trip to the dump station.

[​IMG]

Brylothrop likes this.
  8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

[EEK] Don't mix up your tanks GrayFox, it may leave a bad taste in your mouth. :eek:

WingmanHG and kgesiako like this.
  9. GreyFox

Not shown in that pic which was taken nearly 20 yrs ago but my grey / black Aquatainers have red electrical tape wrapped around the handles, my fresh water Aquatainers have white tape. [A]

Brylothrop likes this.
  10. erich82

erich82 Active Member

One big reason many popups don't have grey water tanks is the hassle to actually empty them mid-trip. You'd either have to completely tear down and tow to the station, or dump it in another container anyways. Just use a portable tank, much less trouble.

Brylothrop and JPBar like this.
  11. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

Our pup has a grey tank that we never used but it has a line to hook up and empty just like a normal camper. Only the shower , that we never used, emptied into it. Our sink had a direct line outside where the water would just run out under the camper. The grey tank is just attached under the camper floor. We are getting ready to remove it to patch the floor because we removed the shower.
    Sorry, I am not much help with your inquiry.

12. Brylothrop

Brylothrop New Member

- Thanks for the supp
    - Thanks for the suggestions! They swayed me to not try it, and just do a double tank on the ground set up. Happy camping now the weather is starting to change here in NH.

13. GreyFox

Which is such a pain in the butt. [:(!] Campground roads here in S Ontario are often in pretty rough shape from winter freeze and are the last to ever be repaired so towing a wheeled tote tank and not having it bounce off the hitch ball can be a real challenge. One provincial park we've camped at (Sauble Falls) has campgrounds located on both sides of a roadway, with the dump station located only on the east side so if we happen to be in the west campground we'd have to tow along that roadway at posted speeds. Up in Algonquin Park there are no dump stations within the various campgrounds but is located a few kms down Hwy 60 - not fun or advisable towing a loaded tote tank at highway speeds! [:O] I learned very quickly to ditch that stupid wheeled tote tank and instead use a set of 7 gal Aquatainers labeled for the purpose. When empty they weigh nothing, when totally full each on weighs just 60 lbs so I can still easily lift one from the ground to the back of my truck for a trip to the dump station, regardless of where it's located. :grin: Doesn't matter if you're off loading grey water from a popup as I illustrated earlier or whether your off loading from a travel trailer, etc that has a conventional 3" bayonet sewer outlet, as shown below. Works like a charm. :grin:

[​IMG]

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I've seen DIY small capacity gray tanks built out of PVC pipes winding where they can.

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have an onboard grey tank that is factory plumbed to the shower only. I have never used it. I believe it is a 20 gal tank. I currently use a 25 gal Tote n Stor wheeled tank. When camping for longer than a weekend it is possible to get it pretty full. When I camp for a week I usually have to empty it 2-3 times depending on the length of stay. For me an onboard tank would be a PITA. I would still need to have a wheeled tank as there is no way I am going to break camp just to dump a tank.

I prefer the wheeled ones so I can tow them to the dump station. I have an SUV and I would prefer to minimize any water leakage inside while transporting the 7 gal containers.

16. GreyFox

Both the main cap and vent cap on 7 gal Aquatainers are threaded and close tightly so I have to ask - what water leakage? [?:~{]

17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

After the dumping process. I have a 7 gal one that I use for the outside kitchen. Invariably I manage to spill some as I am dumping - usually dribbles on the side but still warrants a quick rinse at the dump station. Then I am left with a wet exterior. Sure I could have a bag or mat in place for it to sit on but it is so much easier for me to just hook up the tote and head back.

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I have thought about this as well on our pup. I did find a spot I can install an 8-10 gallon tank. It's above the cables and between the frame rails. This would come in handy when we only have Water/electric hookups.

19. GreyFox

Sure, to each his own. [8D] Back years ago before I discovered Aquatainers I was using collapsible bags for collecting fresh water and a 22 gal wheeled tote for grey water. At the time I was towing our popup with a minivan and the bags developed pinholes, leaking water all over the minivan's cargo area as I made my way back to the campsite. [V] The wheeled tote I hated because it took up so much valuable storage space whether I stored in the van or the camper and when full dragging 200 lbs across soft sand to get it to the van was no picnic at all. [:(!] I almost lost it completely a couple of times on campground roads full of frost heaves. [EEK] Switched to Aquatainers and haven't looked back since, using them with that popup, a hybrid, a travel trailer, another popup, and another travel trailer. Inexpensive, easy to store, easy to lift even when full, don't leak - no negatives for me. [A]

20. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

I tried the wheeled tote for the first few trips and was done with it. Then I tried the Aqua Tainer method but it was still more "stuff" to bring along and had to carry to empty. It didn't work when dispersed camping without facilities to empty the containers.

I ended up adding a 30 gal grey tank towards the front of the pup that fit between the frame rails and just cleared the cables by half an inch and doesn't sit lower than the fresh water tank. I bolted some L-angles to the frame cross members and used uni-strut rails bolted to the L-angles to support the tank. Re-piping the trailer was a bit of a hassle but with a little creativity, it got done and I added a standard waste valve just for the grey. Going to the dump station isn't that big of a deal for me, have to dump the black tank anyways.

Also, keep in mind that the tank will need to vent so make accommodations for it. Looks like the tank you posted has the vent outlet on the top so it will need to be spaced off the floor for a vent tube.