Grizzly grip paint repair and awning

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by bpeck547, Aug 24, 2019.

1. bpeck547

bpeck547 New Member

I'm planning to remove our ABS roof on our 98 Coleman Seapine. I've researched and read about the steps to repair the roof. What I'm not sure about and hoping I can get some input on is the awning. We like using the awning and screen room. What the best way to secure the awning track onto the roof after the ABS has been removed. Are there other options out there besides the awning track? Or does anyine have a screen room they enjoy that isn't attached to the camper? Thanks for the help!

2. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We used a combination of screws and 3M marine sealant to attach the awning track.

3. bpeck547

bpeck547 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Did you drill all the way through the foam and use a backing plate on the inside? And were you able to use the original awning track or did you need to get a new one? Thanks

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I like my pop up screen room. Its a clam knock off on amazon, Gazelle. If your going to replace the awning, i would use a backer plate and sandwiche the roof in between. Might be over kill, but i wouldn't worry about it in the wind. You could get a metal track also, and just use a backing plate.

5. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

No, we did not drill all the way through. Here is a link to the blog we kept. It lists the sizes of the screws, etc. that my husband used. https://2001colemanutahcp.blogspot.com/2016/08/installing-new-awning-roof-track.html. Yes, we did order a new track. Ours was in rough shape and we wanted to upgrade to aluminum.

Here is a similar thread on popupportal: https://www.popupportal.com/threads...rail-to-coleman-abs-roof.124731/#post-1299404

Hope that helps. : )

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I drilled all the way through on mine and then bolted a new aluminum awing rail on with big washers inside.

Tom Jordan and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Nice blog, why didnt i see that before! Lol. Lots of good info and memories. Good luck in the class a!

8. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Thank you. : )

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. bpeck547

bpeck547 New Member

Thanks again, it doesn't look like using fasteners will work with the original plastic track. It sounds like most of you opted for a new aluminum track.

10. bpeck547

bpeck547 New Member

Thanks for the advice this far. I now have the roof off and I'm getting ready to paint with the grizzly grip. Do I need to fix the imperfections in the foam. As you can see in the picture there are several areas where the roof pulled the top layer of the foam off.

Attached Files:

11. Sjm9911

Some filled it with bomdo before painting. Up to you really.

12. stacksboy

stacksboy Yeah, well...the Dude abides.

My foam was in much better condition than yours and I wish I would have filled (bondo'ed) before adding the Grizzly grip. I'll try and remember to take a few pics later to show you how it looks, you can determine from there.

13. PUPLizCA

PUPLizCA New Member

I’m eager to see pictures. Why do you wish you had bondo’ed the top?

How much Grizzly Grip did you all buy? Did you do any prep? From their website it seems there is nothing to do to prep the surface.

Also curious who used dove grey and who used white :) thanks!

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

A new aluminum awning track is cheap. You are better off using a new than having to deal with the old and brittle plastic

ezakoske likes this.
  15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Without feathering the edges or smoothing with Bondo, it may end up looking like a Chick-fil-a cow.

ezakoske likes this.
  16. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

That's funny, and also pretty accurate.....You don't "need" to bondo it, it's purely cosmetic.
    I tried to smooth mine out as much as possible with bondo/glazing compound. before GGing mine. I used 2 Gallons of white GG for my Bayside. It gets hot here and I wanted keep things as cool as possible.
    Heads-up: shipping is crazy expensive, so be prepared for that when you place your order....