1. locoleo

locoleo New Member

Ok what kind of grill do you use for cooking? Looking for something compact but can cook a few things.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I assume you are being specific in referring to grilling? As in, you want to cook steak, hamburgers, hot dogs and the like? Or, are you using it in a generic manner, meaning anything to cook on?
    People from the Portal seem to use everything from charcoal grills of tiny to large size, campground fire pits with tripod grills and the Volcano set-ups that are flexible and use different fuels and manner of cooking.
    Check out the campground cooking section, a few topic sections farther down the main page. There are lots of ideas there.

Personally,we don't grill at camp, we tried a couple of times, but not what we want to do at camp. We also do simple meals there, while others do Dutch oven cooking and other more time-consuming methods. (We tend to hike most of the day, so get back and want to eat sooner, rather than later, and we prefer to eat by 5.)

3. locoleo

locoleo New Member

Yes I'm talking specifically about grilling for burgers and such.

4. capt. dan

capt. dan New Member

Weber smokey Joe. I prefer charcoal over gas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

5. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

Hi, well we have one of these
    [​IMG]

and we put it on one of these
    [​IMG]

We absolutely love it.

Tex

6. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

Found a picture of the kitchen and grill [:D]
    [​IMG]

Tex

7. Sam III

Sam III New Member

Wife just bought me an early Fathers day gift today. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/09/6u4ezupy.jpg[/IMG
    Found it at SAMs Club for $99. It's all stainless and hooks to a 20# bottle. We carry two with us and I will no longer have to play with charcoal.

8. Kymaura

Kymaura New Member

We recently purchased a coleman roadtrip grill off of Craigslist. It folds down on its stand and has wheels at the end for easy transport. Additionally, it uses the little one gallon propane tanks. Found it on Craigslist and are purchasing he griddle attachment for it too

9. phishheadmi

phishheadmi Member

I consider myself a pretty serious griller/amateur chef. I, like many, prefer charcoal...at home I use a kamado grill/smoker but when camping I need something obviously more portable, but also quicker/easier to use.

For my money, you can't beat the Weber Q220 with a folding stand. I've been through literally dozens of grills, and I've not found a portable in any price range I like better than my little Q. I do everything from low, slow cooks to high temp searing on this grill...steaks, seafood, pizzas, ribs, bbq...everything! In fact, I have a full size char broil propane grill sitting right next to my kamado that I haven't used in nearly two years...if I want something quick, I just use the Q. You can use the green bottles, or buy a hose to hook right up to your 20 lb propane cylinder.

This'll be my fourth summer with the Q and while I take good care of it, it's really held up very well. Sure it's a little pricier than others, and definitely heavier, but that's what you need for decent heat retention and to get a good sear. This might not be the grill for someone hurting for space or weight, but there are other, smaller grills in the Q line that I wouldn't hesitate to buy either.

I know I sound like a weber cheerleader or something, but I really have been WAY more impressed/pleased with this grill than I ever expected.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have the Coleman Roadtrip LE that we got a few years ago. Has the BBQ grill on it and I was surprised how nice it works.

I still prefer grilling over a nice wood fire. Less clean up!!

11. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I too use a Weber Q220 just love it to cook on they are heavy but I like it better then my big Charbroil that I use at home.

12. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

nice set up

13. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We prefer to cook our food (mainly meat) over a nice campfire with red oak wood. I also cook on a Camp Chef stove. I'll throw a bag of charcoal in the TV for times we stop at picnic grounds to cook with. We also use DO and a tripod sometimes.

Hey tex02, that's a nice set up!

Campit

14. 4Powells

4Powells New Member

Weber Smokey Joe firing it up with a Weber Chimney.

15. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I carry a Weber Charbroil table top grill (propane),and a charcoal grill that previous pup owner left in pup. Also carry Coleman gas stove for use with cast iron skillet and griddle.

16. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We carry a Weber Q220. The Weber Q100 is smaller. It depends how much surface area you need. We use our for making nachos as well. There is also the Coleman Roadtrip grill

17. DAMN YANKEE

DAMN YANKEE New Member

we pick this up on sale for 89.00 regular 300.00, folds down and becomes a handtruck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. smellott

smellott Livin' in NH but a WV Mountaineer for life

Weber Q100 here as well. . . . . great little grill for the money and it's built to last. I'd like a Q220 for its size but like the portability of the Q100/120 series. I can cook burgers/brats and potato grillers all at the same time for my family on the Q100.

Is it time to go camping, yet? :)

NHeer

19. mrdinks

mrdinks New Member

We use a "mini" Big Gren Egg
    Well worth it.

Sent from my mobile world using Tapatalk HD

20. Escopeton

Escopeton New Member

Lodge Hibachi Grill. I love cooking on it.

[​IMG]